New to warden and was need for healing in raids need help with hotbars and spells

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Darkshadow, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Darkshadow New Member

Hi, I am running a warden or about to I should say, I jump to 120 and going to learn the best I can in high lvl stuff. I have so many spells and actions I need on my hot bars. I need a good addon or layout for it. I have healed in other games and I use to heal in eq2 back years and years ago as a inqus. But anyways getting side tracked. Any suggestions. While we are at it is there any article's videos forums etc I can look at watch read etc to be come a better healer, will be healing with a channeler.

Thanks for all the help.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I'm not 100% sure what all you are asking here. Are you asking about wardens or channelers?

Custom UI
    If you want a custom UI (and I guarantee, YOU WANT A CUSTOM UI as a healer for the click-to-cures!) then I recommend DarqUI Unified. That's on the EQ2Interface.com site, which is where you will find pretty much all the available mods for EQ2.

Gearing Up
    In terms of gearing up, review the VoV Gear Guide. Be sure to read down the thread, as there is more helpful info after the original post.

AAs
    The game will automatically assign your AAs, but generally these aren't the optimal AA builds. My recommendation is to ask in General chat who are the best players of your class on the server, then write down those names. Look them up on EQ2U and look at their AA builds there and learn from them. You can even download an AA build from another player's EQ2U record that you can import and use on your toon.

Also, you can politely contact the people whose names you were given and ask them if they have the time to answer some questions, and ask them directly for advice on your class.

Spell Rotation
    Spell casting order is not a fixed monolithic thing here. It will vary based on your stats (which are affected by your AA and gear).

Our spells and combat arts (I'm just gonna call them spells after this) come in differing levels and in spell "strengths"... you automatically get the Apprentice versions of your spells. A Scholar (Alchemist/Jeweler/Sage, depending on your archetype) can craft Journeyman spells. Adept is the next level, and are mob drops and often available on the broker. Scholars can craft Expert spells for you from rare harvests, and this is your best bet while you are leveling... harvest everything, find out which rares can be made into what, and ask in the Crafting chat channel for a crafter to make things for you. After Expert spells, we have Masters, Grandmasters, Ancient, and Celestial. If you happen upon one of these as you are leveling, that's great, but don't worry about them until end game

You'll want to cast your spells in order of decreasing efficiency. "Efficiency" is based on how much direct damage a spell does, any detriment damage that "ticks", the duration of the spell, and how long it takes to cast a spell. I figure this out in Excel, personally.

You can look at a typical sheet set up for Wizard spell efficiency (Dropbox link)... this one is set for a Wizard, but it's easy enough to modify for other classes. To use, buff yourself up. Then open your Journal (press J), go to the Spells or Combat Arts tab, then open each spell one by one and use the values show in the Examine window to fill in the spreadsheet. Some things can't be determined this way, as for instance dumbfire pets, so for those I find a guildhall that has a Training Dummy chest, set up a group of about 8 training dummies and make them immortal, turn on Advanced Combat Tracker, and throw whatever spell it is over and over at the dummies, then figure out the average damage from ACT. Once youi have all the spells filled in, sort by Efficiency from highest to lowest, and that's your casting order.

Caveat: There will always be exceptions on casting orders. There will be some things you want to cast immediately as a mob is pulled, there will be situational spells that you only cast sometimes, there are buffs and debuffs to work in. But the efficiency list is the basis.

Class Guides
    There really aren't many really good class guides, because the devs keep tinkering with class balance and we get new improved spells every expac. There are some out there, but they become dated really fast. Try googling for "EQ2 and {name of your class} AND guide" and see what you can turn up. But also ask here in the forums. There are class subforums.
    Toven likes this.
  3. Darkshadow New Member

Thank you for all the info. I also was hoping for a screen shot of a layout of the hot bar.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

That will not help you. You have to calculate your own spell rotation as I described above, then put the spells on the hotbar on order of efficiency. Heals have efficiency, just as combat arts and damage spells do.

On my healers, I use five main hotbars. The first one has all the heals on it in order of efficiency. The second has any buffs or debuffs the healer has available. The third has everything I precast before a pull, death saves, and any combat/damage spells and my deaggros. The bottom bar has rezzes and cures. The final bar has macros to specifically cure group members 1-5, and if needed their pets. (See Slash Commands to help you form macros). This is just a rough grouping that works for me.

I can pretty much tell you that other healers use other setups. It really depends on a lot of things, like how you've had your spells arranged in other games, your handedness, your personal taste, etc. There's not a magical setup that allows you to instantly be good at any class. You have to learn your class, see what works for you, and arrange your UI accordingly.

I mostly do individual cures from the click-to-cure buttons in the Group and Raid windows (I am using DarqUI Unified). DarqUI also allows you to custom-set five spells that will cast on an individual beside every name in the group and raid windows.
    Twyla likes this.