New Rare Elite Mercs?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Cinnamon, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Cinnamon Active Member

A Request- We ever going to get anymore rare mercenaries added? It's been a couple years, I sure thought when they talked about these rare mercenaries, that more would be added along the way and since the last one was added, we haven't had anymore added for a while now.

I'm not talking about the claimed ones, for they are not really that rare. The dropped ones are hardly ever used, the devs should be looking into that though. They should be a tad better then the easily obtain ones, if you ask me.
  2. Deago Well-Known Member

For the 90usd CE one it better be King Kong.
    Feldon likes this.
  3. Grundge Active Member

A dev got on the beta server earlier tonight and told us that we will be getting 5 new elite mercs.

So yea they are coming. :)
    Virgatus likes this.
  4. Deago Well-Known Member

CE is elite so that is one. I wonder if the other new four are going to be all 'found' or maybe some quested at 100?

Qho should have a endline quest for the new expansion making him an elite. *shrugs*
  5. Elite Active Member

Really? Awesome.
  6. Cinnamon Active Member

I am talking about the rare spawned ones, not the claimed ones or the so call elite ones that come from a dropped instance...so 5 would sure would be lot for the ones I am asking about.
  7. Loredena Active Member

I assume it is a combo -- he said 5 new ones, and there are 2 zones. So even if they did add to the new zones, I assume they'd end up adding elsewhere too.
  8. Virgatus Member

That's great news!
  9. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

The other 4 better not involve $USD pay to win mechanics.
  10. Sisca Well-Known Member

Just curious, why not?

Is being able to buy something from the SC store any less fair than only rewarding those that are willing to spend hour after hour running from point to point trying to get a rare spawn?

As a player you have 2 currencies to offer - time or money. Why is it that it's perfectly ok to reward those that have tons of time to do something boring over and over again but it's not ok to reward those that have extra cash to spend? If I spend 8 - 10 hours of my day working and earning money why isn't it ok for me to spend some of that money to get a reward in what is essentially my entertainment medium of choice. Yet it's perfectly ok to reward those that have 8 - 10 hours a day to spend playing the game.

To me what would be a much better solution is to offer options. Let those that can afford it pay for the mercs with SC and make it available for those that would rather not or can't afford to spend their hard earned cash through some in game method. I'd even rather that be some long drawn out quest that possibly involves completing every advanced solo in the expansion than the current rare spawn in one of an unknown number of random locations but that's just me.
    Halanna and Griff like this.
  11. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

If something is available both in-game AND in the store, no problem. That, however has not been the case for CE mercenaries. In fact, there is no possible way anyone can get the CE mercenaries from Chains of Eternity....they simply don't exist for new players. Cough up an extra $50 USD or you won't have this one either.

Oh, and the CE isn't available on the SC store. Won't be ever.
  12. Griff Well-Known Member

You bring up a great point that so may miss. There really is no "pay to win" as so many claim. For some, self included, it's "pay in order to play" based on my solo/duo preferred play style. Our family plays the game, but often not together due to schedules. In the past, we left the game to go to Vanguard because so much of the game was off limits unless you could schedule a family group since we really don't care anymore for pick up groups. With the addition of Mercenaries, we now can enjoy seeing more of the game and being able to play more of our characters by complimenting the duo/group with a needed mercenary.

People should be proud in being able to say "I got mine for FREE!"; without trashing someone who rather enjoy more of the game by purchasing something they don't have the time/ability to obtain on their own. If anything, those obtaining theirs for FREE should smile at the person paying for the item with SC since that supports the game that gets them the items they quest/hunt for.

I can appreciate seeing a car go down the road that I will never buy. I don't really care how hard the owner does or does not work. It's not my life, it's not my car, it's simply a cool looking machine that someone enjoys. I don't get bitter that it takes me 60 hours a week to afford my new used car, I'm simply glad that I can afford one.
    Sisca likes this.
  13. Ratza Well-Known Member

True...and I'm sure this new CE merc will not be available outside of the CE package.
  14. Sisca Well-Known Member

I can agree with that. However, on beta last night it was either Gninja or Kander that mentioned that they were adding 4 new elite mercs - though I'm not sure they're coming with the expansion or added in separately. If those other 4 mercs were available in game and for SC would people have a problem with it?

What about if those 4 are only available using the current camping mechanic, isn't it, then, also fair that the elite that people can buy for the princely sum of $50 be at least equivalent?

Like I said, I'm all for options. If there are going to be 4 other elites that you can get in game then you really can start crying "play to win" because there is 1 option available for those with more money than time.
  15. Vorvon Member