NEW Video! "How to Download and Set Up Layout Editor"

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Ealdian, Aug 9, 2017.

1. santargria Well-Known Member

First, thank you for this video - it sheds light on a whole new way of moving things around.

Perhaps I can help those not clear on the With/without/working/diif attributes.

Let's use the following as a primer:
    We'll start a home project with only 1 item in the entire house - a chair. Just to keep it simple.

We save the layout of our house and name it "With" (it could have been called "WithChair")
    Next we put the chair into a moving crate - now we have nothing in the house but a moving crate that contains the chair.

We now save the layout of our house and name it "Without" (it could have been called "WithoutChair")

When you open the "With" file in the layout editor and you use the "Diff" function you select the file you want to compare to "With" - in this case it is "Without". You are only comparing the two files "With" and "Without" to see what is changed.

In the video it is not explicitly mentioned that the "Without" file has to be selected for the Diff function to work.

In this case, the chair has changed since it is no longer visible in the "Without" file.

The item is then shown in the editor.

Highlighting the item in the layout editor allows us to move JUST that item - in this case it's the chair.

Position the chair where you want (West, East,North, South etc., by how ever many units you want) then apply the edits and save the group (even though we're only saving one item, it is still a group)

When you save Group you are now saving the "Working" file - this is the file that will always have the changes you make to the house.

When you get back in game and you "load_layout Working" you are loading the file "Working" (which you just saved) which has the chair moved to the new position.

While the video is an excellent tutorial, there are 2 items that were not explicit that may be confusing to some - it was to me at first.

Selecting the "Without" file when using the Diff function and saving the group as the "Without" file.
    Ocarinah and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Merriel Well-Known Member

I know what all the coordinates mean, but having a lazy eye makes it hard to see straight across the rows, so it's easy for me to skip down to the next line or so and change the wrong coordinate, and once you make a few mistakes, it's hard to fix it and sometimes easier to just start the whole process over again. Using new from diff, I can work only with the specific items I want and not have to worry about transposing figures that shouldn't have been changed. The smaller the group of items I have to work with, the easier it is for me. :D
    Ocarinah and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Happy birthday!
  4. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Very nice video! I will be organizing everyone's how to videos in the near future so I can add a link on the updated The Decorator's Resource stickied thread.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

Now we just need "How to Download and Set Up EQ2" since that's no longer a foregone conclusion.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  6. JesDyr Well-Known Member

So ... I forgot that I never put the 1.8.x.x version on the download page. I never fully tested it since I stopped playing, but one change was alternating row colors. Download link

I know there was a thread about it, but it was a while ago.
  7. Merriel Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I'll have to check that out. Thank you, JesDyr! I think that will help immensely. :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

How do you think it works, as the creator, were you happy with the final version of 1.8? :) I'm pretty cool with the one I have (which, I think, was the latest iteration of 1.7.etc), but if 1.8 has new stuff that works... :D

EDIT: Yeah, mine is 1.7.2.16. ;->

EDIT: Hmm! Tried to go to EQ2Designers.com, and got an error message? :-/

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

Uwk
  9. JesDyr Well-Known Member

web server was having issues. All set now

1.8 was not completely tested and i never made it do everything I had planned. Jazabelle was helping me with it and I think I fixed any major issues it had.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Cool! So if I download this, will it overwrite my current 1.7, or carve out its own little separate territory? ;) I guess it depends on where I end up installing it...

Uwk