New to Warlock

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Storms, May 26, 2019.

1. Storms New Member

I have leveled my new warlock to level 50, and was wanting any kind of input into a proper cast order or path for me to try out. I have never played warlock/wizard before until now, any input would be much appreciated.
  2. Redlight Well-Known Member

Acid is only worth casting if you use stein of moggok or have a standard 75-ish ab mod. Aura of Void is your most efficient single target spell, together with Distortion, Apocalypse and Absolution. On encounter fights, always precast curse of darkness, open up with vacuum field and nullify to get your gift of berto/cod procs off then begin to cast absolution into apocalypse if it is a fight that lasts around 16 seconds or longer, otherwise apocalypse in to absolution.
    Cataclysm becomes worth casting on 3+ encounter/aoe fights. Imagine a scenario where you are facing 3 or more unlinked encounters, Cataclysm will become one of your most efficient spells, if not the most efficient. On fights that will last 36 seconds, cast your netherlord, it doesn't hit like a truck but it is overall a very efficient spell on fights that aren't short.

Balance shifts every expansion, so make sure you run ACT and find out what your most valuable spells are. During DoF, Distortion will get a massive boost. However, don't forget that gaining more ability mod will greatly affect the effectiveness of spells such as Dark Pyre, Acid, Dark Infestation, Netherealm and Apocalypse.
  3. Somedude Active Member

Best thing to do is figure it out for yourself. Make a spreadsheet, math out for single, two, three, 4+ mobs and what is the best efficiency.

Curse followed by fast casting debuffs / effects even if they do no damage but hit many targets is efficient if you are able to hit enough targets.

Contrary to above, Acid is still efficient at this tier, but only in cases where the mobs will live long enough. It is easy to keep Acid up on more than one target when worked into your rotation.

I have a googled document somewhere with the abilties all mathed out, if you are interested, I can try to find it again.
  4. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

^

Redlight is clearly high, Acid is worth casting only if the mob doesn't die before the ticks end; and the mob doesn't die in 30 second allowing you to actually cast your more efficient spells first making the ticks not go off. Talk to somedude for a more detailed cast order.
  5. Storms New Member

Somedude, that would be awesome if you found the document. But, i wouldn't ask you to spend a lot of time looking for it, I have messing around with spell cast order. Been doing apocalypse, catacylsm, dark siphoning, absolution, dark nebula for encounters. Where as for single target acid, dark pyre, aura of void, distortion, encase, then flames of velious. I feel like there is a more efficient cast order, just have not had a chance to test other orders.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

7. Redlight Well-Known Member

Lol, I got Zachy to admit that it wasn't as efficient as it seemed as there is no UT or any other extra tick variant yet. With Stein proc up it ended up doing 800-1050 damage on nagafen with int cap, whereas other spells would be more efficient, regardless of the low casting time of acid.
  8. Somedude Active Member

Heh, keep in mind Zachy is my offspring. Acid is still very efficient if you get all the ticks. But if you cast it and the mob doesn't last 30 seconds, its much lower priority that it appears.

I have acid higher on my priority, but I also pay attention and will cast it on an add then swap back to my primary target. If enough targets will last long enough, I keep it rolling on 2 targets.

Obviously, when UT comes around, the world changes. Warlock efficiency shifts quite a bit with AA releases and buff availability. One of the reasons I like the class.
  9. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

I never said it was the most efficient spell ever, which is why I very clearly said that it's only worth casting when you can get off more efficient spells first ; and the mob doesn't die before it expires.

Please read next time, it's obviously not as good as aura, apoc, siphon, abso, pyre, or distortion.

Also dark infestation is bad, the ticking damage goes away as soon as the adds pop and the adds die pretty much instantly/hit for nothing.
  10. Somedude Active Member

Yeah, infestation was trash, then good for a little while, and now back to trash.

On single targets that last over 30 seconds, acid is around 4-5th on my priority list, but I skip it if the mob isn't going to live long enough. Obviously the same goes for other longer ticking dots.
  11. Redlight Well-Known Member

Miscommunication then, you can rotate through more efficient spells than acid, leaving acid out of the rotation. Especially with crossbow.
  12. Fangrim Active Member

Acid is for drug addicts, certainly not any decent warlocks.
  13. Bekkr Well-Known Member

Point of order: LSD is totally non-addictive.
    Fangrim likes this.