New to EverQuest 2

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Hedvig, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Hedvig New Member

I set up my account here a few days ago but couldn't post so I kept switching servers thinking something was wrong but at any rate here is my first post! I'm sorry if it is posted in the wrong part of the forums.

I got this game with all access from my best friend's parents who for reasons didn't want her playing anymore. My parents are into gaming and are fine with me gaming as long as it doesn't effect my education. I looked around at all the games offered and downloaded EQ2 because I thought the areas you can travel to look very interesting.

My father played EQ and EQ2 a long time ago and was kind of excited that I try one of them. My best friend used to play the first one so we are going in different directions :)

I have never really played a 3D MMO before as I have only played Rune Scape but after messing around on the servers I have basic character creations down and how to control the basics of the game.

There are a lot of options though and questions about what kind of servers to play on. I was wondering if perhaps I might have a break down of classes/races and do's and don't's

I consider myself shy in person but I'm friendly on the inside! I'm very much looking forward to joining a server and beginning to play.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Race and gender are a matter of what you want to look at when you play, for the most part. There are some differences in the inborn skills of different races, for instance, kerra can track and safefall (they're felines, after all), while gnomes can disarm traps and fix their own armor once a day (because they're mechanical geniuses). There is no wrong answer for what race to be.

As for class, that depends on your own playstyle and what you enjoy. I most enjoy my gnome conjuror, because I love blowing stuff up, and I have a sense of humor about dying (because mages wear cloth armor, we die often, so you better be able to laugh about it). If you want to do the most damage possible, you'll want something like an assassin or wizard or one of the other high-damage classes. You like pets? then maybe a conjuror, necromancer, illusionist, coercer, beastlord, or channeler is best for you. Etc.

Don't be afraid to try a class out. You won't have a good feel for how the class plays until about level 20-30, by which time you have most of the typical abilities of your class. Low levels go fast. It is possible now to start with a high level character with all the AA and tradeskill and so on, but I find that I need to play the class at a lower level to learn how to play it.

Do learn to craft. Any tradeskill is fine, but most people pick one that can make stuff that they'll need, so a tank might also be an armor smith, a ranger may be a woodworker who makes arrows, a caster class might want a sage to craft their own spells, cloth or leather wearers may want a tailor and so on. Again, there's no wrong answer, play what you enjoy.

Do bookmark the EQ2 wiki Solo Timeline. It will help guide you through the levels. The wiki will answer a lot of your questions, use the search box. I play in windowed mode, so I can switch back and forth between the game and my browser. Others wantthe full screen letterbox experience. It's up to your personal taste.

Do install EQ2Maps. It's a huge help.

Do remember that this is a game and have fun. There is no "must do". Play the game the way you enjoy. We have people who are hard-core raiders, people who only do crafting and interior decorating, folks who love to explore every weird nook and cranny, find your playstyle and enjoy it.
    Blazen, Breanna and flameweaver like this.
  3. flameweaver Well-Known Member

4. Dude Well-Known Member

For picking a race, I really prefer the ZAM version. It lays everything out in a manner more readable to me. Really the only things that matter about race, beyond personal preference, are the Innate Abilities. When I make anything other than a scout class I like to have a race that gives Tracking as an Innate Ability. It's not a deal breaker if I really want another race, but it's a really handy skill.

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Racial_Traditions_(EQ2)
    flameweaver likes this.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Also EQ2U is your friend. You can look at the AA set-ups that others use. You can use their Quest checklists and a lot of other information. I rely more on EQ2U and EQ2Traders but it really comes down to which layout you prefer for the information.

Try out the servers available to you during the days and times you can play and see which you like the best. When you settle on a server, find a friendly, active guild, that can and will help you along the way in your journey.

Welcome to Norrath, play your way, play what you like, enjoy the journey and have FUN.
    flameweaver likes this.
  6. Breanna Well-Known Member

Well can't really add much to that I think they covered everything. But do want to say welcome and enjoy the game :)
    flameweaver likes this.
  7. Hedvig New Member

Thank you everyone! I'm delighted to say I made a high elf dirge on the Maj'Dul server and after being born in Greater Faydwerk (sic?) I joined a very friendly guild called misplaced spirits.

So far I am really enjoying the game and everyone has been very friendly and helpful! The music is wonderful and I love how the game looks! I am already having a blast foresting, gathering, trapping, fishing, and finding unique things on the ground :)
    Fighting those silly groblins is also very fun!

The things posted for me to look at here are also very helpful so thank you! I'm not sure which server all of you play on but you can find me on Maj'Dul my name is Hedvig :)
    flameweaver likes this.
  8. Breanna Well-Known Member

I'm also on Maj'Dul :) Glad you are enjoying the game so far. I'm not on much as of late because of work things lots of long long hours SIGH I know Breanna misses me a lot. Anyhow if I can help you out in any way shoot me a tell. Right now though I'm only on about an hour a night (OMG going through withdrawals) but on the weekend I'm on almost all day with lots of afk's to do laundry and stuff. But still look me up if there is anything I can do to help you out. I have all of the crafting professions.
  9. Orionza Active Member

Hi and welcome! I don't think you could have picked a better game to play! Many of us have been playing this game for years. There are a TON of things to do. You'll never be bored. There are quests, and dungeons, and mercenaries to help you if you like to solo. You can do a lot of content alone now, which is great. There's harvesting and crafting and a TON of events. If you like decorating you'll love the communities. Join the Antonia_Bayle homeshow chat group if you like decorating (do a /join Antonia_Bayle.homeshow and the channel chat will display in your window - very helpful and active people there when it comes to decorating!)

I find most people in this game are helpful and kind. Most are mature but there are some in main chat that is just ugh. Just click on their names and Toggle Ignore haha

Enjoy yourself, and have fun putting clothes you love into your wardrobe! Your character is gonna look so awesome.
    Breanna and flameweaver like this.
  10. Hedvig New Member

Been a while, Norrath! ):

In my scatterbrain wisdomz I decided to try making a copy of my toon on the Halls of Fate server. I still have my original lvl 85 high elf Dirge but I'm trying out another to see if I can apply what I learned on my first run :)
    It should be fun because I never bothered with crafting before and want to try it out this time and I am kind of addicted to searching for collectables this time too. It's been so long (6 or 7 months) that I don't remember if I really did that before either!

I would like to find a guild on this server but I'm not really sure what kind of guild. I want something not too big and not focused on raiding. There has to be a sense of humor because some of the guilds on my first server/character would get mad if you said simple silly words like teets.

I picked new Halas as my birth place this time and the same race and class. I feel like I have a better grasp on how the game works and I'm really enjoying it :)

I don't know if there is a rule in bumping a almost 1 year old thread and if there is, sorry! Feel free to split this and make it a separate one if I "DUN GOOF'D"

My name on Halls of Fate is Hedvig. I'm online right now so send me tells! I will try my best to not go awol for months at a time. School is a cruel and evil and /silenced by parents/
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  11. Seefar Well-Known Member

Hi, Hedvig! I'm about to go online so I'll send you a tell or two :)
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Rosyposy like this.