New Level cap Increase

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Rosie, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Rosie Active Member

I am sorry, I just have to get this off my chest.

As soon as the level cap is increased to 110, my husband and I, after 12 years of playing, will
    be quitting the game.

I am not fighting to raise solo my characters to lvl 110. It is unfair to us casual players to
    do something like this. I work for a living and cannot play 24/7 like 98% of the EQ2 population.

Anyways, I really hope you rethink raising the level cap to accommodate us work force persons.

Sincerely,

me
    Songwind likes this.
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Rosie, you can do it. Just take your time and go at YOUR speed. One exp point at a time. A journey of a thousand miles starts with but a single step. Just keep making those steps and don't count them, just keep walking on your journey.

However, if you both leave, I wish you good luck and hope you happiness, but I do hope you will both stay and play with us!
    Prissetta, Shmogre and Spindle like this.
  3. jbc1948 Well-Known Member

I doubt they will change their minds on this but it would be nice if the let people that are getting the lvl 100 xp bonus kep it for a few weeks at least. Having the hard earned bonus go poof as soon as they raise they cap is quite annoying. Its especially hard as Rosie said for people that due to schedule, etc pretty much solo.
    Altenative as you lvl from 101 to 110 each lvl will add some bonus for the rest of your toons. This will help people that don't want to just grind 1 toon all the way to 110 to get a bonus before switching to a second toon and so on.
  4. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

I still don't have ALL of my characters to level 100 and I have been playing (solo) since launch! I don't group. I don't raid. I just play by myself cause that's how I roll. I like talking to people. . . but the last thing I need is for some elitist to tell me I am playing my character wrong or that I don't have good enough gear or I don't do enough damage or I just plain don't knowq what I'm doing (according to them). I am actually glad that they are upping the level cap finally because I can't even thinl about going into Maldura yet . . . so. . . 110 is GOOD!
    World of Warcraft has been at 100 for some time and just made theirs 110 . . they will soon be upping their level cap yet again! (They always do). And we will sit at 110 for several years! With Mobs in upcoming expansions that are 10 levels over us at 110.
    I level at my own pace. No one dictates to me how fast to level or when to level or even who to level. I don't understand the leaving part. If you are that unhappy with the game why didn't you leave sooner?? Why wait until the level cap goes up?? The level cap going up means new content. . new quests. . . NEW all kinds of stuff.
    Sorry . . but I am tired of the crybabies.
    Prissetta likes this.
  5. Chrisworld Active Member

I hit the cap of level 80 sometime in 2008, and that same character is still only level 82, nine years later. 2nd highest is 75 i think. I don't see the big deal racing to max level, or why you are upset about the cap increasing, as it seems this is the natural progression of this game as it gets older and older. I took a break and by the time I got back SF was out and the cap was 90, being max level at end game content with good gear was now no longer true and I was back to the grind like everyone else, and as you can see I gave up on racing to max level as this is a game that just never ends. It's ok that way though, I don't see why you're so upset.
    Quiarrah likes this.
  6. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

I mean.. we've been 100 for three expacs now, AoM (Where 100 was introduced), ToT, and now KA.. You had to expect a level increase was coming at some point soon. If you think about it, they did do a level increase every couple years/expacs since DoV and before thateach expac was a new tier. *shrug* just my two cents
    Malombra and Prissetta like this.
  7. Thilka Member

I get that you feel like it's too much work, but also... increasing the level cap from time to time is an expected part of a level-based MMO. Levelling and replacing equipment and spells are part of the core carrot-on-a-stick design. I mean, if you've been playing 12 years you should know how this goes. The last one was a couple of expansions ago, we're due.

Presumably you did this expansion's sig line, where you did a bunch of stuff and replaced all your gear; if there had been a level cap increase you'd have been levelling at the same time. I dunno why that's so bad.
    Scrappyz likes this.
  8. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Let me tell you a little story:

Long go in a land called Azeroth the adventure level was only 80 and the people of Norrath were above them. Then, one day the Azerothians raised their levels by 5 . . then by 5 again and again until they traveled back in time to a land called Dreanor and they had to reach level 100. The norrathians were already at level 100 and stayed there for quite some time just minding their own business. . . probably busy crafting and decorating their man many homes. Just recently the Azerothians raised thir level cap to 110. . . and within a day you saw ALOT of them were already at that level. They introduced flying into the new zone which you had to grind rep for and ALOT of them HAD THAT in a day! (I don't understand how they do it. . . Azerothians must not have lives!)
    My people in Azeroth STILL have yet to level to 110 or fly in the new zone. Of course there isn't much else to do in Azeroth either. . . not like there is in Norrath! Norrathians have lives! And that is what makes the game FUN! Not hitting level cap in a day so you can play nice with all the elitists!

The End
    Meneltel and Prissetta like this.
  9. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Just a note: I think 98% of Everquests population DO work for a living. It's that OTHER game that 98% of the population can play 24/7. The one my little story is about.
    My guild had a running joke that EQ's base player age is OVER 30 . . . whereas that other game. . the base player age is under 20!
    Meneltel and Prissetta like this.
  10. Feldon Well-Known Member

The level cap raise was a complete surprise for me. Granted I thought the content concentrated around level 100 would be more compressed and somewhat complimentary. We've ended up with something like 40 levels of growth in player power all within level 100. I suppose at the current pace, a raise was inevitable.
  11. Alyndrys Well-Known Member

I have lower level characters to play low level zones and free heroic characters to play high zones and I go to work :) so win- win-win :)
    Prissetta likes this.
  12. MikeySaysGo Member

The game has been on the same level for three expansions. This raise in levels will allow for a balancing opportunity which is much needed.
  13. Milchbart Active Member

Yes, generally speaking an increase of lvl-cap is something very normal, but I have my personal problem just with this increase, just at this time! I am thinking about the experience of last months and our endless discussion about pay to win.

I remember a rumor some time ago, about an increase of lvl-cap to 105. I had already at that time a strange feeling, because devs promised the epic 2 weapon will be best in slot for 2 years. With increasing lvl that would be at least difficult. Remember the changes in stats in the past in such situations. Ok, I though it is only 5 lvls, maybe the change will be less dramatic than the last one. Now the devs changed their minds and speaking about 10 lvls more and I ask why?
    One year ago I would not think about it, but we all made some bad experience with p2w in KA. Devs are talking about new features like familiares or lvl 110, but not about 5 new overland zones, new dungeons and 500 new quests! That was the content of updates in the past, and lvl-increase was only an additional motivation for the gameplay.
    With 5 new lvls we would have to upgrade around 10 new spells, with 10 lvls it is just 2 times more, just 2 times more possibility to buy them with real money.

Familiares will increase the power of the toons. It would be very easy to design them in a way to be a substitute for new lvls. You get 10 familiares, each one is more powerfull than the one before! Why we are getting familiares plus lvl-increase?
    I bet on it, the upgrades for spells will be as rare as ascension upgrades today and ascension was something mainly for hard core players, new standard spells will be different. Nobody can run a dungeon with every spell on apprentice!
    I am a good example. I am casual player. In the last time I was always the one with the worst gear in my guild, but I was nevertheless able to tank every dungeon without problems, even with 5 people by my side with Epic 2 and fabled gear. The reason is simple. I am not a genius, but I had 3 years time to get all my spells on master or grandmaster.

We had in the past a very small p2w component in the game. Some people called it "pay to speed up" and I agree with this view. Since KA the p2w became much bigger, you can still say it is a kind of speed up, but in this case it is nearly an obligation to speed up, at least if you are a raider. You can find in eq2u easily toons with 10 ascension spells on grandmaster or ancient. I do not believe these people found them all ingame. I believe they bought them.
    KA was the test and obviously it works. With 20 or more new spells of course it will be a very big temptation for devs to make extra money in really big volume.

Ok, EQ2 is the grandgrandmother of MMOs, not much people are still ingame and every company has to earn money. I am a businessman by myself and the last one who cannot understand this. My problem is, I do not believe this is the right way. Ok, if neccessary, increase the price for Kronos and all access. Maybe it would be a good idea to increase price of Kronos drastically. It would make it more difficult to buy your gear via selling kronos, but a p2w model will finally destroy the ballance ingame completly.
    Meneltel likes this.
  14. Lucus Well-Known Member

i'd like to see the next level increase go with ascension, even if the abilities are your own class abilities with an ascension flair(or buffs that add an ascension flair to abilities) based on the type you are, as long as next levels of ascension aren't as big a timegate.
  15. Flamace Active Member

This thread will surely get them to change their mind. If you know the level cap is coming and you plan on quitting, why not cut your losses and part ways now? I chuckled at the "work of a living" bit. Id imagine most us have jobs, I know I work between 48-54 hours a week, hit the gym 4-5 days and still find time to log in when I want to. Granted I do not have my epic 2.0 but that is from my utter hatred for running all those requirements from content I experienced on different characters, when all that stuff was current.
    Quiarrah and Scrappyz like this.
  16. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

EQ2 is actually structured in a way that 1~2 hour play sessions give you a feeling of accomplishment. Actually, ESPECIALLY true as a casual player. I've been running my baby SK, and maxed out both Jinsik and Clan Skleross faction in the same day (Questing on him to get my epic pre-reqs knocked out), solo'd Shard of Fear although with some minor difficulties, including the last boss (Terror or w/e, x2), finished getting 80, and started my epic over a three-day period. Most of these play sessions were about 2 hours, some 3 or 4.

I really don't think the level cap will discourage casual players, or at least it shouldn't. If anything, I actually expect raiders to be more irritated with the cap increase since it means they have to go through the long process of re-mastering any new spells.
    captainbeatty451 likes this.
  17. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Yeah getting to 110 from 100 is not even something that bothers me in the slightest. Do stuff. Get experience. Get level 110. But...the spells...this is the part I don't even want to think about right now. Hopefully the drop rate on them is spectacular, because otherwise, this is going to be very frustrating for people with less play time or less plat.
  18. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

It sounds like we might have less spells, though, which could potentially be a good thing for us all. Possibly. Depends how it goes I suppose.

Has me really considering leveling an Alchy, Sage, and Jeweler so I can cover all spell types though lol.
    Prissetta likes this.
  19. Ratza Well-Known Member

When a game becomes more work than fun.....

Some people enjoy the leveling aspect but it's a short lived sense of accomplishment.....especially once you start looking at everything else that you need to upgrade after you ding. The whole idea of spell upgrades for 10 levels really turns me off - (especially if those upgrade opportunities are in line with the current state for accession upgrades). At the moment I plan to keep playing but if spell upgrades from 100-110 is just more P2W like accession upgrades I will probably look elsewhere for gaming entertainment.
    captainbeatty451 likes this.
  20. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Still don't get how spell upgrades are P2W, no matter how many time I see people repeat it.

Saving Time =/= Winning anything.