next expansion, and timing to come back, questions

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by EQ_Jack, Sep 22, 2019.

1. EQ_Jack Active Member

I left when the expansions introduced the ascension classes plus epic weapon 2.0. To me it was just too much stuff to manage and grind through and the new pseudo ascension classes just went to far. I just want to be a Rogue, or a Shadow knight, a more purist if you will.

I'm wondering as of today (Sept 22nd 2019) :

1- Did Chaos Descending revert this trend? or are ascension classes required?
    1a - if required how hard is it to fold say an ascension class, into my main class rotation? I mean I have like bars and bars of skills already...
    2 - All things considered, I hear there are famil1iars now, and mounts too you level.. How hard is it to flat out catch up to latest content if I came back? how hard is it to figure out this ascension class system?

- Next Expansion Questions...-
    3 - Anyone know what the next expansion is? I hear rumors but no links to what it is.
    4 - When is it coming out?
    5 - Should I wait because it will get rid of ascension classes, make it easier to jump back in?
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Ragna Well-Known Member

1 : No, Ascensions are pretty much required in Chaos Descending.
    1a : IMO it's rather easy.
    2 : At the moment, it would be hard unless you don't mind spending $ to speed things up. That said, in the next Xpack we'll get new mounts so everyone will need to train them again.
    3 : Luclin and lvl 120, other than that it's just speculations at this point.
    4 : No date yet, should be around mid-November though.
    5. No idea, Devs said they want to make class spells/CA more meaningful vs Ascension's but will they do it ? No open Beta yet, so those who know won't talk and those who talk don't know ;)
    Anyway if you want to come back, the next expansion will level the playing field a bit (level increase = new Tiers of spells/CAs, gears reset etc.)
  3. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Much of your post looks centered around Ascensions.

In today's Norrath - catching up with your main ascension class is relatively easy compared to the day they were introduced.
    With the correct recipe and materials, a crafter can make the Journeyman, Expert and Grandmaster level spells with a harvested rare item, rather than RNG loot from a dungeon. That rare is typically available on the broker or with enough patience, can be plucked out of the ground in Planes of Magic or Chaos Descending zones.
    The remaining levels will require an illegible scroll, illegible scroll page or celestial teaching in addition to the other rare.

Many people felt the ascension sting when they were first implemented, and many players have shunned and simply outright refused to incorporate them into their play. This sentiment was mostly because at launch, it was clearly a cash grab type of mechanic, offering top tier dps for players who didn't want to wait on the Ascension XP scrolls, or rares, or pages... it was clearly a hot mess. Today, its not as bad. The whole "leveling ascension" process has truly been streamlined and it doesn't feel anywhere near as cumbersome as it once was.

Of all the "leveling things" to concentrate on that will directly affect you, getting your primary ascension to 20, and the respective spells leveled as you can. The horse bits, the familar bits... etc - those are back burner-ish, and take time.

So. Will you hit the ground 3 days after the xpac and start raiding? Maybe not. But the gap between day 0 and raid day - is far smaller than you dread. A good guild with helpful players with extra resources is paramount.
    Soara2, Snikkety, Ragna and 2 others like this.
  4. EQ_Jack Active Member

Thanks for both the kind replies. I like the idea of returning to luclin or how ever this is gonna work. will go look harder at ascension classes though the idea still makes my blood boil.
    Soara2 and Ragna like this.
  5. Ragna Well-Known Member

Pre-order for the next X-pack should be soon and if DB doesn't change it's years old habit, pre-order = access to current Xpack on Live servers and - maybe with a small delay- access to the open Beta. You'll have time to top your XP in lvl/AA/Ascension and get a look at *what's next ?"
    Welcome back if you like it :cool:
    Soara2 likes this.
  6. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Most of my guild quit during KA as well, so you are not alone. Ascension's level like AAs now, no more stinking scrolls to mess with. If you do the CD signature line, you get epic 2.0 spells. If you do the summer quests, you can get 4 boosts for acsension levels. One will be level 5, one 11 and 2 will be 15. And that Ascension boosts you get for all your characters on the account that you do the summer quests on.
    As far as leveling your Merc and mounts, you just click the training button here and there. Familiar levels are much more difficult. I haven't messed with it and I solo fine for what I want to do, but if you run a 5 minute quest for familiars wild each day, you can get familiars to feed the one you want to keep to level it.
    And personally I do think these last few things I listed were overkill, but that's just my opinion
    Breanna likes this.
  7. zerk987 New Member

your not alone EQ_Jack. I just came back as well and have been tossing the idea around in my head of either going full out right now or starting fresh with the new expansion. I personally have always had better luck at the beginning of a new expansion then back tracking on any timelines I need/want to do. was thinking necro or like you a SK this time around. 2 classes I never did but wanted to play in the past just haven't decided on which yet :) . good luck to you and there are still some helpful people around on the forum board. might take a day or 2 but in general will get a answer to any questions you post.
    Seefar and Soara2 like this.
  8. Raff Well-Known Member

A suggestion for new / returnees. Roll a dps, utility or heal class as your main then pass gear to your tank until he/she is geared up enough to actually "Tank". Most end game heroic groups (not counting raids) simply do not run 2 Tanks.

New Tanks don't last long in the last couple of expacs...but CD classes require so much maintenance (to max out )....Also, you'll need to max level at least one crafter in order to make the items that infuse / level up gear. Or you could have a credit card with no limit, I suppose.

Holy cats, if I have to craft another MC weapon to break down for celestial infusions or planar thingies for primary/secondary/ranged leveling....Gack!!
    Blazen and Soara2 like this.
  9. EQ_Jack Active Member

That's good to read, I didn't know that thanks.
    Soara2 likes this.
  10. EQ_Jack Active Member

let me try that again. That's good to read. I didn't know that about ascension levels are like AA leveling now :D
    Soara2 likes this.