New Player Experience (Tried getting access to all)

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Lyns, Nov 12, 2012.

1. MiKe New Member

I am a new player, and I made it this way.

1. Testing as f2p
    2. Bought 2500 Coins for 21 Euro.
    3. Bought Silver. -> 500 coins.
    4. Bought Race that I wanted to play: Dwarf in package with elves and something else. -> 750 coins
    5. Bought class I wanted to play: Monk -> 750 coins.

So far, the money for 1 month subscription, Rest 500 coins.

I really don't like subscriptions, because I feel forced to play the games.

I think, this will last more than 1 month, untill I get the need for any expansion. Maybe I don't need any of these expansions. The future will tell. AoD sounds useful for a singleplayer and dungeonmaster like me.

Btw. I play more than one MMO. I don't know, which one I play tomorow. F2P with silver membership, premium in DDO, is a great way for players like me. In DDO I invested fore than 100 Euro over the time. Maybe I do the same here, if the time I play this game is as long as I plaz in DDO. I mainly buy questpacks for a reasonable price.

Next thing I play is SWTOR as f2p. I tried it for 3 months with a gamekey and timecard. For under 30 Euro.SWTOR is great for a singleplayer, who does not like and need any Endcontent.
  2. Magius New Member

My wife and i recently came back to game after 2 year absence and before i started anything i called SOE customer service to confirm that if we bought DOV and AOd we would get 30 free days. according to SOE CS, if you have an account prior to purchasing the Xpacs, you WILL not recieve 30 free days. does not matter if that account is FTP. the only way to get 30 free days is to buy XPACS, THEN set up account.
  3. Cephas New Member

I am a returning player with my wife after 5 years. We started off with F2P messed around a bit with our old characters and decided that we were having enough fun to justify a gold subscription to unlock the classes/races/character slots (i actually went with the all access pass so i can play PS2 in a few days).

After playing for a week and getting some of our friends to come play with us I was going to buy the COE expansion just to catch myself up to all the content updates. Found out that DOA wasn't included in COE said F that. I think everything was pretty clearly presented *EXCEPT* that DOA was not grandfathered into COE. I had to do a lot more research than I should have to learn that it was not.

I think the SOE is shooting themselves in the foot by not bundling DOA into COE. I can justify paying $50-60 bucks for a game I enjoy but I cannot justify spending close to $100 for a game that's 8 years old. Had they included DOA they would have had 3 more COE purchases, but because of their silly marketing they are getting nothing except for the gold sub.
  4. Natsume Member

Welcome back all! :D

To the OP, SOE has one of the best customer service, if you send a ticket carefully explaining the situation I am sure they will refund something :)
  5. Kindle Heartforge Active Member

I recently 'came back' after a two year break. I really feel the need to chime in here....

SOE's website for new or returning players is quite ambiguous when it comes to expansions and how that translates to 'buy this' and 'this is included/not included' when you purchase.

The most recent expansion I had paid for was Shadow Odyssey. When I made the decision to come back, it was about three weeks prior to CoE launch. I figured, great! I will just F2P until CoE launches and save some cash.

I was in-game and chatting with some folks. I came to learn that AoD is not considered an expansion of content, but rather an expansion of features - and therefore would not be included with CoE.

I called SOE Customer Support and confirmed that, no, AoD is not included with CoE. Not a huge deal. $40 is pocket change. But I couldn't shake the feeling that SOE doesn't want people to understand precisely just what constitutes an "expansion" until they have already made their purchase.

The confusion swirling around new and returning players when sifting through information pertaining to F2P vs. subscription, and expansion vs. featureset simply shouldn't exist. SOE needs to make a more conscious effort to make these distinctions clear to the player. It fosters trust and, ultimately, higher per-player spending.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

I agree they should designate AOD everywhere on their site as a feature pack rather than an expansion just for clarity if they are going to be treating it as something different. I also think that it really should drop in price now that it's been nearly a year since it's release.

As a new/returning player you completely missed the huge stink that was AOD release etc. SOE got so much flack for calling something that just added features an expansion it wasn't even funny. SOE had shortly before AOD announced they were going to be adding content free & have expansions BE feature packs, but due to the huge angry uproar about this, that decision was apparently reversed & they've returned to traditional content expansions.

The subscription matrix thing is pretty clear on what you get for which tier of membership (except for one mistake I've seen that I personally reported a few days ago).