New Hairstyles Soon?

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Daecollo2, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Katz Guest

ttobey wrote:
    We are very literal.
    ttobey wrote:
    Is that a metaphor? Or should we take it literally?
  2. ARCHIVED-quiarrah Guest

For those of you with HAIR Phobia. . . I took a bald model and put some hair on her. . . .this should look something like what we all have been asking for. . . and I have a ton of hair png's that I can use. . . . (if you need more ideas to scare the living HAIR out of you!)
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    How hard can Hair be anyway. . . . the same thing with being "bald" when you put on a Hat. I just don't get. . . .BUT we all want new HAIR! Comeon. . .we havent gotten new hair since the new SOGA models. . and those are getting old. . at least the HAIR is!
    **Get the feeling "we ladies" want LONGER hair????**
  3. ARCHIVED-InsaneChaosMarine Guest

I want my wood elf to have longer hair as well, even though hes male, why are the wild elves the only ones with no long hair? LOL

BOTH Male/Female Wood Elves have only short hair options!
  4. ARCHIVED-Rogue4Life Guest

Perhaps the biggest thing I've seen missed by SOE has been the simple fact that little things mean a lot. All the "small" annoyances we gripe about, all the "small" details we'd like to see added or improved...they mean more to many of us than some new thing to kill.
    Little things are content, too.
    I think SOE might be surprised by the things that delight players and keep them playing. Kill the "dragon" a few times, and it's "Meh, been there, done that". Get bored with your hairstyle (to stay with the request at hand) and have tried them all, and no new ones are in sight despite years of requests? Too bad. Add that little nugget of dissatisfaction to the pile...and soon that pile of dissatisfactions is big enough to outweigh your "dragon".
    Frankly, we can kill monsters anywhere. It's the things we can do when we're NOT killing monsters that make the difference in how long it is before we get bored and move on to the next game.
  5. ARCHIVED-ttobey Guest

@ quiarrah
    Creating new hair is not difficult. Making it work with 37 skeletons and every legacy piece of clothing and armor gets tricky.
  6. ARCHIVED-ttobey Guest

Rogue4Life wrote:
    I think we have a pretty good idea of what players want for their characters from a visual standpoint. We are players too.
    Editted out the snark.
  7. ARCHIVED-Twyxx Guest

I vote new dragon.
  8. ARCHIVED-Shotneedle Guest

I vote ratongas with afros.

It doesn't even have to be a hairstyle. It can be a hat.
  9. ARCHIVED-Purr Guest

I vote Siamese with... well, Siamese fur pattern .-)

PS: wouldn't mind Longhaired Kerra, real Tabbies, Tigers, Lion boys with manes, colorpoint shorthair/siamese, real Calicos, Torties, Bengals and did I mention: Siamese!
  10. ARCHIVED-Lasai Guest

ttobey wrote:
    I understand that you all are players too. It would be nice to get more choice.. instead of either/or. Too many times we get the "we know what you want better than you do" solutions that simply replace a player choice with your choice. Every SOE office should have a "remember the NGE" poster tbh.
    Right now, a lot of old armor art is changed.. why? I've been forced to redo half my appearance armors because I don't care for the new black. No one, to my knowledge, asked for this. I do not see it as improvement. Sudden, unasked for armor changes have happened quite a bit.
    Non Visual but still look and feel.. why did we have to lose all slow horses? The unilateral bump to 130 speed was never asked for, done solely on the opinion of staff.. and really removed horse progression and speed choice from the game totally. That single change utterly ruined what had been one of the high points of this game for me.. realistic horses.
    On the subject of horses.. at EoF all models were replaced.. would it have not been better to keep some of the old in game and actually increase choice rather than decrease? The old horse assets were done and very usable.. but have never been re-introduced in any form. And TBH.. as a former professional Horse trainer.. the old Draft horses had it all over the new style heavy horse by a huge margin
    Too many times over the years I have played this.. art has been changed, removed, redone at the whim of the staff.. and rarely from player feedback. Any player feedback was after the fact.
    I get that staff are players. I really do. What I cannot help but ask is why it seems they are the only player voice that matters.
    As the poster said.. overall I do not have issues with this game.. but.. the small, niggling removal of MY choices have built to a general dissatisfaction that just does not go away. I get it when I realize I have lost more of my personal choices than I have gained. I get reminded of them too often. I don't see more choice coming. I see more homogienization of everything.
    Content is nice. Transient content.. I don't know. I'll still debate the gain of a very few one time quests over the loss of WillowWood. New hair styles.. well.. with Legacy we have tolerated the same old lack of style for 8 years.. that is pretty permanent. Most of the new player quests from launch are long gone.. and the hair remains, unchanged. What was the more permanent content?
    New hair style choices would be more utilized over time than a few new quests soon to be forgotten in the next update. That is my opinion.
    And finally.. there is my cynicism. For years.. literally, we were told flatly that new art assets and looks were too tricky, too time consuming, too much work.. and then bam.. with SC became totally doable and in fact.. prolific.
  11. ARCHIVED-quiarrah Guest

ttobey wrote:
    Key word. . . TRICKY . . . . .not impossible . . . . .I would then say "start tweaking". Even if you had to make them "HATS" it would give us a choice.
    I have no understnading of what it takes to write this stuff. . . it is all greek to me . .but I know what I like and I also know that nothing is totally IMPOSSIBLE. It just needs a little work. Perhaps that work you have been putting into NEW dragons/monsters, SC items and the like.
    Start working on new hair. . . . the SOGA models are getting OLD.
  12. ARCHIVED-Ellarae Guest

Beko@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    +1 to this. I would love to be able to use one of the freeblood hairstyles on my wood elf. Heck, make it a marketplace item if you have to: "Unlock [race] Hairstyles for all races" for 50SC or whatever.
  13. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

ttobey wrote:
    I would be happy if you guys would just swap racial hairstyles with some of the models.

I have posted about this before, ya know...
    Barbs/Dwarves get mohawks from the Half Elves.

Half Elves get a wider hair (full rainbow) and skin color pallete (bluer/purpler/grayer hues for half dark elf). After all, Half Elves should have already found ways to display their misfit pride already, by dyeing their hair wacky colors to match their piercings...
    Dark Elves get Red Hair, and High Elves get Black Hair.
    The list goes on of course. But wouldn't a Hafling Warden look dear, if she could but bring a flowery Kelethin hair style back to Rivervale?
    (/gasp, Customization/Just for fun Feature Unlock Quest idea!!!!! You're Welcome)
  14. ARCHIVED-covic Guest

We always talk about new hair and would love to make it happen, then I start figuring out what it would take. A hair piece dosent take too long to create, then I think about fitting that one hair piece to all the characters in our game that have slightly different geo and skeletons. Then I start thinking about skinning that one hair piece to take in customization such as ears and brow changes.
    Then I start thinking of just making 2 to 4 hair pieces, the exponential math keeps growing and growing, but still I think maybe...just maybe.. So I make a hair piece for a test and see that it makes all the old hair look like it needs an update. Then my mind wringles and blows up at the thought of redoing all the hair in game to make them look as good as the ones I created with tech that is 8 years better then the first hair pieces. Then I think of the players who dont like the update because they want their old hair even though the new ones are so much better.
    But still in this dream I press on and we spend tons of dev time creating all this cool new hair, and when we are done it looks fantastic. We have done it, I see players happy that they have new hair options, it so cool. They all congregate at their guild hall showing off their new locs for about 20 mins. It is so cool. Then they group up to go out and adventure and see all the new stuff we have been creating since the last update. Their running on their mounts to see the new monsters and get the new weapons and armor we have created. They keep running and running but the realization slowly sets in. There is nothing new to see. Just miles and miles of all ready run content, there is nothing new to see, just hair.
    Ok had a little fun there, it is pretty late in the morning. But in all honesty I have run some test, made a hair or two to fit on one character just to see what it would take and it would take a long time and it did make all the older hair look obsolete. But if everyone pays attention to my post, nothing is ever really set in stone with me. This could happen some day, probably not any time soon but who knows, we are always trying our best to give our players the best game we can and give them the game they want to play.
    Ok I think its time to get some sleep.
    Dave
  15. ARCHIVED-Novusod Guest

ttobey wrote:
    Dragons and other large scale mobs are kind of wasted art assets. Take for example Hexapola the giant insect x4 in Withered lands. We killed it once, it looked cool seeing it for the first time, but then when we were fighting it we couldn't even really watch it because we were staring at our hot bars and watching for red messages and goo on the ground for 90% of the fight. The tank and MT healers had to stand inside of Hexapola's body so they couldn't even see anything. It is not the art designers fault but that is just the way the raid scripts are these days. I could see a lot of work was put into Hexapola so even made a mental note to make a post about it at some time.

The same thing is true of kildrukaun, and other dragons from Skyshrine. The only thing we raiders get to see when fighting dragons when not looking at hot bars is dragon feet. Many dragons usually end up getting pulled into tight corners where the head and wings are cliping through zone geometry and the player never gets to see the whole dragon. Any old art assets could be scaled up in size to represent these raid bosses and we would still kill them just fine.

Would rather see more time put into customizing what the loot looks like. Still looking for a head band that doesn't hide my hair and maybe a vest or something.
  16. ARCHIVED-Kuroitsuki Guest

ttobey wrote:
    I normally stay quiet on such subjects, but on this, I think I'll weigh in.
    Do people truly understand what they are asking for? It might be all pretty and nice looking, but when you are trying to animate 24 dissimilar player characters + their mounts + all the bad guys on a raid... this is just BAD.
    I understand that people want to look "unique", but lets face it, EQ2 is a lag fest at the best of times (Raid / Smugglers BG).
    This is why for many, many years stuff was just reskinned. I might be shooting total blanks here, but I am pretty sure that many disperate models eat more into performance than many different textures.
    Whilst the Art team only have a set number of work hours a week, and I am sure they work hard (whilst not at that bar I heard they go to for "meetings" ^_^), I am sure what they actually implement is tempered by the code / engine guys trying to maintain a reasonable player experience.
    And you all those nay sayers, equip your whole raid with the same apperance armour (pref robe) and the same apperance weapons and watch the frame rate jump. Also, if you reply to this post with " I have a Core I7 + 5787586786GB Ram and a 8275864GB Gfx card, I have no problems".. I say... "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"
  17. ARCHIVED-Ellarae Guest

Lexicon@Splitpaw wrote:
    We have mounted combat now?
    But yes, good point. Would making existing hairstyles available to other races require adding more assets to the game? Or are at least some of the races similar enough that they could share hairstyles? Personally I like the Freeblood hairstyles and would love to be able to use them on non-Freeblood toons.
  18. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

ttobey wrote:
    +1 for the "new Dragons".
    I really like the model of Dozekar.
    Regards, theriatis.
  19. ARCHIVED-Cyliena Guest

Admittedly I haven't read through the entire thread, but just a thought: would making wig hats be easier than making new hair styles?
  20. ARCHIVED-Juggercap Guest

Beko@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    It's nice that you 'guarentee' those results. I doubt you're even close to predicting what the actual results would be. Barbie dress up is an important part of the game. New dragons (content) is what pays the bills.