New player - couple questions

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Tankline, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Tankline New Member

I have been considering trying out EQ2 again. I played back when it originally launched, however long ago that was. Made it to level 30 as a Guardian or something like that. Basically I have forgotten 99% of the game, so I'm pretty much a new player again.

I was considering trying the new progression server that I recently heard about. I play EQ1 on one of the progression servers, so it was interesting to me to maybe try out EQ2 again without being too far behind in... everything.

I was hoping to play a tank class again. I'll assume they are... lacking in solo abilities. That being said, which class would be good to start with, considering I have nothing. I was considering an SK since I enjoy that class in EQ1, but was wondering if it would lend itself to some quick "get on and do a few quests or slay stuff" in small sessions. Don't have the hours to throw at the game on a regular basis, so was hoping to be somewhat self sufficient if I didn't have time for grouping.

Also, any pointers or ideas for a new player would be appreciated. I have very vague memories from back in the day, and I'm sure the game has changed dramatically since I last played around.
  2. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I think both Paladins and SKs make great solo characters, particularly SKs. They have reasonably high DPS for tanks, and can self-heal to some extent.

If you want to try a progression server, I would recommend Fallen Gate over Stormhold, as SH seems to have died. That said, in order to join a progression server you have to sub; you don't have to sub on a standard server in order to play. Soloing on the standard servers is also easier.

Whether you choose to sub and join a progression server, or choose to be free to play and join a standard server, I would definitely recommend joining a guild. Your guild mates will give you encouragement, help you out with advice and equipment (usually), and will give you people to chat with, which will keep things interesting. There are plenty of guilds that welcome the casual player, including those who are free-to-play.

Welcome back to Norrath! I hope you have a good time here. :)
  3. Tankline New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm already a sub, as that is required on EQ1 progression as well. Technically I'm still in norrath, just living in the past haha
  4. Fairin Active Member

roll troub - solos the best, and getting a group isn't all that hard.
  5. Lagerale Member

If you do FG, soloing is painfully slow. I started a SK and honestly his solo is ok, but compared to my Warden or Beastlord he's pretty sub par at it and MUCH more gear dependent.
  6. Carynn Well-Known Member

No matter what you decide, join an active guild. This will make anything you do more enjoyable.
    Juraiya likes this.