No Othmir playable race huh?

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu, Aug 7, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Eveningsong Guest

Fezzes would go well with kilts too! ;)
  2. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Cinnimon wrote:
    As far as polling people and where Othmir would show up on a fixed list of things people want, I am willing to bet it would accually show up fairly low. I can think of atleast 5 things that would poll above it, then there is the fact that while there are alot of people that want a new race, not all of them would want that race to be Othmir, infact if add a race other then Othmir where one of the options, I bet that would poll better then Othmir too.
  3. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Eveningsong wrote:
    Unfortunatly, in this game the coolness of Fezzes likely won't over come the badness that is having to be bald to wear it.
  4. ARCHIVED-Quicksilver74 Guest

ttobey wrote:
    Now imagine if you will, an Othmir wielding Nunchucks! You know you wanna see it!
  5. ARCHIVED-EndevorX Guest

ttobey wrote:
    hahaha. If the team doesn't have any other projects for you, I'd consider it fine to flesh out Othmir illusions, but I'd also rather see them done all the way, incorporated as a new race.
    If that isn't a possibility, the 10 animations required for mount use/climbing would be good.

Aside from that, what I mostly want is like, at least 10-20 flying mounts, all animated well with desirable bonuses, obtainable from battlegrounds, overland PvP, instances, contested dungeons, and raids.
    Hopefully, 4 visually, racially different mounts from each of those 5 venues could be implemented, but I'm pretty sure that's vastly wishful thinking...
  6. ARCHIVED-Cinnimon Guest

kela wrote:
    I know by this time it's too late to change how they may be, but I do know this not all races structures from EQ carried over to EQ2 like for example the Kerran and Iskar race didn't. So following the EQ mold doesn't havn't to be but no matter what I say about this matter will make no difference anyways.
  7. ARCHIVED-ccarro63 Guest

ttobey wrote:
    Okay fair enough answer. You at least have my respect for giving us a direct response and I thank you for it.
    But, since this IS a feature the player base is dying for, could you not get some help with the animation portion to make this a reality? If you don't mind me asking...how were the sarnak and fae/arasai done?
  8. ARCHIVED-ttobey Guest

9. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

10. ARCHIVED-Muris Guest

ttobey wrote:
    Well, that explains why the sarnak break their back when they ride mounts, that's always bothered me with them. Run all bent over, soon as we get on a horse, we're all straight backed and looking awkard, not to mention the tail going into the mount. That was still really cool to look at!
  11. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

12. ARCHIVED-Uncaged Guest

Shareana wrote:
    Sigh, This is one of the inheritly wrong things about this game as it is constituted. You get one Dev here who takes a personal crusade to make Othmir a part of the game and I am happy for those folks who are getting what they want. Also, I applaud said Dev for sharing more information with us and communicating in a fashion we are not used to. AKA actually get real information.
    However, those of us who miss RICK ASTLEY'S on the other hand, have been laughed at, Rickrolled, and flat told NO. Never gonna happen. As I played a RICK ASTLEY in EQlive, I cannot understand the huge opposition to them. If they were so OP and generally hated, why are they still in EQ? Also, why does everyone not play one if they are so Ubah? It is sad when mere mention of a class gets censored.
    Grats to Othmir fans, at least you are getting some love. I just wish some Dev out there gave a U KNOW WHAT about RICK ASTLEYS.
  13. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Grimknight@Kithicor wrote:
    Only instance I can remember of a class actually being removed from a game is SWG, and we all know how well that was received. already been explained several times before by several people. If they were brought over 'intact' they would be unbalancing and cause problems. If they were brought over and balanced properly people who wanted them would still be disappointed because their not omg ubah as they were in EQ1. Save for nostalgia, its lose/lose.
    Also, race != class
    I'm just glad a dev is showing some passion for the game. Any chance the work you are doing will help out other illusion or player race animations in the future?
  14. ARCHIVED-Cinnimon Guest

ttobey wrote:
    I looked up images of Otters and Rats to get a picture in my mind.
    Umm... based by the picture I would have to say the Othmir race is overweight, nor anything like Otters in RL based by that sample. They don't even look like the ones from EQ either. If anything the Otter(Othmir)skeletion frame should look more like a Rat (Ratonga) because of how the back legs are. When a Otter and Rat is sitting up right they would be similar by how they support themselves. Rats in general do not have longer arms like ratonga so adding longer arms to Othmir wouldn't be way out thier since they would have involved into being more functional with finger type hands perhaps?
  15. ARCHIVED-Uncaged Guest

Neiloch@Kithicor wrote:
    I have played quite a few of the current classes to at least 50ish. It seems as the classes are constituted now, most have a very easy time soloing content. Even heroic content. EQII is not EQ. What was considered OP in EQ, would just not be so in EQII. Back when RICK ASTLEYS were brought into EQ, most classes could not solo even con mobs worth a %%%$. Save for perhaps necros, druids and mages. Solo was not really an option for DPS types, pure healers or tanks.

Many classes have a lot of the same abilities as the RICK ASTLEYS now. My Inquisitor for example can self haste, debuff, heal, DPS, and tank if need be for short bursts. Save for dual wielding and a pet, they could be considered close. Just tone down the heals, take away Res, add pet for more DPS and boom. Not OP and pretty close to current mechanics. Most ASTLEYS pets could only off tank for short periods. Most ASTLEYS could not tank save for short periods. They certainly were not good healers. Just a DPS class with flavor. Customizable at least with racial based pets.

I cannot speak for others but I would be happy with a ASTLEY class that is at least on par with other classes for solo just for the flavor. And to keep it somewhat on topic........would much rather have them than Othmir TBH.
  16. ARCHIVED-Darn Guest

kelvmor wrote:
    +2
  17. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    Nice drawing(no sarcasm here), but that's not an Icepaw. Icepaws are kobolds. That looks more like a gnoll, so it would be a Snowfang.

Either way, thanks alot ttobey for the othmir work. I was honestly expecting the thread to be locked

As to why I'd raise a stink over othmir when there are more important things I could be concerned about- Mostly it's because I have absolutely no faith in the the management team over EQ2 to get the rest right anyway. Alot of the individual devs for this game rock, but it's overall management is just.... I dont actually have a word for it. Othmir would be fun though.
  18. ARCHIVED-Uncaged Guest

Meaghan@Lucan DLere wrote:
    I guess I can see this point of view, regarding your faith in SOE management. It is just sad that you are willing to cut your losses on the important stuff because you figure it will not be right anyway. But I cannot say I blame you necassarily.
  19. ARCHIVED-Winter Guest

You know, I do have to say that I've ALWAYS thought a canine race would be amazing. They always get left in the dust when it comes to who is good vs who is bad. Most games for some reason consider dogs evil... when strangely enough, cats are more the outright predators. It's an interesting bias I see in games all the time.
    But... VIVA LA FAE!
    The Othmir look amazing. Keep it up. :D
  20. ARCHIVED-Writer Cal Guest

Oh, I've been saying that for years. A canine race to balance out this cat-lover thing is sooo needed. I think I even was /feedback-ing it one a month a year or two back. Alas.