New Level cap Increase

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Rosie, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Milchbart Active Member

I have difficulties to understand what you want to say. First, doing a questline or a dungeon, developed in last iceage, within some hours is normal. Wait till Epic 2 and it will become different. Second, it has nothing to do with the actual question, how useful is a new lvl-cap? We simply dont need it! We all have leveled up the same spells already 10 times. It is boring to do it again, but it opens a possibility to sell again upgrades for real money.
    With a little bit phantasy you can find a lot of options to improve the toons in next expansion:

- by quest or xp growing familiars
    - ancient spells as loot or even "over ancient" spells
    - new adornments
    - new gear
    - a new gear slot, why not a ring on every finger? Of course one special ring for each finger.
    - deity system is not that bad, why not adding additonal function in relation to the xp? Something like: "You finish a questline, your god gives you 5000 more mitigation!"

Finaly everything looks better, than doing the same leveling again.
  2. Milchbart Active Member

Try Epic 2 questline with old gear and spells on a low level and you will understand.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  3. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

If you mean the old Raid epics...I do understand. I've dealt with it, though the real contributor to why soloing is so easy now isn't our own gear -- it's the current state of mercs.

As for the Epic 2.0s, I doubt it will change my opinion much. To me, a satisfying and complete play session is accomplishing whatever it is I set in mind to do, which is mostly smaller pieces of a larger goal. I really doubt I will ever see a need, when the game is tuned to only needing Experts, to spend money to accelerate obtaining Master/GM abilities nor will I ever be concerned with 10 new levels of spells since that gives me a reason to craft or a reason to run **** with guildies till I actually collect what I need.

Game's meant to be fun, not won.
  4. Ratza Well-Known Member

what's the cash cost....something like $85 per spell - right? What's the time to research that same spell ? What's the drop rate or opportunity to earn that spell in game? Tell me how that is not pay to win?....especially if you compare 2 toons - one with apprentice spells versus one fully GM. The difference is significant.

Or how about looking at it this way - one person drops down about 1k in cash to buy their ascension/epic for instant upgrades......the other person will spend how many months/years to research those same spells upgrades? When the developers make it "almost" impossible to get your upgrades in-game then yes....it becomes P2W in that aspect. When a spell does hit the broker the prices are totally out of control and unless you somehow exploited plat then the only way to have that much plat on hand is to buy/sell krono's - another P2W.....and how about those ancient spell upgrades at 10m a pop?....yep...buy/sell more kronos!!!
    captainbeatty451, Jrox and DoomDrake like this.
  5. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

For all we know, they will be decreasing the xp curve and 100-110 won't take very long. I can't see them making enough content to get us from 100 to 110 with the current curve. When it was 95-100 I had got to 97 and content was done, I just had to "grind" after that.

I enjoy level cap increases, but if the new content gets me to 103 and all the quests are done and everywhere explored.... I won't be a happy camper. But I wouldn't leave, as much as I would probably want to. Getting to 97 last time I nearly quit. This could be worse, but it also has a possibility of not being as bad.

Maybe some of the quest rewards will give levels! Point is: We don't know yet. Anything can happen.
    Prissetta likes this.
  6. Khama New Member

I only hope it is not hell-levels like EQ1's.
  7. Raff Well-Known Member

I have 10 level 100's, not including the 8 other toons ranging from lvl 6- 60. But only 1 toon with its Epic 2.0.

At this point I'm probably going to only work on that one class and maybe one other. Since this expac, I've pretty much quit playing lvl 100 alts what with the tithe and all.
    Meneltel likes this.
  8. Snorkasauruss New Member

Sure level caps are a part of the on going maturation of a game people dont want to be stuck doing things repeatedly til it gets old. When they recently nerfed all the exp gains prior to KA , I feel it made it harder for the lower level toons and alts to gain experience , making them to get PL thru an agnostic and not really learning their character and progressing thru the expansions with faction as it is required now to get your epics. Having to backtrack thru expansions is tedious and often mind numbing. I would hope they reset the experience gains for the lower toons and base the experience gains by level . If i got this wrong and they are basing experience gains by level then my apologies.
  9. semisus Does not play this game

quit because new levels? with no idea on how hard the levels will be to gain? no idea on how hard to get spells will be to get?
    we had this level cap for a while and most would like to move on , seems premature to say p2w or quit for what lies ahead.
    Shmogre likes this.
  10. Jhen Ro Active Member

I missed the part about needing to scribe journeyman before scribing adept on new, regular spells. As long as they function the way non-ascensions spells do now, I don't see it being that big of a deal, honestly. You can't swipe up all of the masters in one go for an alt in one go - but that's not terrible. Gives some love to the scholars - and a reason for the journeyman spells to exist at all.

As for leaving over a level cap raise? Sorry, I see this in a different light. If not grinding regular levels, then it would be AA levels. Or ascension levels. Or tithe. That's how games work? If there was nothing to improve, how would you expect characters to progress? There's no rule saying one player who plays 10 alts has to level the same speed as one person playing no alts. It's about choice - you choose to, and that's awesome. It's a GAME after all, have some fun!

Saying you are leaving over a level cap raise... Sounds more like you just need a straw for your camel's back because you're ready to go. I speak from experience - when the (Freeport?) server went live and the F2P model started creeping in back during DoV, I was ready too. Just happened to come back in KA is all.

What does worry me, if anything, is the inevitable gear shredder.

But again, what fun is it if you never get anything new - gear, spells, etc? If that's the case, level lock at level X and you're good forever.

Just some rambley thoughts.
    Prissetta likes this.
  11. Songwind Member

I feel your pain, I have been playing since EQ2 came out and am getting tired of chasing Levels. Instead I have started deleting toons (several level 100 toons) and soon since I have 2 accounts I will drop one of them.
  12. Bella222 Active Member

I agree. I have only just reached 100 with several of my toons. I would like to be able to take my time and enjoy doing the quests in the 2 latest expansions. I don't know how some players level up so fast. Maybe they only play one toon. 105 as a new level cap would be plenty for me especially with how long it takes to research expert and master level spells these days. Please reconsider DB,
  13. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how much the spells affect your role in groups or raids. For example, as a dps class, the number watching by both ourselves and our group mates is very real. Put someone with journeyman ascensions in the group with someone of similar gear who has grandmaster ascensions and there is a HUGE difference in the numbers they will throw up. If the raid spots are contested, the person with higher numbers will get the spot. And if they got those numbers because they paid money right at the start of the expansion, they will keep that spot until the other person catches up. Which based on my experience with current ascension spells is STILL NOT caught up even after using some of my own money to speed up a few of the levels towards expert. And yet I'm still only at 3 expert, while people are running around with full grandmasters or even a handful of grandmasters. This is now MONTHS into the expansion, and I play a lot, which means I've been trying to get spells the 'game' way, and yet it just doesn't happen. And I've been researching the entire time, but we see how fast that goes, with weeks per level of one spell.

So, if you're looking at a dps class, someone who pays their researching will win over someone who doesn't.

For the non-dps classes, it's a little more forgiving, as you may be able to do your job without it being so noticeable in difference from someone who boosted their spells on day one. Depends on how well you play your class and how much gear you have.

If they make it so you have to have each tier, then it is pay to win in some cases, felt more heavily by a dps class than others (arguable, but that's how I feel after playing healers for a awhile and now playing dps), but in all cases, it is playing into our desire to spend money in a very heavy handed way.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  14. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

If DPSing an encounter dead in 5 seconds is what it means to be worth a raid slot, that does explain a lot since DoV, yes. Though most of the people I've raided with, including during ToV, relied more on mastering the mechanics since very few of us had spells above Expert unless it was something we had very recently picked up. Never felt pressured, by any means, to worry about spells being above Expert -- and those I can craft.

I do keep hearing some business by more rational people than Fourmites (Sorry, but this forum and all forums in general have a HUUUUUUGE overreactive lean to them) that the Ascension Spells are much harder to drop the required items for than previously, especially with the change to how you HAVE to progress through spell lines as if they're gear upgrades.

But it still simply feels like a time cut to me, not a INSTANT VICTORY WITH MUH $$$$ kinda deal.
  15. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

I don't even understand 90% of what is being said here. I must be the casualist of casual players cause I just play the game and craft and decorate. If I gain a level. . so be it. If I don't . . . Oh well no biggie. I have only just now started going for my tradeskill faction in KA with the Sarnak people. (Level 100 carpenter finally but only level 93 Warlock. . . and this is my FIRST and OLDEST character! Main since launch for the last 13 years! Yes I am a slow leveler). I also have a full character list. I like playing different things and sometimes I would rather play a Monk or a Beastlord. . . I find that for my own personal play style some characters are easier to solo with than others. (along with merc). Anyway. . . that's just me.
    Prissetta likes this.
  16. Subo New Member

How is it a surprise to anyone that games have level increases? Tired of chasing levels? I'd recommend you stop playing ALL mmorpgs, because that's pretty much how they work.

We haven't had a level increase for 3 expansions. If you haven't had time to enjoy the last couple expansions, it has NOTHING to do with DBG increasing levels too quickly and everything to do with your playstyle. Don't call for DBG to reconsider when you're an outlier.
    Scrappyz and Quiarrah like this.
  17. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Folks new 10 levels were long needed.
    For now we have very messy spells/CA/AA skill/Ascending system - consolidation and simplification is long overdue
    Everyone keep asking for class re-balance - simplest way of doing it is building classes from scratch and this is what I expect new 10 levels will do. All you old CA/AA will become obsolete or near obsolete in next x-pack, everyone will be given sort of fresh start. The only reliable things that will left from that past are Epic 2.0 abilities + Ascending Classes. Now you have more or less even field and you can build each class in a way you see it
    Peter likes this.
  18. Bolbir Active Member

I remembered when i first started to play eq2 and i actually had to level from level 1 to 50.
  19. Graso New Member

This complaint is completely illogical. If you're casual and solo all the time, what the heck does it matter if you hit level cap or not? You say that 98% of people can hit the new cap, but the 2% casuals cannot. Let's assume for a moment that you are accurate with these numbers. You want them to cater to the 2% and piss off the 98%? Nah. I wouldn't do that. No smart gaming company will. If that's how you feel, then bye bye I guess.
    Scrappyz likes this.
  20. Milchbart Active Member

@ Quiarrah
    Ok, if you reach lvl 93 after 13 years it does not matter to have 7 levels more or 1000, but I guess you are a rare exception. Low level zones are completly empty today, but KA publik raids are so full that one zone is not enough for all gamer.

@ Kurei Hitaka
    I believe you have the same leak of information like Quirrah. You are right, it was normal to start a new raiddungeon with experts. It was actually the only way, because masters were rare and dropped mainly in raids, but the game mechanik is changing when you arrive with lvl 100 in KA.
    Some examples
    - In the past a damage master spell had maybe 40% or 50% more damage than a apprentice and grand masters didnt exist(except one from AA-tree). Today an ascension spell on grand master can have 600% more damage. Of course raid endbosses are designed in a way to resist the low level spells. Even in heroic content you see a significant difference. For example for the epic 2 questline I had to kill a heroic named. I tried with my guild several times, without any success. He killed the group always within 10 to 15 sec and we brought him never below 90% HP. We were without any chance. Finally we asked two people who had already epic 2 and ascension spells on GM. The first massive crit. blow brought him down to 20%, the second killed him!
    - The mitigation curve is not starting at 0 and it is not linear. Heroics have today usually a level of 106 to 108. Against a 108 mob a mitigation around 8000 has not any effect. With more than 8000 it is increasing very fast. At 25000 the mitigation absorbs 65 % of all damage and than the addtional increase slows down. The consequence is simple. Every tank needs much more than 8000 and only some % more or less between 8000 and 25000 have a significant impact. A tank needs all buffs and shields for mitigation on max level!
    - For supporter and healer the situation is similare. Imagine you have 10000 health. Imagine the healer gives you a shield, low lvl 5000 protection, GM 8000. Mob hits you with with 15001. With low lvl shield you are instantly dead, with high level you are down to 3000, but healer can do his job.

@Doomdrake
    I am not raiding, but following a lot of posts here you are right. Many people are claiming a misbalance between the different toons. With new levels this could be fixed. That point is an argument for new a new levelcap.
    DoomDrake likes this.