New gaming laptop

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Leloes, May 7, 2020.

1. Carynn Well-Known Member

I was looking at the MSI Stealth one, because it's light and comes with 1TB. The one I have now is heavy, heavy.
    Rosyposy and Leloes like this.
  2. Leloes Well-Known Member

That's not good. I can't have it be too heavy because it sits on my lap. So, what laptop would you recommend?
  3. Carynn Well-Known Member

Lol. I said I was looking at the MSI Stealth one because it's light and comes with 1TB.
    Leloes likes this.
  4. Leloes Well-Known Member

OOPS! Sorry....I misread what your post. LOL Do you have a link to the MSI Stealth?
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Carynn Well-Known Member

It's the very first link I posted to you on page 1. :)
    Leloes likes this.
  6. Leloes Well-Known Member

Bookmarked it! I'll check it out and see what it costs, etc.......
  7. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Not much more than a Netflix subscription. It is $12.99/mo and like I said, it includes a lot of movies/tv shows (plus Amazon originals), a huge selection of eReading material, plus the free shipping on qualifying purchases (there are a lot that qualify including non-perishable groceries).
    Not sure if you can get a 30 day free trial since mine was the result of activating the video app on my Roku tv, but I do suggest going to the Amazon website to learn more about it. You might be able to get the free trial?
    Hope you are able to find the best deal possible.
    Leloes likes this.
  8. Leloes Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll check into it and see what I can find out.
    Breanna, Beee and Hartsmith like this.
  9. Leloes Well-Known Member

I need to find something out. Does the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S ultra slim gaming laptop come with a cord that can be plugged into the wall?
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Balcerak Well-Known Member

I imagine it comes with a power brick that has a cord to the laptop and the power brick has a cord that goes to the wall. It needs to get power somewhere!
    Leloes and Breanna like this.
  11. Leloes Well-Known Member

I hope so but I do remember that some laptops only come with batteries. Any other power source had to be purchased separately.
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Balcerak Well-Known Member

Hmm, I've never seen a true laptop that didn't have a power supply. Maybe some small tablets. The reviews for it state that the batteries only last about 2 hours of gaming before they had to plug in the charger. Dunno if this is the same model but it states 240W power adaptor: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-S17/Tech-Specs/
    Leloes likes this.
  13. Leloes Well-Known Member

I certainly hope so. :)
  14. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

If seller’s page doesn't obviously indicate that (external) power supply is included; also on photo on seller’s page this is not; then in this case it's possible that it will not be in box with goods received. Therefore, in this case, you should now see compatible power supplies available from other sellers. Compatible power supply is very likely available, and costs no more than spare battery. If laptop model relatively new years of release, it's perhaps that you can find original power supply (it can cost well more than non original). Original asus power supplies compose of two parts. With "voltage regulator" in middle of cord length. And non original don't have such stabilizer (voltage regulator) and composed of one part. Just with power cord. Thus, when using a non-original external power supply, perhaps you should look at voltage stabilizer for laptop, but sorry I not looked out availability of such in sale. In any case, uninterruptible power supply (ups) for desktop is suitable instead (but they are bulky and need to buy them in ordinary stores, such as self-service shop or specialty. And they can be expensive). I think that compact voltage regulator can yet be found and not expensive. Besides, I remind you that if you have smartphone with camera, then try to come up with something like tripod for him or someone should be nearby and hold smartphone while shooting with camera, which will be needed in process of unpacking goods. For such expensive purchases as laptop, this must be done. Then, if seller assure (you need to correspond with him before buying and after, and clarify details) that in suite includes power supply with cord (and this compose of two parts, that is with voltage regulator), but after receipt you will fixate on video what it's not so (hope this is not happens), then you can open dispute, and either receive compensation for shortage, or, sending goods back - your money (after resolving dispute in your favor, you will most likely receive money, let's hope, in few days). So it makes sense to look for compatible (and if you're lucky - original) power supply. If there as result are two of them, then there will be spare, which is also not bad. Because just in case, and you will be calmer
    Leloes likes this.
  15. Leloes Well-Known Member

This is the problem. It doesn't list whether or not an alternate power supply is supplied and I'm really not sure what would appropiate.
  16. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

on official page of asus it's shown that there is (it's not shown there that it's with "voltage regulator", but this is implied. they just don't bother with such things potential buyers which are can to learn it from PA marking). Just look at link that Balcerak has pointed out for you. it's written there "240W Power Adapter Support Type-C PD 3.0 up to 65W "- this as likely guarantees receipt of original (with voltage regulator) power adapter. But as I understand it in your case, order will perhaps be made to another seller. Is there and another seller same inscription as on asus page? ..actually, asus should have another page on that directly show completeness of goods. And this can be confusing, but in one box both power supply unit with transformer and voltage regulator are mounted. in non-original there is only transformer
    Leloes likes this.
  17. Leloes Well-Known Member

I'm getting my laptop from Amazon.
    Hartsmith likes this.
  18. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

what do they write about power adapter? perhaps you don’t need to worry and everything that I wrote here is just unneed. amazon is serious company, they must (in theory) ensure that everything is fine
    Leloes likes this.
  19. Leloes Well-Known Member

Here is the amazon write ups.......

• Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB (base: 990 MHz, Boost: 1230 MHz; TDP: 90W)
    • Intel Core i7-8750H Hexa-Core processor
    • 15.6” 144Hz 3ms IPS-Type full HD (1920x1080) Display
    • 16GB 2666Hz DDR4 | 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD | Windows 10 Professional
    • 0.62” thin, 4.6 pounds ultraportable military-grade magnesium alloy body gaming laptop with premium metal cover
    • Rog active Aerodynamic System (AAs) with upgraded 12V fans and anti-dust tunnels to preserve cooling performance and system stability
    • Customizable 4-zone Asus Aura RGB Gaming Keyboard
    Screen Size
    15.6 inches
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 pixels
    Max Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 pixels
    Memory Speed
    2666 MHz
    Graphics Coprocessor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q
    Chipset Brand
    NVIDIA
    Card Description
    Dedicated
    Graphics Card Ram Size
    8 GB
    Wireless Type
    802.11a/b/g/n/ac
    Number of USB 2.0 Ports
    Number of USB 3.0 Ports

Other Technical Details

Brand Name
    ASUS
    Series
    ROG Zephyrus S GX531
    Item model number
    GX531GX-XS74
    Hardware Platform
    PC
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Item Weight
    4.63 pounds
    Product Dimensions
    14.2 x 10.6 x 0.6 inches
    Item Dimensions L x W x H
    14.2 x 10.6 x 0.6 inches
    Processor Brand
    Intel
    Processor Count
    Computer Memory Type
    DDR4 SDRAM
    Flash Memory Size
    Hard Drive Rotational Speed
    10000 RPM
    Optical Drive Type
    None
    Batteries

1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)

Style:144Hz | i7-8750H | RTX 2080 | 512G
    The all new ROG Zephyrus s gaming Laptop is redefining ultra-slim gaming laptops yet again with innovative engineering to cool Its 8th Gen Intel Core i7 processor and up to GeForce RTX 2080 with MAX-Q design, so you can immerse yourself in its no-compromise 144Hz/3ms Display. The actual transfer speed of USB 3.0, 3.1 (Gen 1 and 2), and/or Type-C will vary depending on many factors including the processing speed of the host device, file attributes and other factors related to system configuration and your operating environment.

Rosyposy likes this.
  20. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

(included).. Yes, there is something to worry about - I don't see any mention of presence of power adapter in compose. Perhaps need to write to seller and ask about it. A letter from seller stored on amazon website can serve as well evidence in dispute if he.. "forgets" to put what it promised (if buyer also give video of unpacking goods)