New Player Re:Expansion

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Jesdest, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Jesdest New Member

Hi All, I am a brand new player, I have dabbled in EQ1 for a few months, but, have yet to fully dabble in EQ2. I am curious as to see which expansions I would in fact need to purchase to get access to the full content, as well as a sub.

Can anyone help me out there?
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

If you purchase Destiny of Velious you get launch-Sentinels Fate content. Age of Discover and Chains of Eternity are Separate. Though really just by DoV then enjoy the game up to lvl 90... then buy AOD/COE unless you really want mercenaries or to play a Beastlord then buy AoD off the bad.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

You'll need CoE (which now comes with DoV) to do content above lvl 90 as well as some of the 85+ level zones.
    AoD is a 'feature pack'. It doesn't come with any content (no zones, quests, etc) but it does include 20 extra AA, reforging, tradeskill apprentices, the beast lord class and mercenaries. AoD is useful to have (and, contrary to popular opinion, the mercs are the -least- of it), but it definitely not needed to play everything available in the game.
  4. Ragna Well-Known Member

To have "everything" you'll need "Chains of Eternity", "Age of Destiny" and a gold sub.
    But if you're a new player without friends waiting to PL him, you really just need the gold sub and maybe AoD.
    CoE has nothing for player under lvl 86. So you won't need it to start.
    AoD doesn't have content and is a "features pack". Mercenaries and Beastlord classe are the only real perks for a new player but neither are "needed".

In short take a gold sub (maybe AoD) and discover EQ2. If you like it, buy CoE when you can you're 85+.
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

All the content from original game through Sentinal's Fate expansion is free (lvl 90). If you buy Chains of Eternity you can get the Destiny of Velious expansion as well and can level through to the current cap of 95. COE/Velious are pretty useless until you are 85+. Age of Destiny is basically a feature pack that gives you the ability to use mercenaries (any level), reforging (useful at high levels), tradeskill apprentices & to make a beastlord. It can be useful at anylevel, but isn't really required to play.
  6. Feldon Well-Known Member

Do not buy Destiny of Velious. It's already been removed from EverQuest2.com but may be available on other sites. There is no reason to buy it. Get Chains of Eternity and it includes all past expansions except Age of Discovery.
  7. Estred Well-Known Member

I know that now sadly I couldn't edit my post. Thanks for correcting the incorrect information there Feldon. I had lost track of this post or I would have done it myself.
  8. Koleg Active Member

F2P will get you levels 1-90 and 250 AA that includes content thru SF ... for a new player that is a lot to consume.

Add in a Gold Sub and unlock all gear, spells, race/class combos, in-game mail, bank space and quest couters.

Buy AOD (in the low levels) if you'd like to take advantage of the Beastlord class, try your hand at itemization thru Reforging, use Mercenaries and try out the Dungeon Maker and unlock 20 more AA.

Buy COE (in the higher levels) if you'd like to play in the current 11/2012 content when the vast majority of the player base is located. COE, as stated above, includes DoV and will unlock 50 more AA and raise the level cap to 95.

Buy DoV off of a bargin clearing house, if you can even still find it, and the level cap is 92 with 300 AA (320 w/ AOD).