new to this game, Berserker DW or Buckler?

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-djisidore, Dec 10, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Stickfigurehero Guest

I have been trying different classes to try and find what I like best. I love the idea of a DPS tank so I gave zerker a shot. I was really digging it until I read this forum and all the buckler talk. I mean I was totally prepared to keep a good shield on hand for when I would be needed to tank but I was hoping to be a dual wielding BA most of the time. But from what I have read here from the high level zerkers, buckler spec is the highest DPS...that just seems wrong.

Ah well the search for a class continues.
  2. ARCHIVED-Kendakon Guest

Skel@Butcherblock wrote:
    1) Persistent World
    2) Large (huge by some standards) worlds that are pretty open to play in any direction you choose. One of the biggest [I cannot control my vocabulary] I have with single player games is that they lead you by the nose through their world and rarely let you vear off to explore anything else.
    3) Dynamic Content
    4) Ability to get together with my RL friends and family without driving (or flying) a few hundred or thousand miles
    5) huge item databases and custimization options
    100) etc...
    and if you think that $14 really matters for this amount of entertainment you're kidding yourself. That fee is practically nonexistent in my entertainment budget and I would (and have) easily spend well over $200 in ONE weekend going to the bar or pretty much doing anything else with my buddies.
    The fact of the matter is there are a ton of reasons to play MMOs, even if you play them solo. And people who expect me to build my characters the way THEY think is the best for a group so I can better serve them are even more selfish and egotistical than the solo player that turns off all the chat except tells and only replies to people they know.
    Raids are boring as hell, Guilds and PUGs are to much drama/hassle, and most people are rude, ignorant, selfish ***** in general so what would possibly entice me to group with anyone I didn't know?
    MMO's may have been designed for grouping origianlly but the market has expanded enormously and Devs of all companies are starting to realize that and design content/games for this new demographic.
    Bah, this post is long enough and I have to get back to work, but you get my point.
  3. ARCHIVED-Schmalex23 Guest

Im guessing you havent tried any of the NWN games or anything that runs on the oblivion engine. All of the points you mentioned are, by far, much better and free.
    The ONLY reason IMO to play an MMO is to be social, otherwise they are all around lacking. It would be like playing counter-strike against bots.
    There are much better FPS single player games, but you play counter-strike to be social.
  4. ARCHIVED-Kendakon Guest

NWN graphics engine sucked and we also didn't really care for the gameplay. EQ2 is much better in both those areas.
    And I play counterstrike to kill other players not to be social, if I wanted to be social I'd go to a party, or the beach or any other RL activity where you can actually see and meet other people face to face. Because, in general people aren't as likely to be ignorant morons when they don't have the anonymity of the internet to hide behind.
    BTW Skel, I'm not saying you can't play these games to be social. If that's the way you like to meet new people then that's fine by me. I'm just letting you know there are people that have enough rl friends that play the game with them and don't want to be bothered sifting through the hundreds of thousands of ****** fascinated 1337 morons that also play MMOs just to find a few people to hang out with in game. The ONLY reason I ever tried WoW was because at that time most of my friends and my brother were playing it. I would never buy an MMO game if nobody I knew was already playing. When I read about EQ2 in the many forums being such a great game I convinced them all to go buy a copy so we could all start together. If they had disagreed I'd probably still be playing WoW ( which although I hated the game itself, it was still entertaining because of playing together).
    To each there own, I always say. I just wish everyone would stop telling others how to play their game. Hell, most of the time they even say 'IMHO ....' and then add it's the ONLY way to do it. Well, hell, if it's your opinion it's probably NOT the ONLY way to do it. Opinions are like that.
    And just to add something to the OP... which I'm sorry I haven't yet in this thread ;(
    DW is a viable option, buckler is by a small margin better for dps and a noticible margin for tanking. But that doesn't mean DW is not an option at all. There certainly are classes better suited to DW, but none of them wear plate. Which is one of the reasons I chose the zerker.
    I just wish the Devs would add some gladiator armor, I mean if they're gonna try to force us all to be Buckler spec at least let us look like the gladiator we are!!
  5. ARCHIVED-Schmalex23 Guest

Kendakon wrote:
    You realize, playing with other people is being social right? Social does not mean befriending new people IRL, i just means interacting with them... and im pretty sure thats the entire idea of an multiplayer game.

Main Entry: so·cial
    Pronunciation: 'sO-sh&l
    Function: adjective
    1 a : tending to form cooperative and interdependent relationships with others of one's kind

AKA: tending to form a group/team with people playing EQ/CS
  6. ARCHIVED--Aonein- Guest

Skel@Butcherblock wrote:
    The thing here is, it isn't work, it is a fantasy game = use your imagination = have fun and who cares, thats basically what it boils down too.
    So no, the same doesn't apply to EQ2, it only applies to your "vision" of EQ2.
    Your description of Social spells it out quite clearly:
    1 a : tending to form cooperative and interdependent relationships with others of one's kind
    Underlined for emphasis and meaning that while it is a social game, there is min and max style social players who will eventually form or find a group of people to create interdependant relationships with based off one's kind of playstyle, ie; Guilds, Clans, Groups or Fellowships etc.
  7. ARCHIVED-Adoy Guest

Yea I'm new too, tired of WoW and have always heard this is the "real" RPG to play, looks like it from what I've read so far.I've had a ton of time to read stuff too, seeing as how I bought the Digital Download RoK all in one pack about 5 hours ago, says I still have 16 hours to go on the patches too.I tried doing what they say on the station knowledge base to fix it....supposedly you can launch from the EQ2.exe in file but that didn't do a thing,andsome of the links in that knowledge base don't even work anymore and I'm so frustrated I decided to let it just go at the snail speed it's going at.Hopefully I'll be able to login before 2008, literally.Why didn't I just get off my lazy [I cannot control my vocabulary] and drive 30 minutes to Best Buy >< I could be playing a Necro right now instead of whining /shrug.Hope this isn't an indication of things to come from SoE, I've had this game in the back of my mind for years but had to follow my friends to FFXI/WoW.Whoever is reading this, sorry.. I had to vent.This has been more frustrating than the time I tried to play Lineage2 for 2 weeks Yoda Note:In the 5 minutes I took to furiously type this rant, the patcher went from 16 hours to 10, so maybe it's not that bad.... lol >.>
  8. ARCHIVED-Hardain Guest

You do realize that downloading this game from a scratch is huge chunk of gigs? Main game, 4 expansons, 3 adventure packs and all those 41 Live Updates is dozens GBs of data.
  9. ARCHIVED-Schmalex23 Guest

-Aonein- wrote:
    So let me get this right... we play a role where we do tasks for other people(be it NPC's or PC's) and you dont see that as a form of work?

Boss says "get me 5 papers" and pays me with money

NPC says "get me 5 papers" and pays me with money

Not really seeing a difference.

Take grouping/raiding for example. People have asigned jobs(wow look theres that word again) to do. If they arent doing them correctly or efficently then it only makes everyone else work harder. Which in some cases is acceptable, but aesthetics is not one of those.
  10. ARCHIVED-Dashel Guest

Well play however you want, it's your money. You just should just be prepared to accept the consequences (if any) of your choices.

I think what people are saying is, shield is simply superior to DW especially for the role of tank in a group. It's not really arguable. If a main tank of a competitive guild showed up one day in a DW spec, it's not really fair to the people who want him to do his job.

That said, if you're playing as a secondary off tank in a group setting for instance, it's probably not a biggie. If you're just screwing around with easy game content with some friends, most likely nobody will care much. If you're taking on challenging content and failing, friends might care more. If you're being asked to tank difficult content with strangers, expect some harsh criticism or expect to be excluded because they're paying 15 bucks a month or whatever too, and they'd like to beat Uber_Mob_01 so either fulfill your role as much as possible or get out of the way.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kaberu Guest

Hardain@Runnyeye wrote:
    I have about 11.1 gigs worth of data in my EQ2 folder including a ton of screenshots and a few alternate UIs. While close, it's not even a dozen, let alone multiples of a dozen.

Just FYI...
  12. ARCHIVED-Hardain Guest

I know, but downloading the full game from scratch is still gonna takes ages.
  13. ARCHIVED-Kaberu Guest

Probably like 13 hours (at least for my wireless connection) or so unless you have a wicked fast ISP. Of course, I know first hand that it seems like forever when all your friends are online telling you on Ventrillo how great this update is or how awesome that expansion is and all you can do is yell, "Go Faster!" at your computer =P

As far as the OP, Heroic Opportunities need a HUGE boost, but since they've been in the game since opening, and haven't changed yet... I'm not sure there's much hope of any change. They mostly suck but you can get a nice boost from some of them (like an AC buff). Otherwise it's a low damage boost... for all the solo ones anyway.
  14. ARCHIVED--Aonein- Guest

Skel@Butcherblock wrote:
    Again, you were refering to a real life style of work ie; going into the office, and now you have turned it around and are refering to a ingame work style via quests.
    From a quests point of view, yes you are working to be rewarded, but until someone starts to pay me to play the game, or anyone for that matter, we have the right to play how we want.
    Your description of Social spells it out quite clearly:
    Underlined for emphasis and meaning that while it is a social game, there is min and max style social players who will eventually form or find a group of people to create interdependant relationships with based off one's kind of playstyle, ie; Guilds, Clans, Groups or Fellowships etc.
    So as you can see Skel, the game not only caters to different cultures all around the world, but people with different playstyles and we don't all fall into one catergory and have to be ultimate elite players to get things done.
    We can, because of aesthestics, role playing or fantasing, be anything we want. Our minds and imaginations have unlimited boundries, it's sad that yours doesn't and thinks we have to treat this game like a "job".
    One last thing, it isn't classed as a "job", we have roles to play, not jobs. How we chose to fulfil that role totally depends on the person playing. Hence the reason it is a role playing game, not a job game.
  15. ARCHIVED-Schmalex23 Guest

Main Entry: role
    Part of Speech: noun 2
    Definition: duty
    Synonyms: act, bit, business, capacity, execution, function, game*, guise, job, office, part, piece, pose, position, post, posture, province, stint, task

crazy huh?
  16. ARCHIVED--Aonein- Guest

Skel@Butcherblock wrote:
    No, not crazy at all, but what is crazy is you not being able to tell the difference between a definition and synonym. Seeing as you got that from a thesarus, here let me guide you in the right direction to proper good english:
    role -noun
    1. a part or character played by an actor or actress.
    2. proper or customary function: the teacher's role in society.
    3. Sociology. the rights, obligations, and expected behavior patterns associated with a particular social status.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/role
  17. ARCHIVED-Schmalex23 Guest

-Aonein- wrote:
    Sad that you talk about imagination but you cant see how getting gear, exp, plat, spells, etc is getting payed. It may be virtual but thats what your virtual charater needs. You are doing a job to get the items you want, the exact same way we do it in real life. BTW, people do get payed to play this game, look at station exchange for example, or even further the millions of plat sellers.
  18. ARCHIVED-Schmalex23 Guest

wow you really are dumb...

syn·o·nym [sin-uh-nim]
    –noun
    1. a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language

Look at the second definition in your post... omg a teachers role? is that refering to her job? Gasp!
  19. ARCHIVED--Aonein- Guest

Skel@Butcherblock wrote:
    I truely feel sorry for you Skel, no sarcasim or pune intended here, I mean it in all seriousness.
    It is always sad when someone loses touch with a game in such a way they start to refer to it as work or as a job.
    Might be time to start thinking about having a break my old zerker brother.
    role-play -verb (used with object)
    1. to assume the attitudes, actions, and discourse of (another), esp. in a make-believe situation in an effort to understand a differing point of view or social interaction: Management trainees were given a chance to role-play labor negotiators.
    2. to experiment with or experience (a situation or viewpoint) by playing a role: trainees role-playing management positions.
    3. verb (used without object): to engage in role-playing.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/role play
  20. ARCHIVED-Schmalex23 Guest

You are full of self owning in this thread. In the first and second definition you gave, its refering to a job being fulfilled by someone in another job. Even the most successful RPG in history calls classes jobs.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/jobs.shtml

Once again, im done with you, and for as much as you annoy me i wish you a happy new year.