New gaming laptop

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Leloes, May 7, 2020.

1. Leloes Well-Known Member

I've been looking at buying a new gaming laptop in the next few months. Anyone have any suggestions for a good inexpensive gaming laptop?
    Breanna, Soara2 and Rosyposy like this.
  2. Leloes Well-Known Member

Can't believe no one has no suggestions......
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  3. Breanna Well-Known Member

I know nothing about that stuff. I get my other halfs hand-me-downs, when he builds a new one.
  4. Carynn Well-Known Member

Soara2 and Leloes like this.
  5. Melkior Well-Known Member

I get tripped up with "good" and "inexpensive". That is often hard to do especially for quality gaming equipment. Also it's better to give an idea of your budget. For some $500 may be dirt cheap, others may consider it pricey.
    Hartsmith, Soara2, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  6. Nukester Member

I bought a used one off eBay for around $300, been playing for little more than a year on it, no issues. Can do everything in balanced. But not in raids. Just look for a lot of ram, big GB video card and I good intel CPU.
  7. Leloes Well-Known Member

Don't know myself......but I have to depend on myself when I want to get a new one.....

I'll check out your link later on when I have a few extra minutes. Thanks!

For me good and inexpensive are almost the same thing. I'd say my budget will be about $1500 afterba few more months of saving.

I looked on ebay but mostly what I was finding were refurbished ones. I take another look....maybe, just maybe I'll find one.....
    Soara2 likes this.
  8. Balcerak Well-Known Member

You can get a very nice new one with warranty etc for $1500. Be sure to get a real laptop and not one that is a convertible tablet. Tablet's don't get rid of heat very well and EQ2 will make your cpu hot as heck without some decent cooling.
  9. Leloes Well-Known Member

Just have to save for a few more months then I should have the funds. I'm trying to decide between an Acer or a Lenovo. Not that hot on a Dell. Had a very bad experience with one.
    Soara2, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  10. Avithax Well-Known Member

I use a MSI GP series to play when i'm traveling (which is about 50% of my time). If you can pick one of the GP 70ish series in the Leopard version on sale it's an outstandingly stable enviornment for gaming. I can run 12 accounts at a time on it and still have enough CPU to easily run a web browser and stream music.
    Soara2, Carynn, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  11. Leloes Well-Known Member

WOW! Sounds like a great laptop!
  12. CharbrynEQ2 Well-Known Member

I recently got an Asus ROG Strix gaming laptop to replace my dying tower, was about $1100 new. It has been terrific. I do have to lower the settings for raid but that is only due to my internet (I use my phone as a hot spot). Outside of raid I can crank up the settings and still run smoothly.
    I have it on a docking stand with an external gaming keyboard/mouse and a 24" monitor connected to it and it has been great. :) Zero regrets moving away from a tower, and when I have to travel I'm set.
    Soara2, Rosyposy and Leloes like this.
  13. Leloes Well-Known Member

Sounds great! I'll take a look at one and see about it.
  14. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Bit of an open ended question, if you provided a budget it'd probably help.

In terms of an EQ2 specific machine, you want the best single core performance you can get. Intel will be superior for that generally. Graphics card isn't overly important, EQ2 barely uses it.

If you want it to be able to play other games long term, you'd probably want totally different aspects to it.
  15. Janoomi Member

I bought an MSI STEALTH it was a bit expensive but worth it to me as I'm in a truck and use it to power a 4k monitor for entertainment, which is a write off. I also use it to stream movies and such along with other game played. For me and me only it was the best option ,light ,powerful and lots of HD space.
  16. Leloes Well-Known Member

You must not have read all the posts in this thread....as I previously stated about $1500....
    You sound like me. I game, watch movies, watch youtube, etc.....
  17. Avithax Well-Known Member

The Stealth is a very nice unit. I don't have the need for all the 4k stuff so I went with the GP series. Nice write up on them here.
    Leloes and Soara2 like this.
  18. trollanfrog Member

It depends on budget and what you're trying to play. If it's this game you don't need a harcore laptop as this doesn't utilize a gpu nearly as much as cpu.

I'd honestly wait on Amd to finish launching it's 3000 series, and Nvidia to launch it's 30 series. Prices will drop everywhere else, and Amd has new mobile chips right now that are cheaper with more cores and threads than intel does.

If your going to go hardcore and need it right now, get a rtx 2080 with a 8950k chipset, Asus has one called the Mothership. Also alienware has one that is extremely overpriced but will work just as good. Remember certain hardware at particular price points become pointless if you don't have the refresh rates to match. There is no reason to buy a high end laptop if the monitor is 1080p 60hz. You'll want to aim at atleast 1440p 144hz.

Mid range you can get by with 2060 or 2070. 2070 will still be overkill at 1080p. 2060 will max out everthing no issues at 1080p. Stay cautious of the cpu that these companies try to put these laptops, alot of mobile chips are terrible.

It literally all boils down to budget and and what you're trying to achieve
  19. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

https://www.aliexpress.com/category/200216551/gaming-laptops.html
    *can create an account also on aliexpress (I think that you already have an account on ebay), but don't show there to them remember your cards *sort with choice of free delivery (in fact there is no significant difference in waiting time, but delivery can be expensive) *read carefully reviews, it's desirable that there are a lot of them *check liked for you any model look on youtube *look at "matching the description" parameter on order page and of course you must will see that one or another seller of goods have good rating or not *same seller can be on ebay - can compare prices. But it’s still better to buy in reality, from alive seller and check game - how it feels - right in real store, although it's more expensive but more reliable
    Breanna, Soara2 and Leloes like this.
  20. Leloes Well-Known Member

Sorry....most of what you just flew right over my head. I usually go by ram, HDD space.....my budget is about $1500 so I'll just have to see what that covers...

So, which would you recommend?
    Soara2 likes this.