New player to EQ2

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by swindog, Mar 15, 2018.

1. swindog New Member

Hi all,

As the topic says.

I have never played this game before however new MMORPGS really cant keep my attention long.

From what I can see this game is still going strong and has a very good community.

Any recommendations for a newcomer or essential start tips?

I am a UK player and suggestion on server and also and UK/EU guilds out there for n00bs.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I recommend you go Free to Play on a live server, to see if you like the game mechanics, the lore and such. Look for a guild that will help new players and learn. Once you find you do like the game, you can change your options to pay for it. Know that you are missing some nice things by not paying for a membership, but it wont hurt for a few weeks to make sure you do like the game before you invest money into it. Come back here for answers for questions that a guild cant answer. Good luck and I hope you stay and play with us!
  3. swindog New Member

Thanks for this. what am I missing out on in relation to the subscription please?
  4. swindog New Member

Also what is this TLE server I keep reading?

Sorry for questions just trying to get the best start.
  5. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

TLE server, also called Progression Server, is a server that has old school rules. It automatically opens an expansion every so many weeks, and the game is thus restricted to what it was like "back in the day". The current server using this rule is called Fallen Gate, and it requires a subscription to access it.
  6. Meneltel Well-Known Member

You don't get many of the chat channels, mail service and some extra experience but you get almost all of the zones in game but the latest expansion or two (I forget).

TLE is Time Locked Expansion. Each expansion is unlocked after a few months, giving people time to explore each expansion, but it is only for membership, which is about $15 US dollars, no idea what that is in Euros or Pounds or whatever. That is per month. Stop paying for it and you lose access to the characters on TLE but they aren't wiped, just locked to you.
  7. swindog New Member

great thanks again.

Strange how this is only on the US and not EU side.

Finally with all access do you get all expansions?
  8. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

Less character slots. I think you get 2 with free to play. You can't access the broker to buy and sell unless you purchase broker tokens using daybreak cash (buy this with RL money). You can't use the broadcast chat channels like auction, shout, level, even though you might be able to see them. You cannot form a guild (although you can join one). You can't make characters on the TLE server or on the free trade server. You don't have access to the last 2 expansions. You cannot adjust your AA slider (controls where your experience goes), nor can you scribe Grandmaster spells (higher upgrades to your skills). You can receive but not send in game mail. It costs you daybreak cash to use the Fast Travel ability on the map window. You cannot equip certain very specific equipment items (high level) that are flagged Prestige.

Now the good news: You do NOT have any time restriction, you can level and quest as far as the free expansions allow you to, and there is no restriction on bank space, bag space, bag size, housing, or guild membership.

Carrots for subscribers: permanent buff making mounts 10% faster. More character slots. Ability to play on TLE and Free Trade servers. Making a guild. Using broker. Sending mail. Fast Travel using map window is free. Double currencies/tokens rewarded. 15% bonus to looted coin. 10% discount on Marketplace purchases. 500 Daybreak cash per month. Full use of any armor that your class/level can equip. Certain items from Loyalty Merchant are subscriber only.
  9. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

What's not on the EU side?

And with all access you get all the expansions up to the present one (Planes of Power) which must be purchased separately.
  10. swindog New Member

Thanks for all of the above.

I was reffering to the TLE server its based on the NA side yes not EU?
  11. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

Y
    Yes, the only server that is on the EU side is the main server "Thurgadin". All others are on this side of the pond. A lot of EU players do play on USA servers.
  12. Carynn Well-Known Member

The TLE US server caters to all players. There is a number of EU guilds and EU folks in game.