New Player Looking For Advice

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Fenindar, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Fenindar New Member

I have just recently started playing EQ2 and wanted to get some advice.

I am going to be spending most of my time playing solo, I know there is not a "best" class to solo with but I am sure there are ones that are easier for the more relaxed gamer.

I would really like to pick a Mage class and was wondering if someone could tell me which of them are better and which maybe I should shy away from. Also are there better starting cities then others as far as quests go? Because I know that is the case in many other games. Finally what are good Merc's to use with Mage classes. Plate Healers or Tanks I would imagine??

Thank A Lot In Advance.
  2. Nynaeve Active Member

there's people who "solo" and people who "SOLO". I mean, you can solo with every class, but if you want to solo eg. Raid content below your level with a merc, you should pick a tank with dps - eg. Monk, Bruiser, SK, Zerker and get a healer merc.
    Reason: ALL the tank-mercs begin to cower when they are surrounded by too many strong mobs which often results in your death (unless you can dps away some of these guys before the tank-merc dies).

If you really want to play a mage, you could choose a Necromancer or Conjuror, since you could use your tank-pet as a backup. Plate-Healers might also get the job done, although not as easy as tanks.
  3. Nynaeve Active Member

there's only one good merc for solo mages: the SK (other tanks may do the job also). you keep him until you're 92, then you want to switch to a Plate healer (I got the Werewolf Templar) because I haven't seen any tank-merc that can keep aggro for longer than 2 seconds after Lv 92, so you might as well take a healer and tank yourself. It works.
  4. mague Active Member

You mean large groups of epic mobs ? Because i did Ykesha stronghold twice this weekend for signature and stuff and it was pure joy to be a human warden with a pally merc. No problem at all. And in Anchor of Bazuul he even rezzed me once in combat :) Was my fault that i died. Not his. he also uses Amends on me :)

Otherwise i agree. If someone joins EQ2 this late and wants to see all the stories, zones and rewards he either goes healer or a crusader or brawler. Maybe beastmaster.. i dont know the class very well.

Personally i feel better when controling the heals. As warden i have thorns and the spell from bloodline chronicles. Both turn the tank merc into a mob magnet.
  5. Fenindar New Member

Thank you guys very much for you advice. Mague I had a question about you saying healer or crusader or brawler. I know you play a warden, but would a Inquisitor be a good healer soloing character as well??
  6. SentinelBasch Active Member

For what it's worth, I really enjoy soloing with my Paladin. I can beat an on-level Heroic mob with 3 "up arrows" by myself without a merc or pet. The only real issue he has with staying alive is running out of power, which has happened to me on more than one occasion, resulting in his inevitable demise.

This is the most fun I've ever had in an MMO with a melee/healer hybrid. In particular, he has really nice AoE, another thing usually reserved strictly for pure fighter types in other games I've played. He can also wear the heaviest armor and his healing is very nice. My only real complaint is his power issues, which I'm hoping will be remedied later in the game.
  7. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

I'll put in my two cents' worth here: Inquisitor is a great soloing class. Rather than an exhaustive review here, check out my previous posts on the subject; I have posted several recently. And for what it's worth, I rolled a Paladin at launch and she's a workhorse soloer also (and more aoes).
    Kalderon likes this.
  8. mague Active Member

Yes. A very solid soloer. I am just warden because the class quest for shaman was to hard in 2005 :p My 2nd love is the defiler though. But for other reasons then soloing. All healers solo well. Those with high dps just faster.
    Kalderon likes this.
  9. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Sometimes, if solo with healer, it is a good idea to bring something to eat and drink close to you´re computer, cause it can take a while, till the mob gets so bored and fall asleep :p (j/k a bit)
  10. Sini Member

For a solo mage I would also suggest a summoner; both Neco and Conjy can do well, but Necro may have a slight edge due to healing. I don't play these classes (well I have an 80ish necro but that doesnt really count) but have seen them both played effectively. But I would also agree that for any content which is intended to be solo content, any class can do well enough with a merc. The only thing I know of that still gives some classes more trouble than others is the HM Wurmbone Advanced Solo. But that is "hard mode" and is meant to be hard.

I also wanted to comment on the merc tank issue and holding agro in the 90s. The Paladin merc can hold agro if you get him to put ammends on the right character. The only issue is this works well for all the dps classes except the summoners and beastlord. The problem is that their dps output is split between the character and the pet so amends only transfers half of the hate that it would on another dps class character. But the point I wanted to make is that the Pally merc can be used as a tank if it is used carefully.

My personal suggestions for a solo-focused toon would be a Paladin or a Mystic, followed by a Brusier or an Inquisitor. But that's based almost entirely on personal preference (and that I know first-hand that these classes can SOLO, as Nynaeve put it lol - though I think a lot of that high-end soloing has as much to do with the player as it does the class).
  11. mague Active Member

No j/k needed :D. My high score is some 40 mins in one fight.

I am used to it. Waaaay back, when the warden was still a caster me and my guild did Mark of Manaar and we went each into the solo instance. All my guildies have been done and logged off while i was still "burning" the 2nd wave :D

Thanks to Tunare, we now got DPS prestige and sandstorm ;)
    Kalderon likes this.