New Exp method flat out destroyed power leveling!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Blissa, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Grumble69 Member

I shudder to think how it would have been on my brig (who is now swashie). That class was pretty much single target. ...but then again getting into a group was a bit of challenge which is why I switched classes.

Anyway, without naming zones, is it a problem with the xp mechanics? Or is it a problem with the person pulling? Some folks like to go all ape**** when they pull. Had they used their low level ae to pull and just pause a second, more folks could have gotten on the list before blowing them down.
  2. Slugard New Member

What game are you playing? I've even seen tanks that were 92 mentored down to 55 wipe in Dark Forge, even after it was nerfed with something as trivial as the Doomsmith because they didn't pay attention and tried crying about no "OT" to handle the hammers because the mobs in the zone are mentored down themselves. So many people on EQ2 Flames think this game is designed to "mash" buttons at lower level and not care. It's a matter of opinion and if you're doing group content or raid content. I even don't use the same spec if I'm simply grouping to run an instance versus doing a full out raid.
  3. Atan Well-Known Member

Heh, most recently I was grouped with a ranger and wizy that were one shot killing things in SS and my templar was falling behind and unable to keep pace with the XP they were getting.

Sure, if these players waited for the mobs to hit the tank and trigger a heal, yes it would have gone better, but when you can one shot mobs, why wait for the tank to pull?

The same effect can be seen with different classes and at different levels in the game. There is just so much 'heroic' stuff that cons blue or higher that falls down and dies to the first hit that this mechanic was the wrong decision. And I'm not just talking about power leveling scenarios. Just in general.
  4. Faliz Member

I'd like to think most players will have it figured out before they hit 95. If you have to tell yourself "okay now I'm 95 time to rethink and relearn everything" then you really didn't learn anything about your class from levels 1 to 95. At this point based on what you're saying just save time and hire monkies, they'll play our class better if everyone has to rethink what they're doing once they hit 95.
    Sixgauge likes this.
  5. Slugard New Member

[quote="Faliz, post: 8606, member: 247I'd like to think most players will have it figured out before they hit 95. If you have to tell yourself "okay now I'm 95 time to rethink and relearn everything" then you really didn't learn anything about your class from levels 1 to 95. At this point based on what you're saying just save time and hire monkies, they'll play our class better if everyone has to rethink what they're doing once they hit 95.[/quote]

Upon hitting 95 I didn't have to rethink my class and I know I definitely didn't have to sit down and relearn everything. Those who are doing such may be trying to improve how they play when it comes to raiding but raiding isn't everyone's cup of tea.
  6. slippery Well-Known Member

If that is your attitude then you clearly don't try to improve yourself, and are probably one of those players people don't look forward to grouping with because they are carrying you. You're talking about learning to play a class like there is something to learn. There isn't. Basically every class in the game plays the same.

The only learning that is done is what is most efficient dps, or heals, or use of saves. Which is done at 95, because how they are used changes based on everything else you have. It's something you have to do at 95, because if you don't what you are doing is definitely not the best. You can't learn how to play a Warden in raids leveling. You can't learn how to play a Guardian in raids leveling. It's something you have to see all the abilities you are going to have, and learn how to use them. You can't do it leveling.
  7. Alenna Well-Known Member

same with my ILLy if I just power feed and buff like I"m supposed to I was told when we ran a PL session to get her from 92 to 95 to hit 2 attacks before I hit any of my temp buffs which is not what I'm supposed to do under normal circumstances I fwant to play my Illy or any toon the way they were meant to be played while leveling them not learn bad habits for group play. and my casual raid guild does not want to spend time leveling toons as a group we want to progress in the raids.
  8. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I'd take this one step further: At 95, raid buffed, stuff I can do is different than what I can do at 95 solo or even in a good heroic group. If I solo'd or grouped occasionally to level to max taking a year (say) to do it, the first time I'm raid or group buffed by someone different than I've played with so far or have a new shiny bit of gear on - my abilities change. I have to know what they are then, not what they used to be.

You don't have to level to learn how to play your class - you have to play your class where your level is. A level 20 Warden that just leveled to 25 is still not going to have any idea how to use their 4 hits of death save by painfully creaking to level 30..for example. Even your casting order and tempo changes based on your group makeup and the content you are facing - whether that's Blackburrow or Plane of War...it doesn't matter.

This isn't an arguement for insta-leveling, either. Playing this game from start to finish is fun. But there are some circumstances where you just don't want to see "These Boots Were Made For..." one more freaking time. You just want to have a viable character to see end-game. If you can't play it when you get there - that's you. You were as bad at 13 as you are at 95.
  9. Mack New Member

I generally wouldn't chime in on this stuff but if it's the Faliz on my server, the dude knows his class and almost every other imo. I can think of several people he's personally helped over the years in playing this game. While you're looking at the glass half empty and being critical of players in general, he's looking the glass half full and that players who don't PL their toons know how to play them. In everything he's said in this thread you fail to pick up on the fact that he's been talking about playing in groups, not raiding. Raiding starts well before level 95 in most guilds and guilds worth their weight in this game don't only raid end game content. They cycle it up and keep it interesting and give those players who haven't hit 95 a chance to raid lower end content and learn both group and raid play alike. The guy you're saying has to be carried isn't being carried at all. He's a seasoned player and he's simply looking at the good in players. You say he's not trying to improve himself then go to say that there isn't anything really to learn? Ask yourself if that makes sense. If there is nothing to learn how then are you going to improve yourself? If every class basically plays the same why do I never see the the Illusionist pull the zone for the group or raid? After all based on what you're telling us we need to learn is most efficient dps, heals and use of saves. All of that can be achieved before 95 and even I have to say at 95 no one has to completely relearn what they're doing. You can learn to play any class while you're leveling, it's not all about raiding in this game. While many of us enjoy raiding some, like Faliz, choose not to. I know this. If he asks us if he join us for a raid I know the guy well enough as a player that he can play his class(es) and pick up quicker than anyone I know. He simply isn't being cynical about it in the process.
  10. Jalek Active Member

If a person levels to cap solo or molo, their first few group outings will be learning experiences. As often as not, if the group doesn't know them they'll get a bunch of grief and avoid groups thereafter anyway.
  11. Obrynn New Member

Speaking of power lvling...there's some guy on AB that is selling PLing from 92-95 in 30 mins. If this isn't planned to be fixed, this method of pling is faster than any old method of PLing.
  12. Gilasil Active Member

LOL if they leveled to cap PLed even more so. There's a good chance they know even less about their character and it's abilities. Basically playing a new class is a learning experience no matter how you do it. But it's easier on everyone if you take the time to learn gradually.

Oh and for those who say all classes play the same. I don't believe it. A tank and a squishy dps class play the same? Please.

It's kind of lucky for a lot of people that they have dumbed down the game. I think of all the groups I've been in where the tank had no clue how to body pull but just mass grabbed stuff and relied on the group being overpowered and able to handle it. So many times I've wanted to scream at the tank to just stay there and I"ll body pull the stuff myself with my beastlord and I'll do it one encounter at a time like ANY LEVEL 90+ TANK SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO BUT MANY CAN'T. (Or DPS types who don't know what the aggro meter is.) But since things have been dumbed down it doesn't matter. He can be a complete pulling klutz, the DPS can rip aggro right and left, and the group can just kill everything anyway. And if they can't they'll say the encounter is too tough. Well, for them it is. Because they never bothered to learn and refuse to admit there is anything to learn.

But in a way I guess it doesn't matter because SoE has acomodated the PLing idiots who don't know how to play, and rarely put in such subtleties anymore.

As for the OP. They've killed PLing? That's a bad thing? While I really doubt PLing is dead, I don't think it would be a bad thing if it were. People really should spend more time with their class. I think it's better you have one toon that you really know how to play well, then 20 that you don't.

I always wonder how many of these people whining because it may take them more then a day to get to 90 are going to be whining in a couple .weeks about how they have nothing to do.

Take your freaking time. It'll be many months before the next GU and a year before the next expansion. You have the time.
  13. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

I think it's awesome that people are complaining it now takes two days to level cap.

And having to sit down and rethink your character at 95 is some silly sht. I play the same way at 95 as I did at 92 and I did at 80 and I was still doing the same basic things at level 24. I have a few more saves, snaps, buffs, and damage CAs, but I had all of those things at level 25. At level 95 I just have more of them and more AA. Fundamentals of playing the game and your roles in groups of tanking pulling positioning healing dpsing buffing etc can start at an early level. The main prob is you won't get low level groups... so might as well just get to end game where the groups are. And if you have been playing 7+ years... well you probably have 0.0% interest in level 1 - 94 content, because 95 is where endgame is and raiding is endgame and unless pvp is your thing... anything other than endgame is pretty much going to be solo.

Nothing substitutes for experience, and experienced players can pick up and play any class at 95 and be proficient in a week or less, especially if it is a role they are already good at.
  14. mouser Well-Known Member

If they want to eliminate power leveling, they should do what's been proven to work: a genkai system like FF XI.

Yeah, people beetch and moan, but it got the job done...
    So many things that game did right that no one else has really been able to copy since.
  15. Siveria New Member

Personally I think they should make it take 2-4 weeks to hit cap even if its a hardcore gamer, why? I am tired of mmo's that are bascally pointless since you hit lv cap in a day or so then raid for gear that is pointless due to no use for it, before wow came out mmo's were about the journey and community and such, now a days wow ruined mmorpgs and its all about LAWL I CAN HAS CAP IN ONE DAY !!!1!!!1, then these same people whine they are bored, I still thik ff11 is one of the better mmo's out there, simplyu for the fact that unless you got really good connections, your not going to get from 30 to 99 in 1 abyss party. Like I said mmo is supposed to be about the journey not about rushing to level cap then raiding. Is the raid gear in eq2 useful in pvp? or is it like wow where the raid gear is not even worth bothering with due to no uses for it anymore. Personally, if they wanna nerf pling make it so everyone has to be within 5 levels of each other even when mentored down, or 0 exp.
  16. Estred Well-Known Member

You just made my day with that quote about tanks, its why I main a tank. I started as an assassin and nothing aggravated me more than tanks who don't sit still once a mob is in position and doesn't need moving. As well as tanks who don't know what a body pull is. If you are on Guk and grouped with me you know I am a maniac and pull 15+ mobs at a time because I have enough survivability by myself to ensure half of them die. If I overwhelm my healer I slow down its a fine balance to tank outside of your normal group and sadly there is so much "friends/guild only" grouping now and days that yeah it's hard for a newbie to find a group sometimes without getting some of the more gracious raiders (or heroics but I tend to see raiders doing it more) to help them out.

If you want something new try forming those lower groups yourself on a new server as a class you don't play or a different archetype of your class I.E going from a Warrior to a Brawler or something of the like. It is amazing how different the game feels when you don't have all that plat and free gear lying in bank from your lvl 95.
  17. Liav Well-Known Member

There are many reasons why the exp changes are bad/wrong. Here's a few counter arguments for you.

1) All classes are already just varying degrees of the same thing. None of them are particularly hard to master, and honestly, no content in this game prior to the endgame prepares you for the endgame. Regardless of how they get their levels, I do not think that their level of understanding of how to play in endgame grouping/raiding circumstances is going to change much at all based on their experiences leveling up.

With that said, let me also say that ANY veteran of this game (that isn't terrible) can easily walk into ANY OTHER CLASS and perform very well on it in an extremely limited amount of time (like, a day).

2) If these changes were somehow looking to increase the actual amount of grouping in the earlier levels, this was probably the absolute worst way of doing it. Powerleveling is still extremely viable, and the fact that it takes longer will amount to nothing more than me (and other people that powerlevel) staying around in the areas even longer than before. It is discouraging to lose as much experience gain as we have, but tbh, I can just put in a few more hours keeping all of Palace of the Awakened on respawn to get it done, and make the lives of anyone actually trying to play the game the "proper" way a living hell.

I'm not saying that because I WANT to make their lives a living hell, but let's face it. People who powerlevel don't care about this game outside of the endgame, and thinking that this change would encourage us to "experience" it is an exercise in futility. Your game is old, it doesn't have a lot of replayability, and I don't care to keep my alts at anything less than max level for any duration of time.

3) This change is dumb. This game is 8(?) years old now. Changes like this are unwarranted this late in the game.
  18. Estred Well-Known Member

Sadly yes, I hate seeing a real lvl 70 group in PoA while someone is paying me to powerlevel them but I am doing what I am paid for and I pull the whole of 1 and a half rooms and murder it in less than 10 seconds while the legitimate group watches.
  19. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I just don't do it. If there is a legitimate group in the zone, I leave. That said, when was the last time you saw a legitimate group in a lower level zone - that didn't have ONE chrono'd or mentored high level person in it...(which basically powerlevels the group)?

It's not as organized as your PL'ing For Hire gig, but it's the same thing.
  20. Estred Well-Known Member

Eh... 6 months ago? At least it was back during DoV or Sentinels Fate but man that was a long time ago. For mid end content to become ran again we would need to double the existing playerbase with 100% new people who like we once did level and group with each other remaining mostly separate from high-end until they reached it.