New to EQ2, just need simple advice!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by BigBlake, May 25, 2020.

1. BigBlake New Member

So I'm new to EQ2, never really gotten past lvl 10 in the past. Been an EQ1 player off and on. Anyway since I've gotten my new computer and monitor and can run everything on max graphics, EQ2 has been enjoyable and seems promising!

I'm a casual player, don't play much, currently on server skyfire. I'm having a tough time deciding between beserker, Conjurer, and Beastlord. I like pet classes really much, but I also love melee in your face AOE type classes. What do you all recommend for a casual player? Also do zerkers use 2handers? Currently just using a couple rusty 1 handers lol.

And on that note with the exp bonus on the server, I find i'm out leveling quests fast, should I switch to AA exp or just keep it on normal exp?

Thanks for the info all!
  2. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

As an alt'aholic who purchased the beastlord feature years ago, you'd think I could tell about it. Maybe if I could focus on just the one character, I'd be able to recommend it? LOL
    Berserker is definitely the best suited among the ones you are asking about for casual playing (very straight forward, me smash em character), and as for 2 handed weapons, as long as it says fighter, the zerker can use it. That being said, I have enjoyed Conjurer more so than the others, though I'll sometimes forget to summon my pet (alt'aholizm is what it is, lol).
    Regarding xp and AA, I recommend converting most xp to AA to prevent advancing too fast in levels if your focus is going to be to follow the stories, if you want them to continue to be challenging.
    BigBlake likes this.
  3. dorotea Well-Known Member

For pet classes the beastlord has the advantage that it is melee which you like. It is not one of the simpler classes to play which can be good or bad for you.

Melee with area attacks the berserker is good, as is the shadowknight. Both are fighters which means the major role is to tank in groups, so they do a bit less damage solo. The swashbuckler is a dps class with quite a few area attacks - it does significantly better damage than any fighter but lacks the group tanking tools and uses somewhat worse armor. The same I assume for the companion scout class but I always play swashbuckler.
    BigBlake likes this.
  4. Melkior Well-Known Member

If you want to slow your level rate feel free to adjust the slider. Just know that you get awarded AA as you level anyway, and you are doing it as a way to slow down not for efficiency. (I personally like to do this on new characters to get the feel of them, but I'm apparently in the minority)

As for which class, BL is definitely an up close melee class with a pet. And very versatile. It takes a fair amount of work to tame and level up the various warder types, but it's well worth it. Zerker, SK, or Pally all have a variety of up close AOE options. To my knowledge all classes can use 2H weapons, only scouts and the zerker can dual wield.

Conj is a fun class also. easy to learn, fairly easy to solo. But not so much an up close damage type.

Mercs are very helpful at low levels. They make soloing extremely easy for any class. The higher level you get, they lose their luster. Once you get to around 100, they pretty much are good for cures and spot heals.
    BigBlake likes this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

Just as a side note, the Beastlord class must be purchased separately.
    BigBlake and Breanna like this.
  6. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

As a returning EQ2 player (and main EQ1 player), I've thoroughly enjoyed my beastlord. The beastlord pet is more like the enchanter pet in EQ1 but it does a ton of damage and heals (self or group members). The beastlord is versatile and friendly for a new EQ2 player.

The only downside is you have to purchase the class separately as mentioned above.
    BigBlake likes this.
  7. BigBlake New Member

Thanks everyone, so far I'm sticking with the Beastlord, he's level 19 and loving it. Might play the Conj or tank type as an alt when I need a break from it! Really appreciate it guys!
    Hartsmith likes this.
  8. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Is this still true? I have two accounts that I regularly sub, but only had purchased the beastlord. When I purchased BoL on the account that didn't have beastlord, I found I was able to create a beastlord on it. Either they changed the purchase requirement, or my account got it for free.