new expac needs to be geared toward ONLY level 80 group players

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Ravaan, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Ravaan Guest

WeatherMan wrote:
    ok so basically your opinion doesn't matter then on this topic because you don't really play the game. these forums are for people who actively play the game.
    my guild and I must be the exception to the rule when it comes to being raiders. because all that stuff you mentioned? i have done and so have most of them, we talk about current music and movies all the time in vent and on the guilds forums.
    i spend a lot of time with friends and with my wife as well, my house isnt a pigstye my yard isnt overgrown and i sure as heck not rich enough to pay people to do those chores.

and we do fine.
    maybe were not your standard raiders ... OR maybe you casual gamers should get off this whole idea that raiders are no life losers who sit in game 18 hours a day.
  2. ARCHIVED-doomalot Guest

i agree that there needs to be more content in the lvl 80 range because the players (myself included) are bored and if not right now are probably getting bored, but not just new content more new twists to the game (not lore) such as was the first post said a 12 man dungeon would be kinda interesting to experience. i also think there should be more content in the lower ranges that have been completely ignored in ALL of the expansions (now that i think about it EoF didnt and did a good job there) and only 2 of the adventure packs have added content to these areas and if you havent caught on yet i meen the levels 20-50. a whole 30 levels have been ignored and it would really nice if that was changed in this next expansion. heck i havent bothered making another lvl 80 character because ive ran RoV, RE, CT, and PF so many times my eyes start to glaze over in the first 20min of being there.
  3. ARCHIVED-shaunfletcher Guest

Ravaan wrote:
    Hear hear. Some people would wrongly call me and my partner casual players (we solo/duo a lot, and never ever raid) but frankly we play more hours than even most dedicated raiders, have done almost everything in the game except raid, and its to me ridiculous to suggest raiders (or we) are automatically life-free losers. Sure some are, but so are some portion of any group.
    Raiding, like hardcore non raiding, and like casual playing, is a totally valid and no doubt fun playstyle, and putting down other groups of players generically (as people on all sides do) just makes you look bad, not them.
  4. ARCHIVED-Qandor Guest

shaunfletcher wrote:
    I would think casual gamers might get off this whole idea that raiders are no life losers who sit in game 18 hours a day about the same time raiders get off the whole idea that non-raiders are lazy bums who want everything handed to them on a silver platter. The expected time frame for both these revelations to sink in is never.
    It will never happen because there is a very vocal minority on each side who truly believes those things. They will perpetuate those myths and cloud every discusiion until it boils down to us against them as always.
  5. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

If that would ever happen (that this fact would sink in) we would have not half the fun we have now, reading the forums !
    Regards, theriatis.
  6. ARCHIVED-Kizee Guest

Qandor wrote:
    Well look at all the posts where the casuals think they deserve the stuff that raiders get.....there was even an instance of a casual wanted the mythicals to be available to them. /boggle

It's not the raiders that label the casuals that way...the casuals do a pretty good job at looking like instant gradification people by themselves.
  7. ARCHIVED-mzaga Guest

> new expac needs to be geared toward ONLY level 80 group players

Why hasn't Sony already thought of this! Let's look at it from a business perspective:
    1. ONLY level 80 group players pay any subscription fees to Sony.
    2. Sony has no interest in selling the new expansion pack to anyone other than level 80 group players.
    So, the advantages are obvious. Even if it cost almost nothing to tweak in something fun for any of the other players, why go through the trouble of adding it?

I do think we can take this great idea even further though. The next expac should be geared ONLY for the OP.
  8. ARCHIVED-backtostart Guest

I havent seen one casual player post that the expansion should only be for lvl 20 to 40 with no raid content in it, but most the raiders seem to think this expansion should be geared just for them.
  9. ARCHIVED-Mendou Guest

How did this get necro'd from last month? /boggle
    Every character/player of every level and play style wants more of their favorite things + something new. I vote we shush with the radier/casual/multibox/solo/group/etc hate and just all enjoy the game. We all pay to play the same game after all and we wouldn't be posting if we didn't care.
    My 2cp and 'Tonga hugs for all.
  10. ARCHIVED-Nephretiti Guest

Ravaan wrote:
    Dude - don't be so elitists. I am lvl 80 etc. and all that - give the new guys a break - they pay to play just as much as you and deserve just as much access to new content as you. You are NOT the only player on the server - everyone deserves access regardless of their play stayle.
  11. ARCHIVED-Sebastien Guest

I have just started up again, but I have played on-and-off since launch.
    I think OP shot himself in the foot by making his tone too confrontational. But actually, I do agree with the point. Each time I have left, it was because I didn't feel there were enough emphasis on team-level challenge. I do think the game would benefit from a more defined set of endgame progressions at this point.
    There are WAY more low level zones than you can get to, given how fast characters level now.
    I really think EoF was probably one of the strongest expansions ever launched for a game, and part of what I liked about it was that it built a whole new progression, from level 1 up. But I don't think you want to do that EVERY time. The game is a bit bottom-heavy right now, imo.
  12. ARCHIVED-valkry Guest

Um... no.
    Just because I chose to get distracted by the middle part of the game, instead of just pushing forward to the end game, it doesn't mean that my account is any less important to SoEs profit margin then your's is. Maybe you won't use all of the mid-level content in the new expansion, that's fine... I won't be using the raider content. I can deal with that.
    But I'm not going to act like your play style isn't valid and that the company should expect you to be happy, content, or anything above having a hairy-cat-fit if I suggested that an expansion should ignore the needs of high end players... because the last couple expansions had stuff for end-gamers.
    EQ2 is a game that covers multiple players styles... therefore the expansions should have something for EVERYONE. If they want to create an EQ2-Elilte game, and let every lvl 80 toon who wants to transfer their character to the game, then by all means create a lvl 80 only expansion, but untill then, sorry you are stuck w/ us slackers taking up space in your world and content in your expansions.
  13. ARCHIVED-shaunfletcher Guest

Kizee wrote:
    Yes, as noted by others, A FEW people within any playstyle say stupid things. That goes for raiders and casual players and hardcore soloers and crafters etc. Buying into that as an image of everyone is the mistake you are making.
  14. ARCHIVED-Kizee Guest

valkry wrote:
    My playstyle? I didn't know that the minortity of people that play games like to get to the endgame. I think it is pretty normal to want to get to the end of a game.
    Just because you get distracted in the middle of the game and start over ....you can't expect to have new content all the time.
    SoE needs to focus on the endgame contnent because that is the content that will always be lacking...especially after a level cap raise.
  15. ARCHIVED-Earar Guest

yeah the lvl content until T5 is great and you have plenty to do. U lvl so fast that can't see everything though.
    If something needed to be added would be T6 to T8 where lvling is slower.

maybe ... if they add a new starting city/race, they would add some low level content. if not what we have is enough.
    when you xp and discover the world you always have things to do, except if you can't find a group to do heroic quests .. but that's another problem. but when you're 80, you don't have much to do. grinding xp for AA, equip your character, play alts?
    now that people can become 80 in a month, you need good high end content for people not to get bored. that's all. not because lvl 80's are more important but because the game must not end when you hit 80. you should still have something to do. not just doing again the same 5 instances for masters and raiding.
  16. ARCHIVED-Gromph Guest

Kizee wrote:
    So far I can't remember any post where casuals have asked for instant gratification, or anything similar to that. Of course, I do not read all posts so that may have happened. I do, however, remember many posts claiming such events (such as Kizee above).
    Furthermore, I do remeber the rather enormous complains/whining from when the ROK was released where many, who claimed themselves to be raiders, were not prepared to spend the time and effort it required to level up to 80. They required a faster xp gain.

A few times I have proposed an endgame for solo/duo players, similar to raiding. For some reason that cause strong emotional reactions from raiders. I havn't seen many arguments, and that makes me believe there aren't any.
    This is what it looks like:
    10 Raider: What!! should a solo player get raidning stuff. Are you crazy. You just want our stuff for free.
    20 Me : No, it was not supposed to be easy. It should not be easier or faster than for raiders. Its just an alternative path and your raiding can go on as before.
    30 goto 10

Apparently many raiders feel emotionally threatened by the thought that a solo player after hard and long play should get better stuff.
    One possible explination I have been thinking of is that many raiders carry the image of raiding as difficult and solo play as easy. And that solo a path could be made as hard and difficult as raiding is unthinkable. Then my word implying a solo path as challanging as raiding can not be absorbed. (Whether that is true or not is another discussion and should be in another thread).

Note that I have nothing against raiding or raiders. (I have a son who is a hard core raider. And I have seen his solo play ... :)
  17. ARCHIVED-Kizee Guest

Gromph wrote:
    You have to be blind to miss all the posts about non raiders wanting raid stuff.... don't make me look them up because the search on this board sucks.

BTW...the "raiders" that were asking for faster exp gain was because grinding exp was/still is slow slow slow. The "raiders" wanted it to be fair since the solo questing was 4x faster than grinding in a dungeon where as the dungeon has more risk so it should be faster exp. The "raiders" didn't want to be forced to level thru solo quests since alot of us didn't like that part of the game.

Uh raiding is alot harder than soloing therfore raiding should have the top end loot. SoE made the mistake of caving into the casuals and giving them raid qualtity items because they have come to expect it now.
  18. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

Gromph wrote:
    This is exactly why. Raiders who hold this view perpetuate the myth that there could never be solo play that could be made as challenging as raiding. That because they find the current solo content stupidly easy and is only something they do when they aren't raiding, that it should stay stupidly easy and be the bottom of the barrel in content. They fall back on the excuse that any proponent of solo content is just someone who wants something for nothing, even those of us who are asking for more *challenge* and thought in solo content, not less.

As for one being easier than the other, every playstyle has easy parts or challenging parts. There's a knack to soloing, to duoing, to grouping and to raiding. More people doesn't equate to more challenge. Challenging content designed around abilities available in a playstyle equate to more challenge.
  19. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

So yeah, you could make an interesting solo challenge. Unfortunately either it would have to have jack all to do with your class or it'd have to be tailor made to a minimum of four specifications. And taking into account the disparities between the classes, to make it really challenging you'd probably have to tailor it to six or more. Each class by itself is also fairly limited strategically and depends a lot more on random chance. It's not terribly hard to play a class close to optimally when you're solo, but if you have repeated resists, low end damage hits, unlucky root breaks you're boned. To play optimally when you're depending on other people's buffs, debuffs, healing, aggro, etc is a much more complicated task. But it's also more reliable, in that you have a bit of redundancy and one person can pick up some slack if the dice go wrong.

Thus I would say it is harder to make compelling solo content than compelling group content, and it's really not been a focal point of the game ever. If the choice is a couple interesting group instances I can use with my friends or one solo challenge I have to go with the former.
  20. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

Ragadagh@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    They had it here and there. Up until about DoF, there were random, fun little solo dungeons. Now solo content in most areas has been relegated to Fedex or kill x of x type of quests. I love that I have things to do in Kunark, but I would trade the number of the mindless quest lines for a handful that displayed real challenge and creativity.