New Players trying F2P Struggles

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Brutalis, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Brutalis New Member

Hey Everyone,

Hoping one of the Devs or content managers read this and pass it on.

1. Free to play concept is to grasp players into the game and see if they can get a feel for it, that should bring in more revenue for more character slots, expansions ect,
    The system you guys have now is massively flawed, I got about 20 peeps to sign up and do f2p and brought some returning as well. the
    1. F2P cant use the broker, cant even buy from broker, "Lower player economy now ruined. "
    2. F2P cant even PING a guild on the guild recruiting page to join
    3. F2P cant use general chat for feel engaged in the community or server and ask for help.
    4. Get F2P players hooked onto the system and watch the Revenue increase, the models works and look at GW 2.
    • Which EQ2 is far superior with amazing content.
    • Only reason it declined is normal house holds couldnt play the game in 2004, and It should of been delayed 1-2 years so the new PC gamers that taped into WoW could have a understanding of a MMO.
    • SO if your a new player testing the game, and you cant make any friends you cant join a guild. how are you going to get that mmo attachment of a community when your completely isolated. Ive asked many of my subs who are interested in buying Luclin, some have bought it and got all access. who have said they would of left the game if we didn't get the guild join and focus on just getting newbs to make it fun.
    • Thanks for reading!
    See yall in Norrath.
  2. Raff Well-Known Member

The game has been steadily moving away from the F2P model. DPG "wants" you to sub.

That said, if 20 of you came to the game to play free...then make a guild together. Now you have guild chat. If any of your 20 is subbed, then they can be your guild's go between for services. There are a lot of F2P'ers enjoying the game currently.

You have 80 levels of F2P content. WoW has 20.
    Siren and Cyrrena like this.
  3. Fangrim Active Member

There are 100 levels of F2P content. I have no idea of the whining over it, it is by far better than most mmorpg that are around or have ever existed.
    Siren, Rosyposy and Cyrrena like this.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I think you only need one of those 20 people subbed to create the guild, that would probably be you, that brought them all into the game in the first place.
    Siren and Breanna like this.
  5. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

The only thing I wish they would change is un-muting the ftp players. Let them talk in chat.
  6. dorotea Well-Known Member

Muting free players is necessary to make it harder for spammers that would just create dozens or hundreds of accounts and replace every one banned with half a dozen more.
    Siren, Elkana, Raff and 1 other person like this.
  7. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

In retrospect, EQ2's F2P is so generous that it probably hurt the game's revenue in the long term (past, present, and future). As you've outlined, there's actually few restrictions for F2P. Need broker? Sub 1 account or buy Broker Tokens. I believe selling Krono does not require Broker access. Fast Travel? Meh, get a teleport stein (bind at a bar in any expac). Chat options? Not an impediment if in a guild. This leaves the only reason to sub for Prestige gear which may not affect casual players.

The case can be made that EQ2 should have a more restrictive F2P model (e.g. limit mercs access to subscribers only) to encourage subs and lessen reliance on RMT or "P2W" (real money transactions). Many players on the forums have been against cash shop crates and instant upgrades. But the devs need to get paid and the servers' lights kept on somehow. So, on one hand, the devs can move to a more restrictive F2P model but this may not be feasible where the numbers may not support an older title. Or, they maintain the status quo (mix of generous F2P and moderate RMT) and keep the game running.
    Elkana, Raff and Breanna like this.
  8. Raff Well-Known Member

I think you still need 5 people to create a guild. Or at least I still see people in chat asking for warm bodies to help them make one.
  9. Muppethero Member

FTP is more of a trial. come check out the game. Like it? Pay for it! Support new content!
    Siren and Raff like this.