New 110 Berserker Question

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Savaj, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Savaj New Member

Hi folks. I recently came back to EQ2 and used the 110 boost on a zerker.

When I did the boost I needed to do the pre-req for BoL access to the blinding. I had to have help doing the Chelsith run through because although I could survive the trash mobs I could not kill the bosses. It seems that my berserker takes FOREVER to kill anything.

While I'm questing in the blinding, I'm now taking forever to kill even-con mobs. I'm not sure if this is how its supposed to be with a boost or if I'm doing something horrendously wrong. Please see my profile and let me know if you have any ideas.

Any advice is appreciated.

https://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/450972312545
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Bludd Well-Known Member

3. dorotea Well-Known Member

Your gear is *worse* than starter gear for the zone. Resolve and potency are the key attributes now and some of your gear has less than the 145 resolve that the starter gear gives.

You are a fighter - that means that your damage output is weak. The trade-off for inferior damage is superior defense. A berserker is one of the better fighters for damage but even so.

Your skills are probably all or almost all at apprentice level. Which is as low as they can be. This too gives you terrible damage output.

Your best damage will come from ascension abilities. Especially etherialist. If you have done the panda quests (3 years of summer events) you get level 15 in every ascension class, a familiar, two bonus levels for a familiar, a mercenary, two premium houses, at least four very good white adornments (over 1k potency each) and more.

So my best advice is if you have not done the panda quests drop all else and do them. If you have done them make sure you have etherialist active and at level 15 or higher. If you can raise any useful abilities above apprentice (if that is where they are now) do so.
  4. Raff Well-Known Member

".....You are a fighter - that means that your damage output is weak. The trade-off for inferior damage is superior defense. A berserker is one of the better fighters for damage but even so...."

That is not correct. Well geared, well played Berserkers put out an enormous amount of dps. Our main raid tank in BoL consistently parses in the top 10% of the raid. Berserkers lack a lot of the taunts that Guardians have, so they tend to generate hate/agro with dps.

Stick with it, OP. You have a ways to go, but Zerkers are blast to play once you get going.
  5. Bhayar Well-Known Member

The problem with the boost to 110 for a new player is it makes you think you're ready for big time. You aren't...as you have discovered. It's like giving a 10 y/o a Maserati and thinking he's going to be competitive. My advice to someone who comes back after being gone since AoM and after using the boost is:
    1. Go to the starter point (rob the box of free loot from either Myrist or BoL starter point depending on where you start) or your access ability for BoL.
    2. Take time and do all the Panda Quests. Grab the "Daring" adorns of Tol Ren. Also grab several of the cyan adorns giving potency.
    3. Pick an Ascension class (check claims to see if you have any automatic boos to 15. Run the Pakiat faction line in PoM to get yourself up if you don't. If you do, report to either Myrist/BoL depending on xpac.
    4. Have fun and patience. Work your class spells up to expert and preferably do same with ascensions.
    5. Get a decent merc and pony. Start training them
    6. Depending on your fortitude and time commitment, you'll be ready for the prequel to actually run BoL.
    Alternatively, you can find a friend or guildie to help you through the access point, because it isn't designed for a new player.

Have some fun...
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Carynn Well-Known Member

I have found that going back and doing PoP until around level 114 will help a lot. I was able to complete it on an illy and a conjy without much issue at that level, using Myrist box gear and a couple panda adorns (pre-mage fix). Heck, you can level up to 120 doing PoP or CD, then do the prelude zone. Still, I agree, totally bupkis that the 110 boost doesn't include the gear needed to do the prelude zone with relative ease.
  7. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is it's not just a gearing issue for a returning player. It's a spell/Ascension as well. Going into the prelude zone with apprentice spells/CAs/ascension is brutal.
  8. dorotea Well-Known Member

>That is not correct. Well geared, well played Berserkers put out an enormous amount of dps.<

My impression had been that both berserkers and shadowknights put out less damage
    than a number of non-fighter classes though for fighters they do quite well. This was from testing at lower levels not 120. Perhaps I was simply wrong. Perhaps the berserker comes into its power later in life than some classes. Perhaps a berserker is more affected by crappy gear so with poor gear it seems inferior to a comparably geared scout but with very good gear it seems superior to a comparably geared scout.

In any event you know the class better than I do and I appreciate the correction.
  9. Soara2 Well-Known Member

When the prelude came out, it took me about 3 hours to run through and yeah there were some deaths. I was in CD MC gear, and not boosts.. Don't be so hard on yourself there. I see you made it through.. Sometimes it will just not be a quick journey..
  10. Treiko Active Member

While my serker is not my main, I have always had fun playing him. Running headlong into a throng of mobs and mowning them all down is a blast. My issue comes down to dingle target damage. When I did the prelude, I burned through the trash as expected, but named... they took forever. In fact, the last named took the longest because I ran out of mana. I was doing very little damage to the named, the named couldn't kill me... it was like watching a game of chess. It was so bad, after about 5 minutes I just stepped away. Went outside for a smoke... came back and guess what? Stiiiilllll fighting. I hate relying on mercs but apparently I am going to have to find a mindbender merc somewhere, or as the kids say these days "get gud". I think once that part is figured out, the rest will be a breeze. My point in all this is that serkers are very fun to play, but like most fighters will truly shine in a group.