New conjuror-useful and not useful spells

Discussion in 'Mages' started by JelliaJamb, Sep 1, 2017.

1. JelliaJamb New Member

I'm a handicapped player and need to keep my spell list to a minimum. I'm really a carpenter and only solo to support my furniture addiction, lol. I only group with people who know what a horrible player I am, so it's OK to suit myself, nobody expects me to top the dps list.

I am using the tank pet, I'm level 19, and I have the 10-year veteran mercenaries, who I can use for tougher mobs or groups. RIght now I'm using fiery annhilation, vampire bats, crystal blast, and animated dagger. Are there any other spells I should work into my single target spell set?

One of my questions concerns AOEs and group mobs. I have ice storm, theurgist's detonation, and earthquake, but they don't seem to do much damage? I have actually killed groups faster with single target spells and burning them down one at a time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Crastinal likes this.
  2. Punchalotadeeps Member

Macros all your single target dmg to "1", macro all your aoe/ae to "2", that would help ya out alot.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

At 19, you don't have all the spells you will end up with as a conjy.

Single Target: Crystal Blast (available from level 1) and Fiery Annihilation (available from level 3) turn out to be a big portion of your DPS because they cast fast and refresh fast. Right at the moment, dumbfire pets (starting at level 24, 35, and 80) are also kicking hiney pretty good.

Some single target attacks are kind of a waste of time, in terms of DPS. This would include Master's Strike (5), Vampire Bats (10), Petrify (16), and Winds of Velious (55). These you use only if better spells are on cooldown, and at higher levels you may just remove them from your hotbars to make space.

Area Attacks: Earthquake (blue AOE, from level 16), while it does a bunch of damage, is s-l-o-o-w-w, so you don't get as much damage per second from it, though you will use it situationally, especially if you want to pull a bunch of unlinked mobs at once. Your encounter-wide attacks (green AOEs) Ice Storm (level 2) and Shattered Earth (level 25) do more DPS than Earthquake, but not as much as your single-target Crystal Blast and Fiery Annihilation.

Main Pet: Right at the moment, for a conjuror's main pet, the scout pet (level 32) is working better than anything else. This has not always been the case. There will still be times when you may need your tank pet to actually tank something while you kill it. You get your mage pet soon (level 20) and it will do much more damage than the tank pet.

Upgrade Your Spells and Gear: I hope your pet spells are at least at Expert level. If not, get out and start harvesting to get rares and have a Sage craft them for you. If you find a Master version that you can afford, upgrade to Master. But absolutely don't be satisfied with the default version you get to start with... upgrade them to Adepts (check the broker) until you can get Experts or better. Upgrade your spells! They are to you what plate armor and a shield are for a tank! Prioritize main pets, pet heal, buffs, direct damage, in that order.

If you have good quality armor and jewelry, you can usually survive a hit or two, allowing a more DPS-centric pet time to kill your foe! As you travel, harvest EVERYTHING. What you don't use, sell on the broker. Rares can be made into cloth armor, daggers, staffs, wands, jewelry, charms, spells etc., and it's always cheaper to commission a crafter to make 'em for you. Mastercrafted gear is really, really helpful... you can do without, but if you have it, things get easier.

Body Pulling: Learn how to body pull. Body pulling is not just for tanks! If a group of monsters is not linked, you can edge up to "barely in noticing range". As soon as it notices you, backpedal! Before you or your pet hit it, let it get a little away from its swarms of friends, then attack. If you just clobber it while it's having a coffee break with its buddies, it may very well scream for help and the whole bunch of them will come at you, mad and ready to kill you, so instead, lure it away THEN kill it.

Kiting: Learn early to root things, then attack, back up, re-root, attack, etc. Upgrade Quicksand (level 5 and up) when you can (after the pets!). Nailing a monster's feet to the ground using Quicksand and staying out of range will let you beat bigger, badder things. This is less useful at higher levels, but at low levels you really want to have this down pat.
    Crastinal likes this.