New Player Crafting....?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Ghizz, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Ghizz New Member

Hi, I'm an outfitter, wanting to become an armorer.

I'm totally new to the game and don't really understand how crafting works. This has lead me to failing alot of crafts and losing so many materials...I'm trying to keep my crafting up with my adventuring level and so far...it hasn't been working. Level 21, and crafting at level 12...

is the crafting system really random or something? i'm losing durability left and right for no reason even though Im matching all the icons...I asked some other crafters and they said even without the icons popping, they still use the skills...and their rotation is 1,6,2 then 1,6,5 and then in between those, match the icons that come up...

(Sorry if i don't make sense) but if anyone could help me out and just give me a general guideline on crafting so I dont waste all my materials..? Thanks...
  2. crazyeyes321 Active Member

Low level crafting is harder than higher level crafting, mainly due to having inefficient craft skills.

At low level, it is probably better to focus more on durability, especially while you are learning the ropes of the system.
    For example, I believe the default layout is 123 are for durability, 456 is progress. At high levels, I pretty much always press 546, unless I am countering an event.

Your situation will probably be 213, or just 21 is you are low on power since the default 3 is a power hog if you dont have food/drink. Keep in mind, that you can push all those buttons during each cycle instead of just one, just be careful to not get your timing off and have a button press move into the very start of the next pulse cycle and incorrectly counter an event.
  3. Finora Well-Known Member

Things I think are helpful to crafters freshly starting out.

1) Read what each of your crafting skills to.

2) You can move the buttons to an order that you personally like. I did it a long long time ago, but I'm pretty sure I switched the order of the progress & durability things because that is what worked out better for me.

3) Don't be afraid of pushing buttons when there isn't an icon up. Successful crafting all but requires you push multiple buttons during each crafting round. There are many things that will absolutely fail if you don't.

Very basically if your durability (green bar) starts tanking, start pushing the +durability buttons. If you want your progress (blue bar) to go faster & your durability is good mash away at the +progress buttons. Pushing only the +durability pretty much guarentees a successful combine in most situations, but it will be slower than it will be if you mix in some +progress.

There are quests that help make the lower levels of crafting go much faster.

Eq2Trader's Corner covers all the crafting quests & many of the small details you might eventually want to know.

Good luck!

Fin--Prism's Resident crafting nut
  4. altsofalltrades New Member

It will begin to get much easier by level 18 you will have gotten 40 tradeskill AA points. at 12 you should already have 10 points and you get another every 20% ts xp.
  5. Sclerotia Member

Ill give you the best advice I can, Go to youtube and look up videos on crafting in eq2. They give GREAT examples as well as what to look for/listen for and what to push. The ones on doing rush jobs give all kinds of great shortcuts and helpful hints.

In a nutshell (based on default configuration) The first three buttons (1,2,3) control the green line and the second three (4,5,6) control the blue line. Green can have over 100% and you can push them for a few seconds after the stats change. There is a sound that goes with it but it will depend on the crafting table. So, when you hear the sound for your crafting table give it a sec to see if it tosses up something to counter. Then hit your numbers. You can use three during any round as they are linked (1-4, 2-5, 3-6)

As for harder at low levels, I dont think so. I just took a toon from 1 to 20 in under 2 hours and not once did I fail at making the item.
  6. Ivory Member

Hopefully this information has helped you get past the low levels. Make sure you go to New Halas and run the crafting quests. They should give you enough crafting experience to easily reach level 20 from your current level. The quest giver is different depending on if you are good or evil aligned. Good - upper left side of the city map. Evil - just south of town in the building on the left. Sorry can't remember their names and my work has most websites with that info blocked.
  7. flameweaver Well-Known Member