New SOE Server Status Page

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Isulith, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Dethdlr Guest

DanKinney wrote:
    Yeah, I can see how that could get pretty messy and dangerous pretty fast. Has anyone considered putting tiers into the privacy settings for users/characters so your choices of who could see your information would be Me, Authenticated Users, or World? Then you could expose feeds for those that chose World.
    Might not be many that pick that setting but if there were tools out there that I wanted to use, but could only use them if I picked that setting, I'd probably do it.
    But exposing protected things is probably going to be tricky.
  2. ARCHIVED-DanKinney Guest

Yes - we are modeling the privacy settings to be everyone, my guild, my friends, just me. Some stuff (like "my friends") won't be fully there until we have the ability to pull your friends from our archaic wonderful chat system. But still, we need to be able to identify the person requesting the data. When in the context of web page (with UI), this is straightforward. In a blind data pull, we need to do a little more work. Not impossible, but work nonetheless.
    We should start with providing feeds of items, spells, etc. I think this should be available already. Lemme go check.
    -dan
  3. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

While we're speaking of feeds, I assume it won't be possible to feed stuff not in english (aka data feed of items in french from Storms server for example)?
  4. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

Holy moly! It's good to see something like this.
    Had I known about it, I'd have sent cookies to you guys Via Brasse from Dragon*Con. =)
  5. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

DanKinney wrote:
    Dan,
    Thanks for your posts in this thread. Sites like mine are anxiously but patiently waiting in the wings for access to this type of data. We've got some crazy ideas that I hope will be useful to readers and, in the long run, may be helpful to SOE as it becomes easier to track items, progression, and to develop a better understanding of how items affect players.
    I know you have to weigh privacy settings and item discoveries and hope these discussions pay dividends soon. :)
  6. ARCHIVED-DanKinney Guest

I think I have a bunch of stuff ready to put out. I need to divert my attention to LaunchPad work for a few days (trying to get that out). Once that is out, I'll have the new data ready for you.
    -dan
  7. ARCHIVED-DanKinney Guest

Finora@Everfrost wrote:
    Mmmm...cookies.
    -dan
  8. ARCHIVED-DanKinney Guest

Whilhelmina@Storms wrote:
    We provide the data as it comes to us from the game team. At the moment, it is in English. We should (will) find a way once we get the first pass out.
    -dan
  9. ARCHIVED-Dethdlr Guest

DanKinney wrote:
    Sounds like a plan. Hopefully we'll be able to pick our character before logging in with the new version (crosses fingers). :) Logging in to voice like we can from Station Launcher and remaining in voice as we swap between characters would be nice too. But that's another topic. :)
  10. ARCHIVED-DanKinney Guest

We can do the former (choose a character within the LaunchPad), although it isn't wired up completely at the moment. It will be done soon.
    The latter is more difficult (I don't think I should go into much detail).
    -dan
  11. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

I hope it will be something that us, launcher 1 users, can appreciate and that is reliable (and not streaming !)
  12. ARCHIVED-Dethdlr Guest

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the "as of" time available through this feed, but I'm wondering if there shouldn't be either a new status or a time threshold that changes the status once it's been a certain amount of time. This is what the status looks like for EQ2 right now:
    [IMG]
    Once it's been over 18 hours since an update, we're not really showing the status of anything other than the reporting feed. I heard people mentioning that Nagafen was down so I went to the status page to see if it was back up yet. No clue, last update was over 18 hours ago. :(
    Also, I wonder how the howLongAgo function will react if the numbers get larger than they were ever intended to get. :) Once it goes over 24 hours, does it flip back to 0? If not, what happens if it goes over 100 hours? Does it flip to 0 then? :)
  13. ARCHIVED-DanKinney Guest

I restarted the process that pulls the data from our monitoring system. For some reason, it got stuck.
    I'll also add some extra monitoring to alert us when this data gets very old (way before 18 hours) so that I know that it is happening. I didn't know until someone from community pinged me.
    -dan
  14. ARCHIVED-Isulith Guest

Dethdlr@Butcherblock wrote:
    We had a massive power outage for the entire San Diego area last night. It affected many of our computer systems. The server status page should be working again now. Thanks for catching this! Dan will have to answer about the specifics for functions as that is a bit over my head. :O)
  15. ARCHIVED-Dethdlr Guest

Isulith wrote:
    I figured it had something to do with the power outage. Must have been a fun trip home last night. :(

DanKinney wrote:
    I was considering modifying my code so that it would indicate when the data got pretty stale. However, with the changes you're planning on making, I don't know if that should be a concern or not. I'm wondering if the thing gets stuck again at say, 1am on a Saturday, do you think it would it stay stuck for a while?
    Thanks!
  16. ARCHIVED-DanKinney Guest

If you notice that it is stuck - at 1pm on a Wednesday or even 1am on a Saturday - send me an email at dkinney@soe.sony.com and I'll take a look. I may not get the email right away (I do sleep from time to time), but I'll get on it as quickly as possible.
    We will be adding more internal monitoring of the process so that we can detect it much earlier.
    -dan
  17. ARCHIVED-Dethdlr Guest

DanKinney wrote:
    Sounds good. I modified mine a bit to show a ? over the icon if the data is more than 10 minutes old. Should be a better indicator for my version that something may not be quite as rosy as it looks. :)
    Thanks again
  18. ARCHIVED-tkia Guest

Some thoughts: The page doesn't seem very reliable about remembering changes you've made even with all cookies enabled and logged in. Wouldn't it be more sensible for the default display to be 'collapse all' instead of 'show all'? I doubt anyone that uses the page is ever going to want to check the server list for every game. The page does not include the status of the login servers. I realise this is probably much harder to monitor but the state of the other servers is totally irrelevant if we can't get past the login servers to reach them. There's an awful lot of glaring white in the page background. That's not a good thing for those of us with varying degrees of photosensitivity.
  19. ARCHIVED-DanKinney Guest

Hmmm....good points, Tkia.
    Let us get the next build out and we can look at some of these. I hoped it would be out today, but yesterday's power outage put a crimp on progress.
    -dan
  20. ARCHIVED-Green Feet Guest

What's the point of having a flashy new server status page if it doesn't report correctly. Oasis server just kicked me off and is saying server down on log in screen... yet the status page says all systems go.

Is this another fail???