New PQ loot changes

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by jbc1948, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

The time spent implementing changes that can also adversely affect legitimate participants is the problem. It's not a game breaking problem. I'd rather get my loot than make my life more difficult, including missing out on loot I earned, for the sake of insuring that the other guy doesn't get his. There is no easy solution that doesn't make life more difficult for everyone. I'm saying that this is one of those "suck it up, buttercup" issues. There are other, more pressing problems with this game and only a handful of developers left to tackle them. Collect your loot, grind your teeth at the other guy, and move on with your life.
    Mensa and Semperfifofum like this.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

I stated that I believed the 'fix' was broken.
    You stated that the problem was the 'whiners'... not the people who were 'cheating'... that the broken fix was implimented.

Be upset that the fix is broken.. but the people who were 'abusing' the PQs enough that the devs made the change are more 'at fault' then the people who may have complained about those people. You seem to be saying otherwise in your posts.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  3. Sowy Active Member

You have a very low threshold for what's considered cheating...
    Leipo likes this.
  4. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I second this. There are enough real problems to worry about.

1. People don't "get it" that if you don't join a raid when invited, your dps will be nearly nil against an epic, that includes the PQ. Join a raid and watch your poorly geared alt go from 2k damage to 50k, per individual hit (judging by the overhead combat display).
    Speaking of over head combat display, gigantic creatures cause it to be hard to see your damage numbers without ACT, or without turning your camera to point straight up. In KP that would be useless as you should at least make a tiny effort to avoid the whirlwinds coming at you. So most casuals don't notice the difference in raid vs solo attack damage, with the result that, they don't join PQ raids.

2. Nearly everyone I've been invited by for raiding the PQ has set Free for all looting and "Anyone" yell access. That would be fine for LOTRO, but not here, too much trolling potential, though I imagine there are safeguards in the PQ for that. Possibly it's an alt that has never grouped before and the settings were never checked. But I see that as an advantage of the PQ, it gives you a chance to learn how to create a raid, learn who you can move and who you can't and why, and it gives you a chance to notice if your loot settings are bad for general grouping. However, I don't see people using it like that.

3. The questgiver for the OF PQ is MILES AWAY! so that encourages people to stand in the gazebo and hover over the sword until it is clickable. If you had a quest giver there, say, near the ghost, or if you repurposed the ghost to also give you the PQ quest after your KA Sig is done, then the AFK people just waiting for the PQ would stand there instead and the AFK looting wouldn't happen in the first place. They'd have to at least move. And since that PQ is over in minutes, usually one minute, there would be no point in just standing there if you already just moved.
    There is another abuse of the OF pq which I will not describe but might've led to people abusing it more than the others. Now that loophole is much more closed.

4. The Fens adds have insane mitigations. In KP, I can make a dent with an alt that has Resolve around 140-150 and NO ascension skills when attacking a mudfin, but if it's Fens and we're talking one of those osseous brood creatures, I may as well focus on the dragon for all the good I'm doing.

5. Twice when I was there the JW PQ was trolled by some dipstick who thought it was funny to pull all the infiltrators, kite them, and near the end, pull them on top of the raid, killing nearly everyone. It's a "funny once."

Do I think all these problems will be fixed? Meh maybe but don't hold your breath.

The most important thing to remember is: you can only get gear with Resolve 17 max, and only three pieces of it, total (not including the fabled merc chest armor). The good gear you can get is equal to what you can get from Advanced Solo's, so the only thing of serious value there is Familiar Cages, and experience.

You can get Familiars (but not in a Cage) from mobs though, even trash mobs. I got a drake (treasured) from the firey creatures in Wurmscale Barrens (twice!!), so with a little thought, you might find mobs that consistently drop the familiar you are looking for... maybe. That's why it's a game. (I wonder if you can get the swarm one from The Draftling Tower?)
    Livejazz likes this.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

Many people run the PQs for the tokens (there are some nice things to buy at the ny'celona merchant) and, once they finish epic 2.0, for the fragments to upgrade their epic 2.0 abilities.
    Livejazz likes this.
  6. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

That's a good point, and explains the multiboxed farmers since the tokens are heirloom. I remember thinking, "yeah right" when I saw the cost of some of the items in Nye'Caelona. But I'm nowhere near dedicated enough to deal with the hassle of multibox farming. It would take all the fun out of the game for me.

Making things so expensive because you assume that multiboxers are farming it is kinda de-motivating me to work toward any of the "stretch goals" but that's not unique to this expansion. And anyway I have more fun if I don't try to grind my brains out toward some artificial goal that will be irrelevant in a year. So that's probably why I didn't think much about the tokens. Good point though.
    Livejazz likes this.
  7. Heijo Member

From the Update Notes for June 20th:

PUBLIC QUESTS
    • Treasure chests spawned upon completion of public quests are now larger.
    • You now have 10 minutes to claim your prize from the treasure chests that spawn after completion of Battlement Bound in Jarsath Wastes and Ill Omen in Kylong Plains.
    • You will now receive a reward called "Treasure Seeker's Sense" upon completion of a public quest that allows you to see that public quest's treasure chest for a limited time. It also adds a waypoint to the treasure chest.
    • The Ill Omen treasure chest now spawns somewhere along the lake's shore.
    Thank you, Devs!
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  8. Leipo New Member

I'm not clear how multi-box farming would benefit from the heirloom (but maybe it is too early for me to see it) but the only way the multi-box farmer would benefit is if that team had their own team of alts, because the heirloom is "box-specific".
    Azian and Mermut like this.
  9. Uxtalzon Active Member

Sucks that the chests were bugged and didn't spawn sometimes, otherwise this change would have been given mere indifference to glowing praise. Glad it's fixed. They didn't really need to make a waypoint but that extra step is a nice touch.

Oddly enough though, with fewer people attending PQs the past week, those who did were power-houses such that a dozen players could take down JW and KP probably faster than a full raid could.

Now if they'd only fix the Spectral Heart to be LORE-EQUIP only instead of LORE so I can share multiples to alts, and possibly sell my 9 extra Hydra Helms for currency. *fingers crossed*
  10. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you for the overcomplicated fix to a problem created by an ill-advised change.
    Discovery of problems in this new set of mechanics in 3...2...1...
    Just. Roll. It. Back. Already.
    Livejazz likes this.
  11. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Just did the Fens PQ and it works awesomely...waypoint for chest, chest is huge and easily visible. And at least for this one, there were far fewer people AFKing/auto-attacking and tying up the Sentries, so it wasn't as hard to grab them and bring them to the group for killing.
    Semperfifofum and Prissetta like this.
  12. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I re-read my post and I can see how you came to that conclusion, I wasn't being clear.

Yes exactly it benefits the alts that you switch in or out as needed for the encounter, and with the 100-boost they have the chance to switch up their lineup easily if they want. But those new alts all need things and the original one(s) don't need as much. Restrictions just make it more fun for some people. Wish I had the bookkeeping mind that is required for such an effort, but I don't. I'm bad at chess too. :D
  13. Azian Well-Known Member

I believe the point that Leipo was making is that multi-boxing will not help any one character accrue currency faster. So, say your main is an SK. You box your SK along with a defiler in PQs. The currency you gain on the defiler does nothing to help your SK since they are heirloom and on a 2nd account. The same is true regardless of how many accounts you run. What does help is if you run your SK through all the PQs and then swap to your troub and do the same thing, then your fury, etc. If all are on the same account you get the benefit of the daily quests for the PQs on each character. When all that is done, you ponder destroying your computer because you've "had to" run PQs so many times that your eyes are bleeding and you now hate the game and blame the PC for bringing it to you. :)
    Livejazz likes this.
  14. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

That's a great description of how I feel when I consider multiboxing. LOL But the point I was making was that you never have only 6 accounts, with one person each, you need to swap, you'd likely have an SK and a Bruiser on one account and swap the more appropriate tank in whenever you need to. And the defiler would be on an acct with an Inq and maybe a Mystic... you see my drift? Multiply by 4 groups and ouch, my brain is bleeding. I'm very impressed that people take on such a complex task. More power to them! And raid gear SLR for me :)
  15. Livejazz Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna say that as much as I dislike "cheaters," the few times I did each of the PQs prior to the change I was too busy doing my own thing, trying to help out, to notice what other people are doing. 9 times out of 10, I can't even see what they're doing (or not doing) because it's just a big mass of colors, numbers, & spell effects going off.

I get the "ant-AFK" idea; I just don't believe it was ever serious enough to warrant the change. However, the change does seem to have worked, going by the very small sample size I've seen so far. So, yea, I tried a couple PQs to see if it worked, discovered it seems to have done so without making the actual PQ any more fun or interesting to do, so I re-enacted my personal boycott of PQs & moved on.