New Player-ish... looking to get started

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Saints, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Meneltel Well-Known Member

1 Both, at least to me on live, not sure about FG server
    2 Not sure
    3 Not sure
    4 Yes, it does, You become a Mentor to them. You drop to their level but your gear is better than theirs, and you have more health and they get an exp bonus for grouping/leveling with you. Its great, but does make things almost trivial for them as you will slaughter most things easily.
    5 I presume it will be like live but a new TLE server will be started by then.
  2. Carynn Well-Known Member

Yes, RoK. The evil side's golden path start. It should have dumped you to Butcherblock Mountains at 20.

On TLE, depending on your goal. If it is to level to the end cap, grinding dungeons gives the best xp. If you are soloing/meandering about and want to get into the lore/stories, questing is the way to go. TLE is 30% xp of live's 100%, and vitality bonus lasts 30 minutes. They make it so you want to by xp potions off the marketplace if you want to do anything other than take the lazy route.

You will earn the first 50 AAs by sneezing. They come really, really fast, with huge chunks earned by discovering areas within a zone or turning in collections. With EoF, another 100 AAs come out (total 150) and I don't know how fast that is yet because EoF isn't out yet. :p

That said, you can turn off your adventure experience at any time and then your xp will be diverted to AA. So if you get to level 10, you can level lock if you want to do all the quests in the zone. But really, since quest xp is so low, it's unlikely that you'll outlevel any zone before completing it. Usually you have to do multiple zones to reach the next benchmark.

Hm. Dunno. Might be EoF or Kunark. But since level locking thwarts the problem, as well, it's not that big of a thing. It's not like it's locked at 50 like FTP on live.

Yes, as Meneltel said, you can "mentor down" to your friend's level, giving them a piddly bonus to their xp and losing most of your xp gain (it's usually 5% bonus to them, -95% to you, depending on how far apart you are in levels). A 70 mentoring down to a 15 makes things super easy, as the 70 still maintains their spells with not a lot of a decrease in power, so you go Boom! All things dead. Works great for tanks mentoring down.

It will merge with live, like the old TLE, Stormhold, is supposed to do. You'll get a transfer token to any live server you want. Will probably take place at the end of 2018/early 2019.

I still ask questions all the time, and also don't know half of what the things do on live effectively. I'm better at the TLE since that's where I've been playing since it Fallen Gate came out.
    Saints likes this.
  3. Rigs New Member

Thanks for the information, I'm in the same boat! Much appreciated!
    Saints and Carynn like this.
  4. feliwbro New Member

Just started last night in Fallen Gate since i wish to experience the game as it evolves, must say the game is overwhelming when you start specially if you come from games like wow where you get told where to go to get quests or complete them, i found myself walking around the city looking for a quest giver for a lot of time, but when i found one it felt good, now i am finding more quests on the go, is a rewarding experience when things are not spoon feeded to you.

i am rolling a Barbarian Inquisitor as it remembers me some warhammer characters, big religious guys
    Saints likes this.
  5. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Feliwbro, if you have questions, just ask. Someone here (including me) are always willing to show off their ignorance! :)
    Carynn and ConcealFate like this.
  6. Carynn Well-Known Member

Welcome! And as Meneltel said, ask and answers ye shall receive. Whether they are the correct answers, that depends!

The best thing about this game is and always has been the stories/lore. You have to put up with the "kill x number of things" bit to get it.
    Saints likes this.
  7. feliwbro New Member

Thank you Meneltel and Carynn, last night i reached lvl 6 doing the bog quests, now i got lot of skills and do not have space to slot them, is there a way to get a bigger action bar?
  8. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I believe that if you right click on a slot on the action bar, you are given the option to make a new one. I think you can have 10 total visible with the option to roll between them. You may need to unlock them to move them around and place them with your mouse. I set mine up so long ago that I don't really remember how I did that (years ago) but there are ways to move them and resize them and everything.
    Saints likes this.
  9. Saints Member

Greetings everyone that provided feedback and influenced me to jump in-

I started playing on both Live and TLE, and truly, having the best time ever!! What really makes the EQ2 experience for me are all the different systems the game has - Lore discovery quest that empowers an ability so I can strike fools for massive damage, Mentor System, skill systems like getting better at swimming (which I've read increases underwater breathing), Goblin Gambling, Create A Dungeon, different furniture items and trophies for questing in different zones, and then I walked up to some gypsy at a fair in Darklight Woods and she robbed me and gave me some 'fortune' about eating pie.. WHAT! This is AWESOME.

Perhaps its a bit soon to tell but I'm a bit curious now the difference between Live and TLE. I know that it is dialed back a bit because of expansions, so because of this - no mercenaries, and other features may just not be in the game yet. Fast travel is a bit game breaking, and I always flip flop on the love/hate for this cause I love experiencing the environments and feeling the scale of the world so often I just don't use it.

What I'm really curious about with this difference is the core gameplay. Over the years other MMOs I've played (and it's easiest to identify with WoW since so many people have played it), have transitioned to a more single-player experience in the world. Leveling nerfs, removal of elite/dangerous monsters, xp buffs, the journey... just doesn't exist. The game is a simple race to level cap to play the game. With both Live & TLE, the game feels similar enough that I'm curious what the main differences are? I understand more players will be working their way up so it makes grouping easier, but fantastically enough, a couple of newb-eq2 friends have already joined me and with the mentor, chrono mentor, and experience sliders/disable options we can experience everything together.

Thanks again for all the feedback and help - I know the love of playing a favorite game for the very first time and wishing you could experience it all again, so thank you so much for opening the door to these experiences for my first time!
  10. Meneltel Well-Known Member

TLE is limited on what expansions are active so you don't get the full choices of abilities or potential of your character on Live. For example, TLE doesn't have AA slider (I think), you just earn AA exp as you go but with Live, you can adjust your slider to decide how much exp does go to AA, from 0% to 100%. (Just know that if you are F2P on Live, you cant move it, its stuck at 50% but if you are on TLE you have to be a member in the first place to create a character there). Now some of the stuff on Live only comes into play as you get higher levels, but I'm sure there is other stuff that Live gets that TLE doesn't even if you were the same level. (Perhaps newer lower level spells made available by the later expansions, as well as new instances or zones).

Hope I have confused you enough *grins*
    Saints likes this.
  11. Saints Member

No confusion yet! I have All Access and loving the slider, I'm locked at level 17 now just going through early zones, banking AA, but mostly - just seeing the world. I'm super enjoying the Live server and may just stay here.

So as far as the actual base game is concerned, it is essentially the same? (No massive changes to stronger world mobs, nerfs to quest, boost to base xp gains,etc)?
  12. Carynn Well-Known Member

Right click on hotbar. Select Open New Hotbar. You can have ten hotbars total with the in game UI. Most of us will have ten and want more as the game increases levels/AAs/Spells.

Once you have your hotbar open, you right click and select Hotbar Settings. This is what allows you to drag icons, stop icons from dragging, turn on and off the arrows, etc.
  13. Carynn Well-Known Member

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that TLE xp is 30% of Live's 100%, that is the biggest difference. Second, AA slider doesn't move yet, but not a big deal as you can level lock and your xp will go to AA. There are also less AAs available to you to get; only the first two tabs will be open as of next week and, even then, not all the rows. Third, the lack of mercs means that a group is needed for tougher content on TLE at or around level, i.e. Live is easier than TLE. Fourth, there are more people at all levels currently available on TLE to group with and on Live it's end-game only. Fifth, you can't fly or glide on TLE. Sixth, you can't reforge. Seventh, you can't use veteran rewards and there is no loyalty tokens. Eighth (and importantly) there isn't a huge mudflation of plat on the broker; things are in relatively normal costs. Lastly, fast travel and guild halls are not available. You need to visit port housing or do half the Maid in the Mist quest to easily get from the main cities to the other zones.

Holidays are currently unavailable on TLE, but we do get truncated holiday vendors. Not really a gameplay thing, more of a fluff thing.

Otherwise, gameplay is the same. Spells/CAs have the same oomph, or lack thereof, as live. Melee damage is borked. Gear is combed over by Fyreflyte to try and make it viable (if you see something wonky, shoot him a forum post or discord tell). Raid zones are either too easy, too hard, or broken. Flavor of the month classes change with each expansion. Quests remain entertaining and/or agonizing. You either love the game or you hate it. :p
    Saints likes this.
  14. Saints Member

PERFECT!

I should have scrolled up, you totally mentioned some of that before! Thank you for elaborating further!
  15. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I was typing a response and power went out... for hours... but you have responses so okay, good. One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I was typing about was that some classes are a bit odd and different. For example, Rangers were originally Scouts up to 10 I think, then Predators to 20 and then became Rangers. Which is why if you play a ranger now, you only get one bow attack for many levels but lots of melee attacks that once you really start getting bow attacks you wont use the melee ones if ever. Most classes have that still in their leveling and lower spells or abilities so just know that, for example, how a ranger is at 15 is not how they will be many levels later. So don't really judge a class until about level 40 or so, at that point you get the base spells you will use later in life, just mainly get more powerful versions and a few new special ones.

Hope this helps.
    Saints likes this.
  16. Saints Member

As obvious as this may seem to an MMO vet, I'm really glad you brought this up! I forgot about the branching off from classes (I still have my original EQ2 instruction book & box, the one that came with the info about pizza hut, and it's in there!). There is a way to test a level 95 (i think?) character, maybe worth giving that a shot first!

It helps! Thank you!
  17. Meneltel Well-Known Member

That was one of the things that struck me odd, but my first toon was a SK (played one in EQ with a friend who had moved to EQ2 when it came out). So that wasn't a problem. But when I first made a ranger (for more dps if we needed it), I noticed it and inquired about it and it was explained to me. I have noticed that it doesn't get mentioned much so I wanted to warn you and others that how your new toon at 15 isn't how it may be at 50. Its not that way for Rangers though it is for assassins, for example.
    Saints likes this.
  18. Carynn Well-Known Member

Free level 95 trial heroics ftw... except you get a huge number of spells and AAs that can make new players' eyes cross. Luckily, content goes so fast on live, you can level to the 40s within a weekend day in a dungeon if you want, with a merc. I tend to tell people to play any new toon until 40 and by then you'll be able to tell if you really like it or not. I have one of every class and I play, like, three of them on live. The others are oddly boring! It's all a matter of what makes you go Whee when you play.
    Saints likes this.
  19. feliwbro New Member

Hello me again asking stuffs, i saw somewhere you can build your AA to become a melee inquisitor how i do that?
  20. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

I've played a melee inquisitor for many years now. Go to https://u.eq2wire.com/soe/aas/2581277745207 and have a look at my AA build. You can download it too if you know how to add it to the proper place in your game files.