Newbie question about Templars

Discussion in 'Priests' started by samirish, Apr 19, 2017.

1. samirish New Member

Hi all,
    Im new to the game and have just signed up on the Stormhold server. I have played mmo's in the past and have always favored playing a healer. I have decided to roll a Templar. Is this a good healing class compared to the other healers? Would I be better off with one of the other healing classes? Since I have no real loyalty to any one class, I wanted to pick a healing class that is effective yet fun to play.
  2. Lil Mantis Member

Give the others a try as well and see which one you enjoy more.
  3. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

templar is a plate wearing caster healer who does minimal personal damage at low levels but is very defensive. you can single target heal like a madman, and HEALING/curing a group is great. protecting a group from incoming damage is also good until you get to the part of the game where the incoming damage is higher than the hitpoints of your squishier classes. it is at that point where the templar has a little bit of a struggle compared to something like a shaman. however, I don't know what that looks like on the stormhold server. the templar epic does add a full damage ward to the arcane ward, so that is nice if you're looking very very long term.

as far as soloing goes, templar is a very slow soloer until you get into things like proc weapons on the live servers.

So, defensive casting healer who is one of the strongest pure healers with great single target protection. I hope this helps.
  4. Daalilama Well-Known Member

any class you pick and learn and play it right will be an asset to any group....as was stated templars soloing at low levels can be a bit of watching the paint dry dps wise but once at higher levels a pure healing class with decent dps capability via the prestige line....
  5. Daalilama Well-Known Member

btw this comes from someone who leveled up 3 over the last decade
  6. Eliana New Member

Welcome to the game, Samirish. I've always preferred healers, too, and normally play a plate healer. My main for 11 years has been a templar, and I love playing her. She was always a top healer in an end-game raiding guild; people need good templars. That being said, some will say the Inquisitor (the dark side of a plate healer) is 'better,' and it's true that they're certainly more the offensive healer. Others like the mystic/defiler (shaman) or warden/fury (druid). I actually have one of each healing class and I really love them all! Every healing class is needed on raids, if that's where you're headed. In the high end guilds, the MT or OT group usually include a plate healer and a shaman. They are in demand in groups, too.

As for soloing, it's true that it's a slow go with a templar. Luckily, eventually you get a mercenary so that makes life a lot easier. Good luck and let us know what you rolled and decided to stick with. I agree you should try them all.
  7. Perrigrin Well-Known Member

Since he's on Stormhold, there isn't mercenaries.
    I've played a Templar for 12+years, as Eliana as well. My first time around was on the live servers and soloing was ROUGH. That was when I was young and dumb in the game and had no clue about AA's and doing different specs etc.
    Nowadays you can switch your AA specs on the go right in your AA window, and there is such a variety of different ways to go in your AA trees, you can build an all-out healing spec, and a spec devoted completely to increasing your dps. My Templar on Stormhold can actually kill stuff rather quickly in her solo AA spec, and her survivability is superb :) I've also got a spec I'm working on that is a mix of healing AA's and dps AA's so I can start doing better damage in groups where I don't have to heal quite as much.
    Give it a chance. If you don't like it within 20 levels try something else. I eventually betrayed my Templar on live to Inquisitor for a raid guild, and she was fun as an Inqy as well, plus their myth clickie is one of the best in the game IMO.

Look me up on Stormhold anytime, I can usually be found either on Vekna, Zemi, or Vukacia. Be happy to help you out in any way I can!