Nerf to Greater Spirit drop rate?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Twofeets, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Rotherian Well-Known Member

The problem with using words/phrases like "most" or "a majority" is that, in the absence of indisputable data (such as information gleaned directly from the game database), they are based upon incomplete data. If you don't know the total number of accounts with characters on each of the servers where you play, you can't really accurately judge the proportion of the people chatting about the "issue" to the total server population. So, even if 99% of the people in chat are complaining about the drop rate, that 99% of the people in chat could (not necessarily does, but could) represent 10% or less of the total server population - especially since those that experience a decent drop rate are unlikely to complain about it.

In essence, all I'm really stating is that either situation could be the norm, and as such, each person on the forums is entitled to relay their personal experiences. Since the devs have access to the database, they can query the appropriate information from it and determine which of the two situations is the norm and which is the statistical outlier.
    Alenna likes this.
  2. Taysa Well-Known Member

I think you give yourself entirely too much credit.
    Alenna and Mae- like this.
  3. Mae- Well-Known Member

I don't run very many instances at all, but before the patch, I went at least 5 zones without seeing a spirit drop, and only getting a couple obols. After the patch, I ran 4 or 5 zones, and got 3 spirits and 5 or 6 obols. So yeah, I might be an outlier, but since most people in this thread are saying they are seeing the same or more, and only one is loudly repeating that we're wrong, I'm gonna go with the "nothing has changed" crowd.
  4. Archaical Active Member

Really? It was my thread about it, which was the only thread about it mind you, that turned into a 8 page discussion. It was my thread that a dev responded to saying that the change was coming after I riled up the community enough. It was my thread that put the ball in motion to get the change to happen. It was my threa that you can thank. You're welcome.
  5. Mae- Well-Known Member

LOL! You posted 4 times in that 6 page discussion. Atan clearly spearheaded the movement that lead to the change, even if you started the thread. *I* posted in that thread more than you did, but I don't run around claiming it was my idea.
  6. Estred Well-Known Member

Let me be more specific then, an Obol would have the same drop rate as Legendary Armor meaning you can expect one about 30-50% of the time, I thought I had typed the "rare" would be a Spirit but upon re-reading my post I misspoke. Here are some estimates for drop rates from solo zones. I personally disagree with the idea of giving Solo Players currency for Heroic Gear but times are changing and it seems I am of an older mindset (I.E I liked how things were in TSO/SF with Gear and think CoE screwed up royally).
    - Obol: 1 drops about 50% of the time.
    - Spirit: 1 drops about 5% of the time.

Solo-Legendary (160's) is also lesser than Heroic Legendary so giving them Steward Tokens does let them bypass grouping, which is why I am saying keep the rate at roughly 50% of the time. The game needs time-gates of sorts to prolong the gearing up process to keep us playing longer while they develop new content. Nox Incessit and The Pirate Kings are actually kind of fun.

Keep in mind the other part of my suggestions, we get a Quest for a guaranteed 2-6 (yes I changed this) Obol from any Heroic Zone thus eliminating the random aspect of getting them. Perhaps leave the Random Ones from Overland Named. If I had to list the Obol Per zone I would do so as follows.
    - Wurmbones End: 6
    - Harrows End: 6
    - Wurmbones Crag: 5
    - Chelsith the Ancient Vault: 4
    - Sleepers Tomb: 4
    - Throne of Fear: 3
    - Temple of the Faceless: 2
    - Dreadcutter: 2

Maybe also offer a Quest for 3 Greater Spirit to kill.
    - Baelon of Thule
    - Prime Magnate Mrelg
    - The Spirit of the Deep
    (Basically a combination of 3 bosses in Heroic Zones). This ensures that for your time you get 1 spirit per zone with the chance to get an extra... though Adornment prices may have to be tweaked to account for the new influx this would cause.
    Kraeref likes this.
  7. Alenna Well-Known Member

aah like they did with shards in DoV I Like this idea.
  8. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Estred, i like your clarification. Thank you!
  9. Taysa Well-Known Member

Grats. I feedback'd it before your thread was posted. You're welcome.
  10. Regolas Well-Known Member

LOL at anyone who is so big headed but also kind of lame that they want to take credit for changing a stupid gate that pretty much everyone complained about because past xpacs all had a bypass option for alts.