New player - Few questions

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Iseley, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Iseley New Member

Hi everyone. Pretty much entirely new to the game. Only played for two months when the game was first released and got a Guardian? to 30 as my highest class. I decided to come back now and check out the game again when I found out there are Beastlords now! They were my favorite class in EQ and I played mine for about 5 1/2 years, so naturally when I found out this one has them I was excited.

Which race would make a good fit for a Beastlord? I know, I know. The character creation will say which races make great scouts, but I found it to be kind of funny that Dark Elves would make good scouts and I'm almost considering it for the awkwardness anyway. Are they a good solo class like they are in EQ? I don't typically like playing alone in an MMO, but I know I'm so far behind that I'll be spending most of my days and nights just playing catch up and enjoying the world.

How easy is it to get into this game? I've already bought 12 months of play time and the expansion to play my new Beastlord, so I'll be playing regardless, but I know I'm going to be going into this with less enthusiasm if the market is inflated and makes playing difficult. Hmm, I think I covered my questions. Thanks for reading!
  2. crazyeyes321 Active Member

A bit late, but nobody replied to you. Classes in eq2 are pretty much unimportant for any class setup. We are talking in terms very small stat increases that gear/buffs more than make up for. Today, many people pick a class for either the way it looks, or for the special perks that it brings in terms of track/lockpicking(not all races have this).

Beastlords here are nothing like beastlords in eq1, as you probably have noticed by now. Beastlords here are scouts that dont use poison and dont disarm traps. They get about 6 or so attacks for they themselves, and most of the abilities they use are tied to the pet procing an advantage. Each class of pet has its own set of abilities, and the class requires a good bit of mob grinding to make each pet work at its peak level. Either way, its nothing like the monk/shaman hybrid in eq1.

The starting race just determines what warder you get at level 1. Pick one you like in terms of appearance, or something like a gnome/ratonga for the innate racial pick lock to make up for your being a scout without said ability. Either way, have fun, a lot has been added since the first 3 months or so since launch.
  3. Moldylocks Member

Crazy pretty much covered most of what you were asking about. It really is a fundamentally different game from when it launched, as the years have brought many changes. I played at launch then took a vacation (crafting sub-combines made me want to stick forks in my eyes), but have generally been playing for ~7 years. Its a great game, and you have a lot to explore and discover.

Regarding economy. I would personally suggest Freeport as a server for a more balanced supply of goods and prices. Why? The population is high and spread out across all the tiers, with active players filling up the lower and mid levels. Older servers, like AB, may have a high population as well, but you will find that the focus is on the top tier. So, on servers like that, you will find a lack of items on the broker pre-90 compared to Freeport where the broker is packed with a full range of items across all the levels.

Prices are going to be high for non-treasured gear and spells/combat arts, but that is a reflection of the game's age and plat being quite easy to gain. Allow that system to work for you. Gather collectables, sell what you don't need, and perhaps take up a craft to make your own stuff and sell on the broker. Really, though, you won't find money to be an issue, nor gearing as you level as quest rewards for gear will outfit you as you level up. The rewards now compared to launch are quite good. The only thing you will have to really be attentive to is updating your combat arts, but you can easily make your own as you level up or simply buy them.

Have fun on your adventures and welcome back!
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

Both of these posters have quite aptly covered many aspects of the game. Low level shinies can still sell well for easy money. Freeport has the largest free to play player base and most other servers do have very aged players on them who many are willing to help from time to time. I have been known to just join a low level player in whatever they want for an hour when I get restless :).

You said you had a 30 Guardian. I happen to main a Guard if you want any points on the class message me and I can give you some info. They are difficult at times but quite rewarding. If you can afford MasterCrafted armor as it was updated its about the best you can get. Reactant armor will possibly be more expensive but it is better. Though for the most part quests give good enough rewards to avoid having to break your bank to gear up.

Hope you enjoy your return to Norrath!