New Player Question

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by TeneBrie, Jan 23, 2021.

1. TeneBrie New Member

Heyo,

I just started EQ2 from scratch a couple of months ago. I'm a 74 Ratonga Necro on AB.

My question is: I've already decided I'm going to purchase the latest release. However I wanted to learn the game and my class, so I've started from level 1 and gone through the quest lines I've run into etc.
    When is the best time to buy, based on level or what-have-you? I see from the boosts that most of the current content is 120 and other expansions look like End game is 90 with previous expansions being around 100+

But, are there super important features (not including wardrobes and cosmetic things), I'm missing out on? Is there actual game content for 70+ in past expansions that I'd now have access to?

Additional AA trees and ascension stuff sounds really cool but I havent done some basic things yet, like: group dungeons, groups at all except Dungeon Finder pick-ups, guilds.

I don't want to get distracted by expanding and/or boosting too soon. I boosted on another game missing out on higher level progression and it ruined the game for me in a number of ways. (Level 100+ Rogue stumbling about trying end game raids, while not knowing how to play the game at all, was not a good look.)

Thanks for any advice.

TeneBrie
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  2. Breanna Well-Known Member

If you like questing and the lore I'd keep going. End game is hard for a boosted character from what I hear. But if you are confident in your class now you would probably be fine. A lot of the stuff you'd miss you can get off the Panda like to raise your ascension levels. You need to be I think level 100 to start his quest though but they are very easy and you can blow through them in less than a day. After you do the 2020 quest there will be gear that will help with the new zones. You can go to the lock boxes and get gear and strip the adornments out of them. Then you should at least be set up for solo.
    TeneBrie and Soara2 like this.
  3. mothelm Active Member

If you are interested in taking your time with game Rewind the guild is a welcoming place for new players ...we operate like a progression server with fewer restrictions and are currently raiding level 70 and level 92 content...there are some thing that will no doubt be a bit confusing if you join but we are glad to help you get threw them....feel free to contact any member you see online or you can message me here too....you can find us using the guild window in game the "U" key...there is also a recruiting post in the forums here

Eixx...Founder of Rewind
    TeneBrie and Soara2 like this.
  4. Soara2 Well-Known Member

K well, Here are my thoughts on this. If you get the expansion now, you can use the mercenary training, wardrobe feature, train mounts and overseer features that take time to level up. Your research spells also take time to lvl up, so the higher you are the more time you have to research the top tier spells, because you can only research your lvl spells. Also, even if you boost to lvl 120, you will have a LOT of soloing things to do before you could ever group anyway, which gives you time to learn your class. This is just my opinion of course. I mean, If I were to boost scratch on a server, I would start, signature line, summer quests, then do some soloing zones until I got money + gear up. This gives you plenty of time for practice. Imo anyway. A lot of ppl would disagree, but this is my take on it. You could then also do some PQs which will help practice as well at 120. Plus it is not like you will be pressured to group or pressured to do anything unless you get around the wrong group, and you really do NOT have to group until you are ready to.
    So to be clear, yes there are features you are missing out on, and the time wasted you could be leveling them now (at lvl 1 adventure can start these) instead of waiting until later- overseer, train mounts, train mercenary (plus having a mercenary) and if you use the boost, you can start researching the higher lvl spells NOW instead of later, as well as start getting the ascension lvls. Plus you are missing out on the wardrobe feature (start adv lvl 1 can use), which allows u to use any lvl/class gear for appearance as well as carry 2 lore weapons appearance also.
    Carynn and TeneBrie like this.
  5. TeneBrie New Member

Thank you both for your thoughts and suggestions!
    Soara2 likes this.
  6. Carynn Well-Known Member

I like your response, but to note: mercenaries are borked, and unless you're a level 110 or 120, you can't get a fabled mercenary that is needed to start training (110 is the guide merc, 120 is the CE/PE expac). Training the lower tier ones, aside from maybe Jannis Proudhilt who is apparently doing better than the fabled vet rewards, is worthless atm. It really stinks.
    Soara2 likes this.
  7. Soara2 Well-Known Member

There's another reason to go ahead and use that boost. Lol. If you are concerned about boosting the wrong class, you can try any class boosts free of charge on test server and keep in mind that there has been a boost every year for a while now, although, they do tend to change things.
    TeneBrie and Breanna like this.
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

THE PANDA QUESTS CAN BE DONE BY ANY LEVEL !!!!!
    You will not get any gear items to buy before level 100 .
    I was under the impression that TeneBrie did not want to rush to end game so mothelm has the right idea .
    You can join a progression Guild , or a guild like mothelm's
    Progression guilds lock themselves to a level and will not go on till they cleared that level ( mostly for raids )
    Soara's idea for trying out classes is also good .
    The Public Test Server is a special server where small new condense is tested to help us out , because like on regular servers we have to level up from level 1 we get free level 110 baubles for each character .
    But joining a guild that matches your play style is a good idea .

Another option is to make another toon on a TLE server ( Kaladim ) we are locked to level 80 right now and we don't have to worry about any crazy stuff like mercenaries infusions and training our mounts or leveling up our familiars .
    The whole server is back to a simpler time .
    TLE servers are not permanent and a new one comes out around every 3 years give or take , so this one has no more than one other year left , before a new one will open up and the population will move on .
    TeneBrie, Soara2 and Breanna like this.