New Guild Halls...too expensive

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vunder, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Even if you are an impatient power leveler that must get to max level ASAP, eventually you will have maxed all of your toons sooner than later. What then? Aren't these vials Lore/No Trade/No Value items? Having the reduced Upkeep is nice but still not worth $400.

You are right, though. This is just a gimmick for the elitist rich kids.

I'm just thinking they'd make more money if they'd priced it more in line with Prestige Housing. I mean, how many guilds have tons of active players compared to those whose membership have dwindled down to one, like mine?
    Griffon Lady, Belenos, Ishuna and 3 others like this.
  2. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Shiny and new is something people like and want. Like another poster said, how many Devs would buy this guild hall? When you are trying to decide whether your player population would like something: if you wouldn't buy it, chances are neither would they.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

The likelihood that the devs (programmers, artists, etc) are making the marketing (ie pricing) decisions is about the same that the marketing folks are making the coding and artistic direction decisions... Just because the devs are the ones we interact with the most, don't paper them with the blame for everything we encounter.
    suka likes this.
  4. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I think you already forgot this from several pages back:

RedvsBlue likes this.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

Yes, and he failed to reply when I asked him if devs do, indeed, make the fine details of marketing decisions and if the marketing folks decide how the code will work.

If you really think that artists and programmers really have direct control over how much daybreak charges customers for services.. I just don't know what to say.
    suka likes this.
  6. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

With all due respect, he said all of the decisions are a team effort and that makes perfect sense to me. What kind of company could function at all if there weren't mutual collaborations and agreements? It would only make sense that the dev's would have some input into pricing decisions as they are part of the team creating the content.
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

No tech company myself, my husband or my friends have worked for has ever let engineers and programmers set prices on the goods and services they sell...
    Griffon Lady, suka and Meneltel like this.
  8. RedvsBlue Well-Known Member

I truly hope that the the release is different next time around. I would say valid information was obtained, so we should see improvement next time, yus?!
  9. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I didn't say they are solely responsible for setting prices, I said I am sure they have some input. After all I am sure that they and any one else involved in creating content has to relay how many man hours etc. were involved in the creation of said content and other factors so that pricing can be determined.
  10. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

As Mizgamer said, RadarX posted that they are all on the same page when making these decisions and work as a team, whether success or failure. To me, that remark didn't sound like something is designed then handed off to the marketing team to decide what to do with it. To me, the remark he made sounded like they are a close-knit team that work together on projects.

So either he was 'just saying that' or it's true. Who knows.
    Belenos likes this.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

While I remain HIGHLY skeptical that the devs have significant control over the pricing of eq2.. even if it is true, the statements by players in this thread seem to treat the devs as holding most or all of the responsibility/blame for the pricing of the guild halls.. which, by the same 'it was a completely team decision' statement, is equally 'wrong'.
    suka likes this.
  12. Abasinolanam Active Member

First, I was not berating, I was pointing out facts. Second, the irony is that your link about price gouging specifically proves what they're doing is not price gouging. Price gouging is about essential/necessary goods. Selling expensive guild halls is not more price gouging than selling an expensive diamond tiara. Nobody needs a diamond tiara. Ever. Just like nobody needs these guild halls. They are an unnecessary luxury item and thus cannot be categorized as an essential item.

I don't know how long it took to make these guild halls, but I don't see how the money is being sucked out of my pocket. It's not like just because something exists I must buy it.

I honestly, without trollishness in my heart can defend this, for two reasons: one is that I don't believe that overpriced luxury items have any correlation with pricing of actually needed items nor subscriptions, and two, I think overpriced luxury non-essential items is a great way for the company to fund the game I love. For example, if they make a super shiny appearance-only sword for $100. Would I buy it? Absolutely not. Would somebody buy it? Of course! We still would have the option to buy the regularly priced $1-$5 swords, they just would not be as shiny or unique.

Lastly, I don't think the intention was ever for a single person to spend $400 for the guildhall. It was specifically setup so that it's broken down. I am no longer in a large guild but when I was I would not have blinked if the guild leader had asked me to shell $5 or even $10 toward a guild hall. We used to donate more than that for the upkeep of the website, etc.
    suka, Kittybock and Meneltel like this.
  13. Gothy New Member

Wow, so eq2 has changed this much now if you do not have money you dont have a guild hall? I am trying to read through this to figure out what is what here. Its been a couple years since i visited. I saw one complaint post about still no inventory to help players. I saw the post about a new trade server. I think ill just stay on Uthgard daoc. classic awesome game altho in beta way more enjoyable with challenge and no cash involved. and you can own homes and guild homes. So no reason to return here.
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  14. Gothy New Member

just remember daybreak was not a game company it was a financial company.
    Griffon Lady and suka like this.
  15. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Oh gosh no, guild halls are in game and free as always! This is just a guild hall for sale for real cash, but please don't let that keep you away. I think one guild has bought this guild hall. Just one and I don't think most people are going to buy it. Everyone in game I know still uses regular old plat and status guild halls. :)
    Mizgamer62, suka and Tekka like this.
  16. Belenos Well-Known Member

1. Please do not use the word "earn" for something that is acquired by nothing more than throwing real-life cash at DBG. There is no way to "earn" these halls, only a way to pull out the old credit card and pay for them. Whether one person pays, or 50 people pay, it is still just an item bought for cash. Also, the devs using the word "achievement" in conjunction with buying the guild hall tickets is completely whacked--if not insulting. There is no "achievement" in pulling out the old credit card.
    2. Kickstarter packs are nothing more than a reward for a donation. The money is donated in an effort to build a game a person would like to see become real and playable. There is no way the money to purchase these guild halls could be considered a donation! If DBG given them away as a reward for a donation, the players would be expecting that donation to be used for major new content--like maybe a Kunark-sized expansion!

Exactly this^^^. If the camel gets his nose under the tent on this one item, guess what you will start to see coming down the pike with nauseating regularity!

And this^^^.

It does affect ALL our lives, since it, if accepted by the players, will become the new norm for everyone. Tell me Columbus Nova will not continue to demand these type of returns, if these halls sell well enough to be profitable! I will not believe you, because I know better. Our only chance to avoid this fate is to overwhelmingly reject the guild halls and show CN that we will not accept this outrageous new direction for the game.

The devs want to keep their jobs and feed their families just like the rest of us do, and it is my belief that they know better than this, but had it shoved down their throats by CN--just like CN is trying to do to us, the players. Say NO! with your wallets, or be responsible for what will inevitably follow!
    [IMG]

And believe me, this is one STINKY camel!
  17. suka Well-Known Member

no- that simply isn't true. you can get a guild hall if your guild is level 30 for a small amount of ingame plat and some status points. what is being discussed is a non-essential luxury guild hall recently placed for an extremely high price on the marketplace. we have been promised more practical ones at lower prices, but you never have to buy anything on the marketplace for the game.

and no inventory??? there are things like shared banks, personal banks, housing vaults, personal inventory slots, 46 slot backpacks and 48 slot boxes that you can place in each slot, and then for houses there are several types of personal depots. i would not say the game has no inventory.

eq2 has the best housing, best crafting system, awesome dungeons and gameplay, all for free. so if you are going to judge a game by one post on the forums, maybe you should start doing research on them first. or you are welcome to stay where you are. seems you have a strange way of interpreting stuff and don't bother to read anything about a game before posting such an absurd declaration.
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  18. Belenos Well-Known Member

Actually, that would be the perfect name for them, if enough people buy them to send this game spinning down the path of mega-real-life-cash purchases as the norm. Those who made it happen by buying the halls should feel a bit of guilt.

Ben Franklin had it right: We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.
  19. Tekka Well-Known Member

The halls being discussed in this thread are premium halls for cash. The standard platinum/status halls are still available, as well as the one you actually earn.

There are a lot of ways to manage your inventory, though if you like to keep wardrobes or decorate it can quickly become problematic, even with storage alts. If you're short on coin, seek out a friendly crafter, most folks will lend a hand to new players, or old players returning.

EQ2 does offer a few things that I've not come across in other games with comparable housing, like the player written journals and house actors. It's had a lot of years to accumulate lots of items, so there is a lot to design with. With few independent environmental effects, figuring out how to make your own can be a fun challenge. The hall amenities can be quite useful!

Consider a visit and see for yourself! You're the best judge of what you like, not posts on a forum.
  20. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Guilt Halls...lol
    Belenos, Ishuna, WeareLegion and 3 others like this.