newb ? how do i use heroic oppritunity

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Glim, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Glim Member

Downloaded game last night and had a blast. I started in queens colony and made it to level 10. I think I completed the majority of the quest but I missed going through all the tutorial npcs and my curiosity brought me to use the call to home spell. I never figured out how to use heroic oppritunity. Also I found merc fish ale joint but they all said I have to buy the feature. I began a sub when I downloaded the game...odd.. Also I we by back and bought the exp ect. Never made me pay for anything when I first downloaded the game.
    Thanks for any help.
    I'm Glim illy on majdul
    SierraDawn and Saw-Lau like this.
  2. Glim Member

Not sure I made a macro correctly either. I added 4 spells and added heroic oppritunity as 5th spell but seems like I only cast one spell
  3. Lasai Well-Known Member

Uncomplicate your life and ignore it. It is really outdated and of little benefit now. It was great at one time, now most groups won't even respond to an HO.

Merc features are now part of KA. You need that, I think PoP includes them but not certain.

They don't even sell the old AoD merc option now, and even if an old account has that purchased, you won't get any option to level a Merc or add armors and accolades without KA.
  4. Svenone Well-Known Member

Heroic Opportunities are a relic from a bygone era. They are right there with crafters that did not require any adventurer skill. Or having to ride boats to travel. All of these things still exist, but either are drastically changed (crafting), or unchanged since the birth of the game (heroic opportunities), or functionally obsolete (HOs and boat rides).

EQ2s macro system is very basic. There are no conditional or flow controls commands. You can't execute a command IF another condition is met, for example, or skip to another part of the micro (like a BASIC GOTO). A macro with just a bunch of chat text will probably all work as expected because they are practically instant in their execution, but the system will only queue a maximum of 1 non-instant command at a time. Furthermore, for macros with more than 2 steps, if those steps are not instant they may or may not execute in the expected order.

The merc feature is now part of the latest expansions, and those are never free. The Free-to-Play experiment ended before mercs became part of the paid-for expansions, so if you don't have the merc feature now the only way to get it is to buy the latest expansion.
    SierraDawn, Saw-Lau and Kheldar like this.
  5. Glim Member

Ok, that's good to know and thanks for the info. I purchased the expansion and hired the bard in qeynos. What level should I start tradeskills at and should I stick to the "golden path thing I've seen on YouTube videos or I'm I gonna be ok just random questing in zones. I've been doing the ones in antionca and around qeynos atm. I haven't bothered looking up things on wiki yet. Just enjoying the game. I haven't played mmos since I stopped playing EQ in 2005.
  6. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Follow your own path, have fun exploring the world. You can even temporarily lower you level to do old quests and still get some exp that way. You have so many options, make your OWN way. Find a good guild that fits your playing style and one that you will be a benefit to, also. This game is so much more fun with others. Good luck and let us know what server you are on, someone may offer some bags, gear and company.
    SierraDawn, Dude and Saw-Lau like this.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Use a World Bell and go to the Isle of Mara, find Qho swimming in one of the ponds on the opposite side of the water. Get his quest a Gathering Obsession, then start harvesting. Harvest every node you find. When you complete the first quest in Qho's series, turn it in and get the next one. Strip harvest every single zone and build up a nice supply of every single resource. When you can, invest in a personal harvest depot, these are made by tinkerer's and will allow you to store large quantities of resources.

Find a crafting trainer in one of the cities or the starting zones after leaving either Queen's Colony or Overlord's Outpost. Begin crafting right away, they have you gather some resources first so that works well with Qho's line and strip harvesting to build up a supply, they give you a nice box to put in your bank that will hold the harvests, the depot I mentioned above must be placed in an apartment or other housing.

Later, when you are able to afford it, invest in the collectible, lore and legend, and fuel depots, also placed in some type of housing. You can then store all these items that any alts you make will be able to use as well. Also, when you begin crafting, begin learning, tinkering, transmuting, and adorning, there is an NPC in the crafting area of the cities that will start you along the way on all 3 of those with quests that are available daily.

Above all, like Meneltel stated, follow your path, your way, and play whatever is fun for you.

Welcome to Norrath, enjoy the journey, and have fun playing your character(s) your way.
    Dude likes this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You can only have two spells/abilities in a macro.

In your Knowledge book, you will have a Heroic Opportunity Starter Ability (it varies by archetype). You click that, once it is cast certain of your spells/abilities on your hotbars will start flashing. Click one of those. Once it lands, another set of spells/abillities will start flashing. Click one of those. That's how it works.

If you are in a group, other classes can also get in on HO opportunities. If someone in your group starts a HO, you will often see some of your spells/abilities flashing, click one and it improves the overall HO effect.

You will find that Heroic Opportunities are really useful at low levels. By end game, they're mostly not useful at all.
    SierraDawn, Saw-Lau and Breanna like this.
  9. Saw-Lau Member

I completely agree with Meneltel's advice on following your own path and doing whatever makes you happy - there's so much content in this game and lots of different ways to play.

Here's one idea that I'm doing right now:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...resenting-the-everquest-ii-completist.585665/
    Dude likes this.
  10. Lasai Well-Known Member

There are a lot of gems to be found off of the Golden Path.

You'll want to bore your kids someday telling them "one time, there was this giant naked mole rat" for example.

I still love doing all the Freeport things. I love the ruins series, and it's a great place to learn about what heroic^^^ NPCs can do to you. One time, I chronoed a char and did every single start zone my faction allowed.
    Dude likes this.
  11. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

Hello Glim,
    and welcome to EQ2 /wave.

all of the above information is very good .. but no one actually answered your question , instead just brushing off the heroic opportunity, which do still work.
    so many don't use them because if in a group they require cooperative play as opposed to parallel play.
    but it's surprising how often I've been in heroic and expert group runs where someone else is opening and starting the heroic ops or will answer if i open an opportunity on my beastlord .

how to open and complete a heroic opportunity ... first you have to be in combat , click your heroic op spell and some of your currant spells will begin to 'blink',(at level 10 this wont be many ,and you may have to wait for one of the spells to reset to reuse it) the H.O wheel will also be up on your screen with a set of symbols showing.
    if you cursor your own spells on the hotbars you will note that each has a small symbol in the corner that should correspond to the symbols on your HO,click them in the order required, on the last click you should see a "show " of fancy graphics signifying that the H.O was successfully completed. opening a heroic op seems to slow down damage as i have rarely been killed while casting one, while solo or even in a group of three. it will also boost the effects of the spells used in the heroic op , takes little or no extra time to open and is often helpful.
    so if you want to use a heroic opportunity , do it ...

and once again welcome to norrath the next best thing to Neverneverland
    Saw-Lau and Breanna like this.
  12. Glim Member

Ty for the replys. I fixed macro and may have or not hit the heroic oppritunity lol. Mobs for so fast and I'm staring trying to hit all the spells that light up. I miss something or is the bag of plat gone from loyalty points. I was really looking forward to buying bigger bags and a cool reg mount for fast travel. I smashed out a lot of quest today and died for the first time...hahaha. I was looking for the sewers in qeynos and decided to visit the caves. Easy mobs and sent merc away... Wherever they go. Ran into a name 5 levels above me and have it a whirl. Ouch... I'll just mend up later. I may run the cave guanlet of quest before I head to sewers, once I find them. Caves have better quest coin than outside around antonica. Anyway I can participate in tinker event? I'm only level 13 atm.
    Saw-Lau likes this.
  13. Glim Member

Stupid phone. I'll re read my replys before sending
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

You can participate in the Tinkerfest activities no matter what your level, you will just need to be careful around any mobs that are already normally in the area. Use the unstable tinker portals in the cities to get to Steamfont and do not stray too far from the climbable wall that you use to get up to the Gnomeland Security Area if you go do to do the quest on the ground below. The quest on the ground below can be completed by staying right near the quest giver, it may take a bit for enough errative clockworks to get near but they spawn pretty quickly.

If you decide to try the PQs in Antonica and Commonlands, those will be more of a challenge as there are orcs and such roaming the area in Commonlands and Caltorsis Skeletons and Spirits around the Antonica area.

As for the small bags of platinum coins, you must actually visit the loyalty merchants in either Freeport or Qeynos Harbor. There are 3 loyalty merchants in each of those cities so I am not sure exactly which one they are on in each but probably the one that sells general items.
    Saw-Lau likes this.
  15. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I think, to buy the platinum bags, you need to be a member, just a memory of a guildie not finding them before because, as a FTP, they were not visible to him. (but could also be a EQ1 memory also...) Old age is a shipwreck... and im not old but some games are aging me fast...
    Saw-Lau likes this.
  16. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

No, you are correct Meneltel, you must be subscribed to see the plat bags.