Newbie question about the BL

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Wanderer86, May 5, 2017.

1. Wanderer86 Member

Heyho folks,

i'm quite new in EQ II an momentarly i'm into ''the wich would be my class'' phase. So far, in case of other MMO's (WoW/ESO/GW2) i'm a petclass player to and i like to do a lot of time soloing stuff, so i get my eyes on the BL, Necro and Conjurer. I read a few topics about them. Everyone writes the BL is much more difficult to play than the other petclasses, but i really don't get why. Can someone explain it to me? On the Paper BL is the way to go for me it sounds like a lot of fun with taming and all this stuff. Does it have a great lack of selfhaling or whats the point?
    An other thing i want to know, whats the weapon of choice for a BL? Dualwield, bow or twohanded? I'm a little bit confused, watched a few vids at UT and it seems everyone runs with an other kind of weapon.

Thanks for your time, and sorry for my english, it's quite a time ago, when i was used to write longer textes ^^
  2. Entropy Well-Known Member

The BL is kind of a fake pet class - the warder does almost no damage (at endgame) and is just there to allow you to cast your Advantages.

Summoners have a lot more variety of tools they can leverage with and through their pets, and the pets themselves are much better DPS. Hence while soloing at lower levels you could just let the pet do most of the work.
    Wanderer86 likes this.
  3. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Worry not :) English not my first language either.
    Regard your question
    Once you get feeling of BL play style - yeah its in many aspects faceroll (specially old pre KA content) but as Entrophy mention we are not really pet class (even with Epic 2.0 when our warders got UUUGE buff for HP and some buff for DPS :)). Consider warder is "proc" that allow you activate some of your abilities that otherwise not usable (advantages) We are rarely have to control warder because its damage so laughable even with Epic 2.0 warder attack may be generate 2-3% of our DPS)
    "Difficulty" of BL comes mostly because its not straight DPS class like summoners. We generally first need to build certain attack increments that a) allow BL use "main caliber" gun - Primal chain b) ferocity (which is our damage booster) c) BL is a scout and as a such we do heavy relay on certain proc (ethereal ravaging) that give us 100 fervor for 8second roughly once every 30second we have to time our heaviest attack (normally Epic or/and Ascending) and align it with proc.
    Summoners in that regard much simpler - pet contribute upward 50% DPS :) you don't; have watch you fervor run proc (just yet) you do not have align attacks with increments - you just lineup and priorities your heaviest attacks - anyway is always much less visible if summoner goes afk compare to BL
    Wanderer86 likes this.
  4. Melt Actually plays the game

Laymans terms of what hes saying is mash flurry of claws then when ravaging procs freeze and use 6 abilities. Repeat 30 seconds later.
    Wanderer86 likes this.
  5. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

nah that would be oversimplification :D
    hit unchain ferocity and blazing - mush feral rending 9 times (watch to get 9 stack of ferocity) - hit dragon claws - savagery freeze - than dagger storm (and prey that does proc eth ravaging if not hit something else that hit multiple targets or same target multiple times until eth rav proc) - once eth rav proc up - release dogs (savaged ally) - hit the chain 4-3-1-6-2-5-4 (hopefully 3 reset 4 lol) if onslaught proced - repeat chain otherwise go to mushing feral rending (keep eye on ferocity stacks, availability of temps, savagery boosters, dagger storm) and keep you ear open for eth ravaging proc and make sure you time you Ethereal Master proc (30s) so ideally you should align starts like that
    9 stacks of ferocity - dragon claws ready to go - Ethereal Mastery about to proc and by time Eth ravaging proc you have at your disposal Savage Ally + Implosion or Savage Ally + Cascading Force or at very least Savage Ally + EA - if none worked see if chain up in conjunction with Livinbolt or at very least etherflash. Oh! almost forgot before hitting Cascading Force or Implosion (or better say before trigger eth ravaging with dagger storm) don't forget hit siphoned fervor or/and ethermancy ... something like that :D
    Wanderer86 likes this.
  6. Talduke Active Member

Do this to parse like a rogue. Do what doom says to parse like a ranger. Learn your class to parse like a bl.
    Wanderer86 and DoomDrake like this.
  7. Fairin Active Member

in EQ2 any class can now display any weapon thanks to the wardrobe , but every one of those beastlords are dual weilding whatever gives them good stats.

for example i generally rock a fighter only claymore, or giant one handed sword with a snowsled (tower shield) but im really wearin an axe and a gimpy looking shield.
    Wanderer86 likes this.
  8. Melt Actually plays the game

Strange... I play sorceror, arguably the most complex class. And yet... I parse like a sorceror.
    Wanderer86 likes this.
  9. Talduke Active Member

and this has something to do with the original posters question and your sarcastic comment on bl complexity how? And fiery blast chain is what made wizards complex and gave quality players a noticible edge over faceeollers. With that broken wiz feels slow and boreing.

To answer your question conjure and necros are the only real pet classes in eq2. Several others have pets but the dps gain from them and player interaction is negligible. With the new fervor rune coming conjure and necros should really shine too for top end dps and will probably be the top slot tbh. Bl are in a very good spot too right now but it remains to be seen if we will keep up with summonses next week on. Rangers also offer a strong pet but it's a set and forget like the bl. As far as difficulty goes some will say all are equally challenging but I tend to disagree. I'd say test out a few and see what feels right to you and then level that one. This game is very large and has a lot to offer. And if you really want to jump right to endgame you can do that too with a heroic toon. Keep in mind if you pick this option you will be at a disadvantage and the rows and rows of abilities may be overwhelming at first.
    Wanderer86 likes this.
  10. Wanderer86 Member

Atm i'm playing a necro in the dark woods (hope this is the rigth name of the starting area i`m not sure about this) if i finished this area i' going on to play a BL in an other area. Also i will do this with a sk. If i check the clases out at the first 20 lvls i will pick the one wich made most fun to play. I never will use a boost on a char. For myself it destroy the playstyle feeling and how im into with my toon. So it may take a few weeks or months to get into the high lvl areas and the endgame but that's okay for me. I have found a nice guild wich helps me a lot to understand the game in a better way, futur seemt to be brigth ^^
  11. Earar Well-Known Member

Everybody forgets shamans.

they are pet classes too.
    Illusionist/coercers are pet classes too.

but true, if you want as much interaction with your pet as you can, then it's summoner. They are the only class that really use actively the pet. Shamans a bit. Beastlord and channeler I don't really know coz I don't play them.

for coercer, since you can charm u can really have fun choosing your pet too, and really fun class to play while illusionnist pet is just a copy of yourself. and u have no interraction whatsoever with it. It just attacks.

rangers have a pet ... but really really endgame, so u can't consider them as a pet class, like wardens.
    Wanderer86 likes this.
  12. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Bleh :( Coercer no longer pet class - my coercer use to be top of the food chain DPS wise during vanilla time - it was time when you walk out grab some nice named heroic mob with nasty casting abilities and just mob the floor with your pet ... (I vaguely remember if pet had PBAoE it also tend to wipe not just floor but your group as well lol)
    Wanderer86 likes this.
  13. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

You can also test out the character with high levels rather than boosting. My main advice on this is many classes feel completely different at the start than they do at the end. Prestige skills, for example, can bring a ton to the table, and you don't get those until almost the end. Anyway, good luck!
    Wanderer86 and santargria like this.
  14. Gilasil Active Member

BL is the closest thing you'll find to a scout pet class. However, if you're after a class where the pet will do your fighting for you BL is not for you (although there's always mercenaries if you stick to easy content).

People who think that mashing flurry of claws followed by a primal chain every 30 seconds equates to best BL dps are the people a good BL player eats for breakfast on the parse. There's a lot of bad BL players out there who give bad advice. As one example, a good BL uses positionals (i.e. backstabs by various names) as much as an assassin.

If you really want to do well as a BL you need to pay attention to your pet and your abilities. Besides training most of the pet types up all the way, you should be familiar with which pet does what kind of damage and then pay attention during combat. It's not that the pet does all that much damage (although it can approach 10% when done right nowadays) but that you need its procs to do YOUR damage. Lots of little things can make it to not proc as often as it can. Likewise there are things you can do to improve damage with the abilities which need the pet procs. For example, there are things which can slow down the buildup of savagery during long fights. You need to know them and how to deal with them. Some of those things have been discussed in previous threads on this forum.

By paying attention to the subtleties of my pet and my class I've been able to consistently parse higher then comparably equipped beastlords in my group or raid who didn't. While playing a BL is easy, doing well as a BL is anything but faceroll.

However, if you want the highest parsing pet class of the game I suggest you check out the various mage classes. I can't tell you which one. Easier to play and more DPS if you're willing to put in some serious effort.
    Wanderer86 likes this.
  15. Wanderer86 Member

Good morning Folks,

i tryed a out the bl and i enjoy it pretty much. So now i'm trying to build an solid aa specc for solo/moloing with this aa thing. This seems realy hard for me. Does i get it rigth it's the best to play with spiritual stance if i'm gonna soloing the most time without grouping? Could someone please give me a look to a soloing aa build? Don't want to just copy it. But i want to get some ideas how a soloing build would look like. Tryed to find one by myself, but i'll do not find one. Just high DPS group builds. Oh man i think i'm really getting to old for this find it on the interwebz thing.
  16. Fairin Active Member

dragon tree - get the ward and death prevent.. you now have a good spec for everything =)

scouts have a ton of good abilities in the dragon tree, but startin out you should know how op that ward is at all levels of gameplay, extra mit never hurts, and a permanent death prevent means mobs gotta kill you twice...

on the left side of the dragon tree theres a self cure that procs often.. third tree makes yer positional threat drop do a ton of damage and a potency buff thats also awesome. basically i'd spend roughly 75 points in the dragon tree first.