New player - seeking advice

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Nhyxx, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Nhyxx New Member

So ive been playing MMOs ever since UO. Moved to SWG then WOW, dabbled in SWTOR, RIFT, WildStar and a couple of others (ESO etc), but never really found a home.

Loved SWG pre Nerfed Play Experience, and still to some degree after. Figured WOW had become too dumb, so i heard lots of great things about EQ2, so here I am!

Any tips on what to do, which classes are more new player friendly (I will solo a lot). Whilst I love healers, i will probably stick with DPS for my first char.

Oh im in the UK, so would rather pick an EU friendly shard, and if i like what i see, i have no issues subscribing/buying expansions etc.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Slica, did you see that the new preorder has ANOTHER potency buff thing?
  3. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I think Sigrdrifa may have replied in the wrong thread.

Most of the classes are soloable, and new player friendly (except Channeler and Beastlord, which seem to be very technical - I could never get the hang of them, but I'm sure others will be quick to correct me).

Thurgadin is the EU server, but you can play on any of the US ones as well. The EU server has English, French, German and Russian language players. For US, Maj'dul seems to be the most populated at the moment.

My main is a Fury - a hybrid healer/dps class. Not the best DPS, not the best healer, but somewhere in the middle. She suits me, though /shrug.

For DPS, wizard, warlock or any mage class, or ranger, assassin or scout (hunter) classes. Scouts (bards - troubadors/dirges) are also utility classes with group buffs and mob debuffs. Some of the fighter classes (monk and bruiser, I think) can do decent dps, if melee is your preferred fighting style.

One way to choose is to pick a class, play it until around level 10-20 to get a feel for it, and if you don't like it, reroll to try another class. The important thing, though, is to play what you enjoy!

And welcome!
    Soara2 and nhyxxx like this.
  4. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I agree about the beast and channeler. Fury might not be the best healer or dps, but I find mine to be the best soloer in more situations. I don't find most dps classes to be new player or solo friendly. Maybe it's just me.
    Rhodris likes this.
  5. Dilon Active Member

Hi,

Thurgadin is the EU server. After logging in be sure to check to see which version you are running, you want EU English and not US English, otherwise Thurgadin will not be an option.

As far as tips, that is a very broad question. If you are totally new to the game I suggest you start with a level 1 character and choose either Qeynos or Freeport on your starting location depending on the good/evil alignment of your character. These starting cities have a nice tutorial flow, first you start on a boat and learn the very basics, then you will be on the Isle of Refuge where you can stretch out a bit more and get a sense of how gameplay flows and how quests progress.

After you get the basics of gameplay with your first character you can more seriously consider which class you want to be your main.

Any of the classes can solo, some will be able to solo better than others. I will throw out a one of each archetype as suggestions to try. For fighter, try a shadowknight. For scout try a swashbuckler. For priest try a Fury. And for mage try a conjuror.