Next playable race added--good alignment/neutral -please??? D:

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Shrell, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Shrell Guest

2. ARCHIVED-Huntress Jellica Guest

Yes!! I want to be an otter =D
    Seriously though, the Othmir are freaking awesome.. Would be cool as a player race, if (when) Velious returns Gosh I miss Cobalt Scar.. loved that zone.. and Crystal Caverns.. and, heck, all of Velious!
  3. ARCHIVED-Shrell Guest

The music on the beach in cobalt scar was and still is some of the best in either eq :D

A reasonable setting for the velious expansion is that with the shattering, it caused an unnatural warming that melted the permafrost from the continent of velious, leaving it sub tropical.
    Judging how popular the faction questing is in kunark, players could be given the opportunity to side with dwarves, giants or dragons.
    what say you sony? (im sure they already have their minds made up and the plans drawn out on whatever they are doing but it doesnt hurt to beg :D)
  4. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

Some good ideas here, devs!...
  5. ARCHIVED-Leahcim Guest

I liked Velious as a whole, but I really hate being forced into "choosing" a faction, especially being locked into it. I'm already not a big fan of the Qeynos/Freeport separation but at least we have options to realign (of course I have to change my class every time I do that).

If they do return Velious, I really hope we're not forced to choose between Giant/Dwarf/Dragon. I didn't like it in EQ1 and won't like it in EQ2. At least in EQ1 I was able to manipulate the factions enough that I had positive faction with both the dwarves and the giants.
  6. ARCHIVED-Devilsbane Guest

I suspect that the Kunark Avian will be the next playable race when they release the next neutral city (free content). We have a few hints. First, the large fourth island in the TD zone that is currently unavailable. Second the Sarnak are only interested in Kunark at this time. Third there is a lack of a true tier 2 open (no zone lines) PvP area. Fourth just look at the tier 1 and 2 quest rewards and dropped item quality (they rival tier 2 fabled items). These items are made for PvP as was the rest of the RoK expansion.
    Maybe we need to check the /who window again for a hint.
  7. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

I love factions, and I would be all for locking into it. that was my biggest gripe with Velious. you simply could not be on good faction with dragons and raid in that expansion. you couldn't be on good faction with giants and aid either. so you had to be able to switch around and manipulate your factions to get the gear you wanted. if I'd had the option in my guild in EQ, I'd have been aligned with the Dragons, because Skyshrine was taking a semi-active role in supporting the Wakening Lands against the Giants, which was enough for my tunarian elf to want to stand by them in that defensive measure.

but you can't raid ToV and be on dragon faction. you can't do the Coldain ring/shawl without being on Dwarf faction, ect. they need to be able to make you choose a faction, and stick with it by offering comparable awards.
  8. ARCHIVED-JasonArgile Guest

the third Island in TD... that is clearly part of the Zone but you can't swim to it... doesnt seem it point to an aviak race at all... my guess is that they will do same thing they did with the fae... theres a soon to be Good aligned sarnak race over there.... and we will see that race in about three months.
  9. ARCHIVED-Dragowulf2 Guest

JasonArgile wrote:
    That's so lame. It's just a rehash of an already existent race?

drago.
  10. ARCHIVED-Magnamundian Guest

JasonArgile wrote:
    Personally I hope they don't do that, if the parallels with EoF are maintained then the new good zone will be somewhere off Antonica/TS (in the same way Neriak is just off Commonlands/Nek) with the same rule that those without the expansion can play in the new city, just not create the new 'good' race.

The new 'good' race should have ties to the Sarnak, but I would be very disappointed if they were as close as the Fae and Arasai are, that was a mistake.
  11. ARCHIVED-littleman17 Guest

We already have tons of humanoids, faeries, reptiles and even cats and rats. Don;t forget the frogs as well... we need either a bird race, or maybe a fish race of some sort.
    Maybe the bird race could be a variant of the aviak that were experimented on by vyemn, and broke away to form their own city somewhere in KoS. They have lost almost all use of their wings, but have gained a lot of use in their legs, allowing them to jump far distances and jump higher than any other race.
    For the fish race... perhaps Prexus was able to find some remains of his lost creations, The Kedge and was able to bring a modified version of them back to life. They would look like a cross between a siren and the old Kedge as Prexus was forced to use other aqueos species as a base for reviving them. We'd finally see male sirens.
  12. ARCHIVED-Mirander_1 Guest

I recall reading that the 4th island in Timorous Deep might actually be the northern coast of Kunark, not an island. Don't know if it's true, but it doesn't seem all that impossible.

As for playable Aviaks, I really like the idea (I've always said I'd love a winged race that wasn't a fairy). I figure, when it comes to the different subraces of Aviak, it'll go one of two ways: 1.) use the 'generic' Aviak from EQlive, the crow-looking ones that lived in the Plains of Karana; or B.) go the extra mile and include all subraces as customization options (possibly including the crow-Aviaks).

Kedge could also be cool, but they might be a little hard to animate, as I think they actually have octopus tentacles instead of legs.
  13. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

I say Icepaw Gnolls! In EQ1 they were a Neutral race they didn't bug you unless you started killing them. Perhaps they can help Qeynos make peace with the Darkpaw (I'm sure the dwarves would help since they come from the same godling) That would make the Orcs THE menace to society and give the Splitpaws some trading partners
  14. ARCHIVED-littleman17 Guest

'Tis why I said that Prexus used another of his creations as a base, and fused the Kedge into them. Say he took the Siren, created a male version fo them, and fused the remains (read:dna) into them, creating an entirely new aquatic race that still calls themselves the Kedge. They'd have normal legs, arms and other such stuff, but would have distinctly fish like features. Say an ornamental fisn down the back, and fins on the outsides of their forearms, as well as on the back of their calves.
    It could also herald in the return of prexus for all your water lovers out there.
  15. ARCHIVED-Enever Guest

The otter race is cool...I also would like to play a s a gnoll sometime too...
  16. ARCHIVED-Dragowulf2 Guest

Enever wrote:
    Yeah, after seeing that fan art I want a darn gnoll.

drago.
  17. ARCHIVED-Khanon Guest

The Icepaw, or other related kin of Gnoll, would be my personal preference for all those listed. The fact that there once was a faction that you could ally with, as well as the fact that they have a developed tribal society and rather advanced language (consisting of not only words, but body signals/gestures and yips/howls/grunts...not unlike RL humans to an extent), both spoken and written, lends them well to be a playable race.

Plus, they can be made cool looking enough to be played. many of the things used to define Kerran and Ratonga player characters can be used for the gnolls, including fur patterns/colors, ear, eye, nose, and cheek variance, as well as possible scarrings/markings/adornments.

The more I contemplate the thought, the more I like it, in fact.
  18. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Some things also lend more to it cold weather like Velious has would mean smaller litters and fewer but larger mammaries on the females leading to more sexual differences. In other words you would be able to tell males and females apart.

BTW If they bring in Velious they will need to have the Darkpaws and Qeynosians make peace, perhaps an outside threat could force them together.

[IMG]
  19. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Khanon wrote:
    With Gnolls, I'd also add thick ruffs along the scruff of the neck as an option perhaps longer fur in other places such as the chin the chest or a line along the belly under the navel. also possible are shaggy fur on the lower arms or legs. Icepaws would be predominantly white furred much like the Dwarves down there being worse then bleached white. An Icepaw coming to Qeynos would be fun. with the long history they have with the Darkpaw.

Still with the Dwarves recently discovering that they had a Kinship with the Gnolls via their patron godling, it might be possible for Qeynosians and the Gnolls to finally make peace with the help of their Velious brethren. This could lead to several things in game. Gnolls could help the dwarves retake Kaladium pushing the invaders into some deeper caverns, so it can become a home and a dungeon. Also if there are Icepaws then Thrugadin might be an alternate Dwarven City for players to live.
  20. ARCHIVED-Imahin Guest

Gnolls have the added bonus of having a body that's more like the sarnak's than anything else i've seen. The legs are pretty similar, throw in a shorter tail and ears and you've got it.
    Plus, Gnolls will help dwarves - the Brell priest in Butcherblock mentions getting ready to commit suicide when he is saved by a gnoll shaman with Brell's guidance. He seems pretty gung-ho about gnolls.
    I really hope they do this - another player race to balance it out would be fun. One of my favorite things about the game is the variety of races.