new mystic and strange aggro

Discussion in 'Mystic' started by ARCHIVED-Brigh, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

I don't know if this is normal but I have noticed two odd / annoying things when solo or grouped from Antonica/CL to SH/FG/RE.
    Solo and grouped I have found sometimes mobs will aggro on my pet that isn't doing anything (solo when running past mobs I see they target my pet sometimes). I also have mobs attack me when in groups without me having anything but group buffs up after a pull. They sometimes will come to beat on the dog while in a group while we just stand there with no spells being/have been cast beforehand.
  2. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

Brigh wrote:
  3. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

Banditman wrote:
  4. ARCHIVED-Starack Guest

It is probably one of three things and it probably has nothing to do with class. I seen it happen enough times while tanking (on three different tank classes) that I am forced to change target to some other random non engaged encounter nearby, for a long while I thought it was just some odd auto targeting bug that a dev put in to mess with those few people complaining about tanking being too dull or something, nothing to do with tab targeting or nearest hostile cycling am pretty sure its a profession ability/racial that is doing it. The other thing that is VERY common, lag, I seen flaky connections or machines managing to pull entire rooms of mobs through walls that they could not have possibly pulled if their machines were better or their connection was more stable, sometimes its server lag too. Such things are annoyance when they happen as they usually cause partial or total group wipes, at least they do in my experience as I like to pull every pull to near death experience as much as I can so over pulling an extra room or two just means wipe. Happens a lot with toons that get stuck on geometry and continue to run in one direction for four or five seconds. All of that may seem irrelevant to what you are talking about, but it probably is something similar, or they made a change to mobs to be a bit more hostile to pets, something proximity based, I seen pets that are outside of smuggle/invis while we stealth a group through an area only for the critters to see the pet, promptly smash it in, break group stealth usually in some very awkward spot and all hell breaks loose. Sometimes that includes god pets or the familiars. As a result just do the zones with kill em all attitude now, its not because people did something stupid to break stealth or a mob seeing a player directly.
  5. ARCHIVED-Ykiphia1 Guest

Is your dog set to defend you or itself? If so, what seems like random aggro is actually the dog defending you as instructed. I can't be certain, of course, but it sounds like that is the case, especially since you are having it happen in groups as well. My guess is that there is a leftover ward, a mob is aggroed, you would be the target but faithful dogdog defends you.
    Personally, I never, ever set my dog on defend. It creates more trouble than it is worth, imo. That being said, your tank needs to be cognizant of aggro dynamics. You should not be getting beat on, nor should your dog (unless you are using him to pull distant mobs).
    Oh, and unless your tank is a Shadow Knight chain pulling the zone, you ought to be able to have wards up before the pull, even with body pulling.
  6. ARCHIVED-Liandra Guest

I have noticed this quite often on my mystic. It is as if the dog has a sign on its back saying hit me.
    You can easily see it by setting dog in passive mode and body pulling a mob. 9 times out of 10 the mob will hit you maybe once or twice and then switch to the dog.
    Sometimes it is good and sometimes i hate it. Usually if I get an add in a fight if I dont switch to it and hit it a few times it will always start beating on dog dog.
  7. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

It is a mechanic of the dog I will have to say. I don't have on defend when I don't want it and mobs will target it instead of me (like my conj) as I run past them as I already said. If I don't do enough damage I have to work at it to get them to target me. It is very annoying when I don't want the dog to get hurt.
  8. ARCHIVED-Lark42 Guest

I have a couple of ideas on where this mysterious pet aggro could be coming from:
    A) Pet Equipment Effects Generate Hate: Equipment effects that apply to pets may actually generate aggro for the pet just by being applied. The passive regenerate ward provided by the effect "Granite Avatar" is an excellent example of just such an effect which may generate aggro by simply being "on the pet".
    B) Proc Buffs From Pet Linger After Fight: This source of aggro is something many Shamans are familiar with. For example:
    You start a fight-->Dogdog procs group Ward which lasts for some time-->Fight ends-->Tank pulls before Ward has dissipated--> Pet receives aggro for "warding" on the pull.
    C) Mysterious Aggro Faeries Like to Play Jokes on Pet Classes: One cannot ignore the possibility that there are faeries screwing with the hate generation mechanics, causing pets to get aggro on pulls. That is to say, there may be nuances to the hate generation mechanics with regards to pets that aren't apparent to players but are known to the developers. If there is some coding issue, only the critical eye of a developer will be able to identify the pet aggro issue.
    As an additional note: My fiance (Conjuror) and I (Mystic) have both noticed that pets will grab aggro before they are even sent in to attack. This includes incidences where the pets are NOT buffed with temp buffs that could generate aggro (i.e. you are doing the first pull in a zone and your dogdog hasn't had a chance to proc the group ward yet). As an example, while training mobs with my Monk (neither of us are combat locked), my fiance's pet will grab aggro for no reason whatsoever. This leads me to suspect that C) above may a real issue that should be reviewed by developers.
  9. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

Remember I said this is a 30s mystic set on passive, getting the M.Vick beat out of them by mobs as it ignores them. If I didn't step in they would kill it. I have run out of Kaladim before, while the stupid kobolds outside target the pet, do the snare blast they do, and beat it down, ignoring me.
  10. ARCHIVED-Felshades Guest

They do it to me too.
    Keep pet passive, try to do instances. Things still beeline for dog.
    Solo, training through things. They're not hitting me, they're hitting my passive dog.
    If you're using mastercrafted weapons, keep in mind if you have the imbue rather than the blessing, when it procs, it's going to drop your threat and make dog gain more hate. Found that out the hard way by not paying attention.
  11. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

12. ARCHIVED-Chronykj Guest

I have been leveling a mystic with a raf sk and have noticed this as well. It didn't used to happen but after about 65 it does now. It is very strange I can pull a bunch of mobs and drop all my aoes (except grave sacrament) and some mobs will stay on the dog nonstop even though it is passive. This morning I even HT'ed a named I was killing and it stayed on the dog from 100% until dead even though the dog never did anything the whole entire fight.
  13. ARCHIVED-xsikal Guest

Dusted off my mystic today and noticed this also. It never used to behave like this... waiting to send in the dog was usually all that was necessary. Now, even with the dog set to not defend itself or me, mobs will go after it, particularly if there are several on me, (as I won't maintain aggro on all of them). I hope this a bug, and can be fixed. It certainly never used to be like this (~8-10 months ago), and, given that my character has not changed at all in that time, I do not think it could be anything they are doing aa or spell wise.
  14. ARCHIVED-Tigress Guest

this has happened quite often with my defiler's doggie (the other shaman). when i was following my tradskill questlines in zones above my level & running past things, i had to dismiss the dog bc they would attack poor woofy, kill him in one or two shots and then i was next. it has also happened when i was in normal groups and he is not set on auto attack or defend. wasn't always like this.

its not a mystic thing, its a shaman thing! (might want to change the title in case the devs view it.) i believe that it is a bug.
  15. ARCHIVED-xsikal Guest

I've PM'd Rothgar about it... we'll see if there is any response. Good point in it being shaman-inclusive, and not just mystic specific. :)
  16. ARCHIVED-quakeroatmeal4 Guest

why does this bother you? just press circle of the ancients and move on.
  17. ARCHIVED-BALTO Guest

Should've seen the 'Mystic' only agro issue back in the days.
    You could have all buffs OFF, a mob(s) would run up to another player in group, and then HEAD straight for you!
    p.s. was never fixed till it was being used as a exploit, in training players thru higher teir zones. Mystic would wait at the zone line, mobs from ACROSS THE WHOLE ZONE would rush towards the mystic waiting at the zone line.
    no fix for over a years on that one.
    no sorry conjure pet, is not suffering same agro issue as shaman's pup.
  18. ARCHIVED-Greggthegrmreapr Guest

It has to do with the changes they made to our pets. From what I was told, they made our pets into a berzerker type NPC which causes mobs to automatically go for them or something like that. There is a thread I made here awhile ago (might have been when I was still a defiler) Will see if I can find it.
    It is vey annoying and I wish they would fix it.
    Edit: Here is that thread.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=491833
  19. ARCHIVED-xsikal Guest

I noticed this weekend (when I started a defiler), that my pet was no longer pulling aggro when not engaged. Obviously, this pet is unbuffed in comparison to my 60+ mystic, but I'm wondering if the issue actually has to do with the aas that let the dog give surrounding group members haste (i.e. bubble 2 in the shaman strength line)? My defiler pet does not have those aas, while my mystic pet does. Given that the buff is an 'always on (if in range)' sort of deal, I could see a bug amplifying the aggro this buff generates, and the pet would not even have to be engaged in combat itself for this to occur, (which at least matches what people are seeing). Can anyone verify this with their own shaman?
  20. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

Aura of Warding can, or at least it used to be able, to do something similar.
    Pet would proc Aura of Warding (which is counted as his "heal"). It would stay up for it's duration, and still be present when a mob hit someone and the mob would immediately bounce to the dog because the dog "healed" that person.