New 100 SK Questions

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Kolamer, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Kolamer New Member

Hello everyone. So I decided to use my 100 boost on my 17 SK because why not right? Well, I bought him a full set of twark gear to replace the starter stuff and I set up my hotbars. While I can PL friends in agnostics no problem, I am not sure what exactly I am doing on that character. I dont know when to use what abilities other than randomly clicking on things when they are available.

Can someone please give me some good macro suggestions with abilities? Also is there somewhere I can go to simply learn about a level 100 SK, their skills, and when to use them?

Thanks everyone!
  2. Simien Active Member

Here lies the problem with the level 100 boost.

My advice is to read over your AA's and what they do, read over your spells/abilities and what they do. Then run solo's until you can figure out what exactly works for you then try your hand in a group.

I cannot speak for everyone but I would guess most people aren't that eager to help a player whom went from 0-100 with the click of a button then asks how to play said toon. If you would have leveled the SK from 0 on your own you most likely would not be asking how to play the toon.

Best of luck.
    Raff likes this.
  3. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I suggest you find a guild that is looking for a tank to help them. They will help you and you will help them, just be patient and know that raiding may be quite some time down the road for them AND you, as they may not be able to get a large enough raid force and you will need lots of gear and practice. But if you find a good guild that you get along with and they can help you, you will all benefit!

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

There are several good tanking "guides" to learn the principles. Check the forums for info. Maergoth, who's a pally, has an excellent tanking fundamentals guide.
    If you want to tank, there are several fundamental principles you have grasp and execute well on. Here's some basics:
    1) Learn what your taunts are and when to use them. Nothing is worse than telling a L67 tank to use a particular taunt and you hear, "I don't have that yet," when in fact it's a L10 taunt.
    2) Learn how (and when) to pull mobs. Hint: running around the room and pulling everything ain't it. Learn how to body pull, use a taunt to pull, or ranged.
    3) Learn to keep the mobs facing you. Nothing marks someone as a "noob" faster than having his/her group behind them. If you can't see your group, you're in the wrong tanking position.
    4) Learn how to grab roamers or pull aggro off someone.
    5) Learn to take charge of your group. Don't be afraid to have a word or boot some ****** that thinks he/she should be pulling mobs. Don't be afraid to let them die if they can't grab the idea that your job is pulling, not theirs. The old saying, "you pull it, you tank it," can work wonders.
    6) As mentioned previously, learn your spells (not just what they are, but when to use them), and position your similar spells/CAs in close proximity on the UI. In other words, all your single target taunts should be together. I position my group taunt near my AOEs for fundamental reasons.
    7) Learn how to communicate with your group. Let your group know hen you're pulling. Macro your death save and when it goes off, so healers know, etc.

Solo the heck out of your toon to learn the fundamentals for how your spells, taunts and CAs work. Then group with some guildies or a PUG to learn the fundamentals. Listen to feedback if it's given. Mentor down if you need to to get groups and learn the strats for dungeons, etc.
    Also, make sure your armor is always repaired, don't run out of ranged ammo and you have needed supplies (like food/drink) on hand.
    Have fun!!
  5. Melt Actually plays the game

Something simple and easy to overlook is recovery speed. I think recovery speed NEEDS to be capped on SK, especially, due to lifetaps and reaver. Cap hate mod, then stack up potency and health. You should know that currently SKs are some of the weakest tanks. I don't know how Monks are, but SK is at the bottom, threatwise. Honestly, if you care more about effectiveness than playstyle, betray to pally and never look back, but if you like SK, that's totally fine! But threat generation can be a problem for SKs.