New SK completely confused

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Groott, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Groott New Member

New to EQ2 (well i did play to level 8 in like 2006 lol) uhhh WHAT THE )(*&(*& IS GOING ON????

I hit 10 and BAM I'm swarmed with pages of choice for talents and AA's and no idea what anything does. Every guide I see 4-6 years old and is completely nonsensical with names like Stam and Strength tree, but I see no such labels.

Does anyone know of a guide that is laid out for complete noobs?
  2. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

As far as I know, there really isn't a up-to-date, laid out guide. Each tree in the crusader chart was labeled by the first option in their line, i.e. Strength, Agility, Stamina, Wisdom, and Intelligence.
    Read through your trees and try to match your abilities to what you find in your trees to help you learn what everything does. Also, browse eq2 wire and go through some of the top raid guilds on each server. If you're conscious enough, you can pick through their stats, and read through their trees and see what they chose and what they're aiming for stat and gear-wise. While you may not raid, increasing your stats similarly will help with survivability, which is useful all around. A dead tank does no damage. XD
    First and foremost, if you're going to be playing in the end game stuff, gear, gear, gear. Also, mitigation and block are important. Arguable as to how much, largely depends on play style. But a fairly decent amount would be at least 20k mitigation and at least 65-75% block.
    If you're going to be playing end game stuff, is to find out what is happening in the new zones to learn what to spec for. There are tons and tons of abilities happening in the aa trees. One thing happening in the end game zones right now, lots and lots of fear. So fearless morale is helpful, as it makes you immune to fear. There are several things that increase your taunts also. Take them. Take them all. As a tank, hate is a number one priority. Make sure your hate gain is 100 (stat cap). There is also a fair amount of mem wipe happening in the new zones, and hate gain will help make sure the mobs return to you and stay with you as much as possible.
    Tip: Death March can reset Chaos Cloud, which is one of your biggest AOE taunts.
    Tip: Get Epic Repercussions done. The quest gives you a taunt snap which is almost undeniably one of the best snaps you'll get as an SK.
    Tip: You're basically a mage in plate armor that yells a lot. Half of your combat arts (and taunts) are spells, and a fair amount of double cast is excellent.
    Just ask around. There will likely be someone on your server willing to sit down and talk shop with you about what works for them and why. Good luck!
  3. Groott New Member

Wow thanks for all the info, figured out if i scroll over the abilties it tell you what tree it is. Kinda weird way of doing it haha,

I was wondering...how the heck do I talk in General since i can see it but dont have a chat option for it. I am a member
  4. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Groot, there is no wrong or right way to do AAs. It is easy to undo and redo them. I suggest you pick the AAs you want to REACH max level and AAs and then once there, redo them as you ARE max level and AAs then. Relax, have fun and earn them.

As for General, you left click on the chat tab window, options and look at the choices from there, I believe.
    Mercychalice likes this.
  5. Meirril Well-Known Member

Every chat channel you have open should have a number assigned to it. Start the line with /# with # being the number of the chat channel you want to talk in. It should auto-correct to the name of the channel you are typing in.

While Mercychalice's advice isn't bad, its aimed at an end-game character. If you are leveling like a madman then you'll probably want to follow Mercy's advice. If you are leveling slowly you might want to do your AA tree aimed more at helping yourself in the short term. Fortunately you can respec your AA at anytime so any choices you make on the AA and prestige trees can be redone with a small amount of hassle.

My general advice is look at each tree and see what end-line abilities help you the most. Concentrate on the Crusader tree first. Once you've acquired the end-abilities in that tab, slowly look over the other trees and figure out where you will want to go next.

There are also pre-made AA builds that the devs put in. If you don't want to put a lot of time into studying AA you can just use one of them. One advantage of this is the AA will get spent automatically once you pick one. I would recommend following Mercy's advice and looking at other SK's AA builds at 100 and following the crowd, but while leveling the pre-made should be fine.

One last peice of advice. Since you are a member you can change your AA slider. If you want to aim for the end-game put 100% of your xp into leveling. There is a minimum amount of AA set up in the game, if you out level that minimum you will be awarded AA so you meet that minimum. On the other hand if you want to be "over powered" for your level find a good hunting spot and tap the slider over to 100% AA. This is especially useful when you are enjoying quests in a certain area but everything is starting to turn green. Just make sure to bump the slider down when you are ready to move on.
    Groott and Mercychalice like this.