New Marketplace Items: Bovochs and Bristlebane!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Dexella, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malleria Well-Known Member

Congrats SOE. You took a holiday that is supposed to be about fun and ruined it for a lot of people. That's a great image to be putting out there.
  2. Katistrophic New Member

Sony has was again proven it is all about the almighty $$ and to heck with us the players. I too spent hours getting the warder and couldn't wait to get the mount today but even this for Sony is totally whacked. They have truly proven they don't care about anything but the big bucks. Maybe it's time I find a real life after all.
  3. Kattt Well-Known Member

I see deception, and gauging here. And yah, its only on one item, at the moment, but its like they said here, lets deceive you with a sale, but then double the cost on the item so you are not really getting the sale. It's phony to me, and deceptive. I agree with above poster, it does feel like for a time now, they feel nothing but contempt for players. My last post I tried to be balanced and fair and mild mannered about this. But, I cannot speak for anyone else, I feel pushed too far. Its not just this one item. Its the way things have gone for awhile. This weekend was going nice, the efforts were great, they had smoothed over some previous mistakes. But now, it feels like they have smoothed only in prep for a final stab in the back.

Want something for free? NO, I pay a sub, and have standards for that sub, as well as for the many things SC I have bought. I have paid my money's worth for this game, and you're darn right I am going to tell them what I expect for that money I lay out. They push the standards down, whilst pushing envelope of what they can get away with. SJ, what in the world are you doing to us here? Long term players are good to this game, and to you and your job (as well as many others), so why would you do such a thing? Well, speaking of speaking with money, I will be. This was my last SC purchase until I see a definite change. And I will not pay that rip off price for that mount. You pretty much just cut off your nose to spite your face. I have heard many people say they would've bought more at normal price.
    And if this trend keeps, I don't care how many mmo's they think are doing the same, or ARE doing the same, I will just drop sub. I will just do what I can for free, and enjoy company of friends as my entertainment, and might even move on to something I feel is worth the money I spend.

You just pushed my patience too far, and the sc spending stops here, with me. I will spend what I have, and that's it. If all these posts don't speak, money will.
    Taysa, Belissa, Xsara and 5 others like this.
  4. Tesshin Member

I quit my previous MMORPG because it became apparent that it was a PAY to win game, and would stay that way for the foreseeable future (interestingly, the company behind it is now facing financial difficulties).

It's a good joke, Sony. I would never have expected something like this from a multinational corporation like yours.

It doesn't matter if we got our SC through double or triple SC day. The point is, 5,000 SC is 5,000SC.

Now if that pink meatbeast mount had OP stats or came bundled with ALL the Bristlebane Day items, the pricing will seem a lot more reasonable. As it is, it is just an appearance item to me because of how common its stats are, and how it is nothing more than a ground mount. But FYI, making it a flying mount will not justify the price tag even, seeing how the most expensive flying mount is still UNDER 2k SC.

Thanks for taking the fun out of Bristlebane Day, Sony. At least the other websites around the Internet gave me a good laugh. This joke just left a bitter taste in my mouth.
  5. Mae- Well-Known Member

The only way this mount would be worth $50 is if it was account wide and all my toons could have their own.
  6. Lostmymind New Member

I just called, and told SOE what I think of their ruining what was supposed to be a fun holiday with their greed.
  7. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

It's not so much that you paid for a pink meatbeast mount that bothers people. (Wow, that sounds dirty... pink meatbeast mount.) It's the price that people take issue with, Some are better at expressing this dismay than others. Whether you have taken advantage of double or triple SC days or not, 5,000 station cash is nearly three times more than any other ground mount on the Marketplace (four times higher than most ground mounts) and much too high, even for a one-day only mount. The problem comes in that it is difficult to tell SOE that the PRICE of the mount is stupid when people are still willing to buy it for that price.

If people continue to be willing to pay high prices for things, then SOE will continue to charge high prices.

----

EDIT: And apparently, her post was so offensive that it was removed from the thread? While I agree that her outburst was uncalled for, now my post looks a little odd without the person whose post I was referring to. *blush*
  8. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Especially too high for a mount they made sure to tell us about in advance so people would get extra SC to be able to buy it on the one day it was available. And then spring this price on us so when we realize the extra SC be bought to get the berry-fed bovoch isn't ENOUGH extra SC, we have to either do without or pay more SC at full price to buy it.

And to the whole Walmart/Double SC argument, If they had charged a typical mount cost of 1950SC for it, and you'd bought an SC card from Walmart and redeemed it during the Double SC, you would've paid $7.31 for it. To me, that says we're being fleeced.
  9. Indabuff Active Member

I buy a lot of items via SC, but this is one I will not for the principal of it. 50 bucks for a virtual item is beyond too much.
    I already think too much of the game is being sold in the cash shop at this point, and if this begins a new trend of high
    price limited items then I see myself spending less overall.

I have said it before every time you do something like this and upset people you only succeed in souring the milk a bit
    more. The end result will only be weaning people off the game. I love this game, but this kind of thing always pushes me
    away a bit more.
  10. Tesshin Member

That fact that anyone, even just one single person who purchases this mount willingly, is sending this message to SOE:

"Hey, it's okay to price a one-day special item at 50k, give us a 90% discount and make it just 5k! We will still pay for a mount that was 'originally' supposed to cost US$500 but is now a wonderful bargain of US$50!"

Simply put, this is an April Fool's joke gone terribly wrong.
  11. Torryn Woodsrunner Active Member

Those have already been brought up numerous times, and continue to be brought up elsewhere. The issue of today is the pink meatbeast mount, and how the promotion and marketing has been (mis)handled.

One of the overall points that's trying to be made, by those of us with a some professionalism and general common sense is that there should be no 'right time' to buy Station Cash. 'Better' times? Sure. But Station Cash should be a worthwhile purchase at -any- time. And that's just not happening.

Here's the facts: 5000 Station Cash costs $50 under normal buying conditions. Period. Ignore Double Station Cash, Triple Station Cash, those are promotions, loss leaders, smokescreens, whatever you want to call it. Our 500 SC/month stipend? We're paying for it. Those 5 packs of LoN cards? Irrelevant, they're not tradable for anything, and we're paying for those too. It's called our subscription.

A -smart- person doesn't fall for shady promotions, loss leaders, or smokescreens. And they realize that they're getting -nothing- in this game for free if they're paying a subscription, or paying for Station Cash. Basic addition and subtraction? We've all done it. Temper that addition and subtraction to some Business 101 textbooks that talk about shady business practices like price fixing and bait & switch marketing.

The down and dirty fact is that you DID spend $50 on that pretty pink meatbeast. You justify the purchase by telling yourself it only cost you $18.75, then pat yourself on the back for your being 'smart'. YOU DID SPEND $50. It just didn't all come out of -your- pocket. And by continuing that mindset that it didn't 'cost' what it cost(which is exactly what SOE wants), you perpetuate and exacerbate the problem. It's like those stupid 'instant rebate' checks you get from car lots. That are only good ON that lot. You're not 'saving' $2500 on that new car. You're falling for a marketing gimmick from the people that RUN the market.

I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that the numbers being reported back to the HMFIC (look it up) don't mention how much of that Station Cash came from DSC or TSC promotions. They're reporting one thing: SALES. And sales guys only see one sign...DOLLAR signs. Your mindset means they can report higher sales numbers, which means they can justify higher SC prices overall, which, again, perpetuates and exacerbates the problem.

I will also point out that I am the one who suggested that whomever it was that thought up this hair-brained marketing scheme be beaten about the head and shoulders...with a TROUT. It was HUMOR, see...because there's a quest reward that's a trout...that you can beat people with. All Hail Discordia! (Another joke, look it up)

I never personally advocated beating purchasers, with either a trout or a mallet. But I read the post, and I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be humor as well.

I don't recall calling anyone who spent the $50 'stupid'...I'd have probably gone with 'ignorant'...mainly because most people don't care about shady business practices as long as they -think- they're getting a bargain...so they don't know any better.

Now if someone knows better, and does it anyway? -Then- they're stupid. Ignorance can be fixed through education. But as Ron White says: "You can't fix stupid."
    Lodrelhai, Psia_Meese and Sapphirius like this.
  12. Lonsen Member

I happen to have an answer to this, a defense I saw posted by an SOE employee on Facebook and then taken down about 20 minutes later. If I'd have had more foresight, I would have screenshotted that post.

The claim was that the cost of the pink bovich wasn't a simple, greedy cash grab. The claim was that this was intended to keep the item rare.
  13. Taemisa Active Member

If their sole reason was to keep the item rare then they botched it big time. All they would have had to do was announce the fact that it would cost 5k SC ahead of time. People would still be annoyed, yes but I don't believe there would be the same level of outright anger that they are seeing now.

People are outraged because they feel that Sony flipped us the bird. Sony raised expectations, created excitement with their advertising that this was going to go on sale on April 1 and made absolutely no mention of any intention to make this a rare item. Then they had double SC which ended the day before the pink bovoch went on sale. Honestly Sony couldn't have handled this any worse than if they deliberately intended to insult us.

They need to own up to their mishandling of this.
  14. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Which could've been done by NOT announcing it in advance, or having a purchase limit of 1-2 per acct, or, I don't know, SELLING IT FOR ONLY ONE DAY.

Instead by announcing it in advance they built anticipation for it, they made a ton of money on their double SC sale from people stocking up in preparation for this specific item, and they proved that people will pay outrageous prices for items of no discernible value increase.

Because there is no actual value increase in making the bovoch pink vs black-and-white. The model changes for the udder, the bows, the brand, the saddles - all of those were done for the bovoch matriarch mount as well. This was the difference between buying a black car off a car lot and buying a red one - a very basic difference for which they more than doubled the price.

Please, someone at SOE explain to me how this was NOT a greedy cash grab?
  15. Tesshin Member

If this is the excuse they are giving, it is a poor one at best.

Remember that the ORIGINAL price of the pink meatbeast is 50k SC. 50k. It was 'discounted' to 5k for the one-day special sales.

So in effect, whether the original price was meant to be a joke or not, SOE has sent out the message that 50k was how much they valued the pink meatbeast at.

Is this a sign of things to come? Will all future, rare one-day items be priced at hundreds of dollars?

SOE needs to fess up that they blotched this big-time, and find a way to resolve this with their paying customers (since we use SC).
  16. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

rare = expensive, both in a virtual world and in the real world - look around at limited edition items that are being offered over the same cost for the same exact item that is not labeled limited edition.
  17. Poisinivy Member

if you dont like the price you dont buy it pure and simple, its amazing how many jelly people there are in this game just because the price of something was too expensive for them especially considering most of them dont even use real life money for their station cash
  18. Lempo Well-Known Member

Please refrain from using the word greed, you clearly do not understand what it means.
  19. Lempo Well-Known Member

Well here is another, you shouldn't be tossing the word scam around when you don't understand what is and what is not a scam.
  20. Lempo Well-Known Member

REALLY?
    REALLY?
    They didn't see the 50,000 with a line through it right beside the 5000, then they didn't see the 5000 in a different color BOLDED font in the purchase confirmation window?

Some of the stuff in here is 24K pure gold comedy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.