New player advice.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Jindail, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Jindail New Member

Hi there,

Hoping I can find some advice/guidance here as I have just started EQ2 for the first time, signed up for gold membership for a month. If anyone can provide information on a few of my questions then it is much appreciated.

Firstly leveling, I am currently level 20 human necromancer and just finishing up Darklight wood, is there any general guide/path I should follow or will following quests generally keep me on the right track when it comes to which places I should level?

Secondly does anyone know of any place for necromancer guide that is catered/useful for a completely new player?

Lastly any geeral advice/tips you could give to a new player of EQ2 would be much appreciated, I'm happy to take info where I can get it from anything about dungeons and the games features.

Thanks.
  2. OverDoze Member

first of all welcome to everquest 2
    your first question asks about a guide for quests and if you google on about something called the golden path for everquest 2 its a very well put together plan to get you started in the right direction for quests
    i dont have a necromancer guide for you but ill adress your 3rd question for advice. we all see nodes around norrath i suggest gathering them and doing your best to get materials for your expert spells to keep your mage strong with spells and gather rare roots for tailors to equip some nice master crafter robes and armor for lvl 22 theres a set every 10 lvls after thats next to legendary in quality. i also advise getting aod it allows you to create researched mastercrafted items when you find reactants and after researching and gives you a mercenary who can tank heal or dps.
    mages are awesome but simple to solo always root then nuke use your pets to tank and dps and remember your lifetap and bloodcloud spells are super important for a necromancer that lvl.
    welcome again and i hope some day i see you 0/
  3. Lizabethan Active Member

Evening! Welcome to EQ2. We're glad to have you on board. :)

OverDoze is absolutely correct in the "Golden Path". It's a set of quests meant to guide you through ideal zones as you level, starting here: http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/The_Golden_Path

In general, you can pick and choose which areas and dungeons you'd like to explore here, organized by level: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Zones_By_Level

General guidance can be found on those two websites, EQ2 Zam and EQ2 Wiki, for most everything. For Necromancers in specific, there's a website I'm thinking of that we're not allowed to mention on public forums, but if you ask your local chat I'm sure they'd direct you.

Good luck!
    Calthine likes this.
  4. Jindail New Member

Thanks for the welcome and replies both of you.

The "golden path" info has been helpful and thanks for the advice about gathering nodes.

Much appreciated.
  5. mouser Well-Known Member

Pick up all the 'shinies' you can (little question marks on the ground).
    You'll be floored at what some of them sell for on the broker.

Right now there's a set in New Halas that will give you a mailbox for your house (not the prettiest of the lot, but it's functional). 'Blue' question marks mean collections in regards to some festival. Get a house (or inn room) as soon as you can so you can set your marketboard up and start selling stuff.

Don't expect crafting to make you rich. On my server more often than not I can buy something for about half what I can sell the rare material used to make it with. My carpenter makes a little bit of money on some house items - mostly small 'basic' things like walls and flooring. Provisioners make small but steady cash since everyone needs food and drink. YMMW.

Get a mercenary - it's worth the trip no matter what your starting zone (you can always go back to where you were).
  6. CowControl Member

Run away, before is late!
  7. Arastart New Member

Heh, truer words......

Look for a guild for friends to play with, advice in-game and general "horse-play"!! I wouldn't be without a guild just for the company, especially if you have voice capability.
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

I'd have to disagree with this advice. In my opinion, you're better of NOT using a merc, unless you need one. Mercs cost money, take a share of the cash out of chests and cut your xp by a good chunk. They're great for stuff you can't do on your own, but if you can do it yourself, the rewards are significantly better if you do it without a merc.
  9. mouser Well-Known Member

Well, for one thing you need to buy AoD in order to use mercs, so it may be a moot point for the OP.

My experience has been that the money they 'cost' is negligible, especially at lower levels, cash from chests was never my main method of gaining money so halving it doesn't hurt very much, and the increase in kill speed more than makes up for the XP hit that you take.
  10. Mermut Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree :)