Newbie lvl 100 guide

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Qode, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Qode New Member

So i played EQ2 for a couple weeks when it first launched and i haven't played since. i figure i want to earn how to play again so i make a lvl 1 character and there are no other players anywhere my level, they are all over 100. I decide to do the "try a lvl 100 out" option, log in to some place I have never been, fully buffed/geared/bar full of spells and no idea what to do, where to go, or how to get there. I ride my flying horse off the dock and start getting attacked by a roaming mob, and my soul looks like it is being ripped from my body! in defense freaking out because i am taking like 14,000 in damage... i select the mob and hit my 1 button and do something like 20 million damage!!! I'm not used to these huge numbers!

How does a person, that literally never played the game, not used to the mechanics, or locations... jump in with a lvl 100 character? What are some key things to know? are there places to go to level up? is everything quest driven? do you need to buy additional expacs?
    Kittybock and Soara2 like this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

A person who never played the game shouldn't jump right into a level 100 toon. They should start at zero, level up, learn the game, and learn their class. If you have PoP, CD, or have pre-ordered BoL, then you can level past 100. If you have not, then you are stuck at 100. If you have those, then the only real place to level up is doing the PoP signature line in the Plane of Magic. Yes, most of leveling is quest driven. I recommend reading the wiki and asking questions here are in discord.
    Momo, Cyrrena, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tangris Well-Known Member

Agreed, level up for a bit get a feel for the class and then if you want level up with a bauble, it would be overwhelming coming in new and getting to 100/110 and have no idea how many buttons need to be pushed and when.
    Momo, Juraiya, Dude and 3 others like this.
  4. HadleysHope Member

Agreeing with the 2 replies already posted. Don't worry about other players right now, each of the starting areas are designed to teach you the basics of the game and following quest lines will do 3 things for you, teach you the absolute basics, level your character and most importantly give you a feel for how to play your class.

Trust me, no one wants a level 110 toon in their group that has no idea how to play their toon, taking some time to follow quest lines and level your toon the "old fashioned" way will give you the tools you need to play at a high level.
    Momo, Juraiya, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  5. Raff Well-Known Member

EQ2 is a 15 yr old game with layered systems and remnants of various dev team's visions. At end game we have 10 spellbars and bags full of clickies, potions, harvest gear, adorns and who knows what else.

I think it is a huge mistake for someone who has never played the game to jump into newly boosted character. Even if you boosted to 110, you lack the knowledge base to even set up your class correctly. I suggest soloing to level 40-50, then start looking for a progression guild. Or find a newly formed guild of new & returning players that are starting over again.

EQ2 is as much about the journey to max level than just end game grouping.
    Momo, Breanna, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  6. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Exactly as everybody prior to me has stated. I would recommend AB server. Look up Raff or his mate Kittaene and their guild Lava Forged, good folks there, they will help you learn the ropes of a new character. I have all crafters there, I can help them to outfit you with armor, weapons, ammo, bags, strongboxes, etc, whatever they need.

Start at level 1, do the quests on the boat and then the Isle of Refuge. I am sure someone from Lava Forged would come to the Isle to help you with the last boss on the Isle, if not, shout to them and ask them to have a Cyrrena alt or a Dude alt come and help.
    Momo, Breanna and Dude like this.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

By the way Raff, did you and Kittaene get my in game mails that I sent to you?
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Raff Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the Isle of Refuge is boring and too linear. I realize that it is a trip down memory lane for a lot of folks, but the quest gear is better on Frostfang. As soon as I hit the Isle, I reboard the boat for FrostFang.
  9. Raff Well-Known Member

Just a note here though. About expectations. We are helping a lot of returning players get ready for the new expac. As much as possible given time left before launch. Then we'll all hit Luclin only for months. Lava Forged is really an end game guild with a lot of max level guild and/or pug grouping.

If Quode wants someone to answer questions, we'll help. But none of us are running old content right now.
    Momo likes this.
  10. Kittybock Well-Known Member

I did...I joined the channel this evening, thank you!
    Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  11. Kittybock Well-Known Member

I love helping players! That said, we have gotten new folks that end up joining us in end-game. I think what Raff was getting at, was that we do not have many playing lower levels. Returning players often play lower tier or two, until they decide if they like their toon, then they boost to 110, etc. For players that would like to level the old fashioned way, I generally recommend one of the progression guilds on the server, so that there are folks to group with during the lower content.

Either way, if you are interested, give me a shout. I am usually on Kittaene.
    Cyrrena, Raff, Momo and 2 others like this.
  12. Raff Well-Known Member

Tried to send you an ingame mail, Cyrrena. But your inbox is full :p
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

That is so weird, I checked it yesterday and there was only 5 items in it. I will delete those and visit Jerol, maybe there are a bunch of hidden things lurking around!!
    Breanna and Kittybock like this.