Newbie Question, Beastlord or Necro

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Targas71, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Targas71 New Member

Hi,

as an beginner, Necromancer or Beastlord?

Questing most solo, grinding....
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

As a long time SK from EQ and EQ2, I would say Necro. I did try a beastlady but just couldn't into it, even got my bug pet and all, so I was in my 40s but it just didn't click with me. However, you may be different. I suggest you play one of each (even as a F2P, you get 2 slots for toons) and YOU try them out and decide. Both are powerful and for the most part, are desired for raiding, if that is your long term goal.

Others may be able to go into more detail about why one is better than the other, but I suggest you play them and you decide, with input from others.
  3. Sogapa Active Member

In early levels, BL takes more effort to learn to play, but if you like that kind of thing, it can be fun and at end game it seems to be the most powerful class at the moment. BL has a lot more to pay attention to and be aware of than Necro.
  4. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

If you enjoy smooth, straightforward gameplay with limited essential skills and good dps and self healing and soloing potential, then necro is an awesome class. If you want a very strong class that requires somewhat more tedious effort to master, then beastlord is good.
  5. Lil Mantis Member

Would Conjurer be similar play wise to necro outside of the self healing?
  6. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I have never tried conjuror. At end game, they seem a little more potent with their abilities, but they don't have the self rez and as much self healing, so it would be a little more frustrating to solo a conj. You'd have to be more careful, I think. I honestly don't know much about how their spells work, though. What I do know is that they are at least similar in terms of being straightforward and not super complex.
  7. Truwen New Member

I have a Beast Lord, Necromancer, and Conjuror. They are all very fun classes, as some have said the Beastlord has a lot more going on in most cases. I have had my necromancer since 2004, he is and always will be my main. It is a fairly straight forward class, dots, direct damage, and pets. Conjuror is more of a direct damage dealer, but he plays very similarly to the Necromancer, most of their spells are mirrors of each other, aside from the DOTs of the necro the dps is around the same with equivalent gear. Wearing full Bloody Tooth Gear with purple adornments and some whites; (the ones I want I have to make money for...they can get spendy), my necro parses around 100 million damage per encounter in the advanced solo dungeons. I can rip through them in about 20-25 minutes (gated scripts not withstanding).

I would say try both the Conjy and Necro, if you're unsure of which to go. Beast lord is a very fun class...actually....to be honest, I have yet to run into a class I could 1) Not solo well with, with enough research and time to learn and 2) that wasn't fun, I play casters mostly and have enjoyed every one that I have played. I always like pet classes, eq2 has done very well with the pet classes compared to many other games that just don't seem to get it right. Add a merc into the mix, you can solo just about anything. I tend to use a DPS merc for my necro/conjy unless I need that extra survivability from a healer merc.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. What is your play style? What is your favorite archetype (Fighter, Scout, Caster, Pet Class, etc.)? Finally, what brings you the most joy? Big numbers? Soloability? Survivability? Looks cool? (Personally some of the necro pets are some of the coolest in the game....except I kind of have shadow knight squire envy =P That thing freaks me out...I like it. =)

I hope this helps.
  8. Lil Mantis Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I was looking for a caster that isn't "too complex". Something that would ease me into playing one as I've not played either a caster nor priest class in EQ2 yet. Was going to try necro but I have a FD class with my monk so I wanted just a slight challenge and go with conjurer. =) I have access to Zhurg and Clazz mercs to help out as needed. My primary is my monk but I also have a level 100 zerker, 95 ranger, 50 dirge and Beastlord. Not too concerned with end game on the character as I'd probably only spend minimal time on my alts as I'm investing most of my time with the monk(ie, needing a break from the grindtime).
  9. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

BL is in a sense warlock of scouts. While yeah it take a bit of learning curve in the end its become pretty straight forward (maintain 6 savagery, accumulate 9 ferocity before savage ravaging proc,hit temps and blew the chain - hit savagery boosters - maul 1st advantage till savagery 6 ... risen and repeat.
    But for the new player I'd say pick the conjuror
    Unlike BL - conjuror do not relay on very specific item (namely ethereal savage ravaging rune). Conjuror always had so powerful pets that it make necro cry :)
    Between necro and BL (as for original question) - unless you are sure you could get eth ravaging rune go with necro otherwise with BL