Need some coercer/illu clarifications please.

Discussion in 'Mages' started by JackoJames, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Ranga Active Member

Yes, I guess I know what you are saying but I'm fromt he school of hard knocks and anyone doesn't realise they are out of heal range really deserves to run out of hit points :)
  2. Ucala Well-Known Member

atm I parse between 1.5mil-2mil on my illy, I 've only been back for 2 days and still in 70% old gear :p
    as for specs. melee is the new melee. it's the way to go (as long as the fight is acceptable) tbh I would run around with both a wand AA spec and a 2h AA spec
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

*chuckle* Oh, I don't chase people who are out of range. I tell them they're out of range and expect them to get their butts IN range ;)
  4. Kalika Well-Known Member

Our low heal range is really detrimental, i truly enjoy the fact that my inquisior has several heals with 35 meters range (unbuffed). Ressurection is a nighmare , 10 meters, my mystic has 40.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

Standard heal range is 20m. I don't see that as 'bad'. But then, even on my mages, I don't see any reason to stand in the other room, rather then on the mobs butt with the rest of the group or raid ;) Makes it easier on the tank(s) if there is a mem-wipe. Easier to find if you die, in range for all buffs, heals cures.
    I understand standing a short way back and not having to move to stay in melee range when the mob shifts, but I've never understood the players who want to stand in the next room at total max range on the mob. ((Aside from a few extremely annoying strats that enforce such behavior :p ))
  6. Kraeref Well-Known Member

I am in MT or OT group. Groups are running warden/ mystic or defiler/inq. And I am ranging. Usually I am the last man standing even with wards and ts applied. Every aoe can be avoided or jousted or warded. What I love about ' ranged is a new melee' is that we now have a choice of a playstyle.

So I go for pot and ab mod. I also put dps in places for SWB. Helps alot for ranged auto.
    Get your magic skills and focus up. Focus skill is one of the most important for your spell weapon to hit harder. Look at your ACT.
    It would show crush as an outgoing autoattack but it has nothing to do with weaponry skills. As mages we can also cure, except for curses of course. But our healers never fail to cure anything. What is the actual range of cures and heals? 20 or 25 meters? So I assume I am still within the range.

I am replying to you Mermut but it's not really aimed at you. It is only with regards to us being away from healers.:)

Pulled yesterday over a mil dps on named in AS. Was very happy. Gear I am sure will help to get it up.
    Better geared coercers can put out more.

Our illy puts out about the same as Ucala. Pot and ab mod do wonders for a ranging chanter ;)
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

Part of the issue, as a healer, is that somebody intentionally standing out of range of my AoE blocker is wasting my time.. as I have to take extra time out to cure them because they want to stand way out. Yes, I do cure them, but I also request, in chat, that they come close enough to get covered by my blocker. Part of the point of an AoE blocker is so the healers don't HAVE to cure all the DoTs (also blocking the initial hit and/or removing the need to joust).
    The coercer I regularly run with is pulling parses like you're mentioning as from melee. (not saying melee is better, just that it's still just as viable).

In summary, ranging is find, but there's no need to stand in the other room while you do it.
  8. Gnomad_Madgon Active Member

I prefer to Melee I don't mind timing my auto attacks. I use potency/crit bonus gear, weapon damage bonus is nice but not worth the loss of potency, I do use the no stamina DPS gear when I can. I would really love to see an eight second two hander, (EQ2 2013 fan fair, EQ2 Panel #3: Itemization Evolves - Two handed: 6 seconds and 8 seconds). For now I use a six second two hander, and have my sights on the seven second two hander from PK raid. If you like to melee stick with it, going the ranged route is convenient for easier play since there is no need to time your auto attacks. I have not delved too deep into the ToV raid zone yet, but so far, for me in both ToV heroic and raid zones there are no fights where I have to fight from ranged with a solid healer in group.

Gnomad-Crushbone
  9. Kraeref Well-Known Member

So it is really the same output damage either to melee or range. I range b/c of exactly what Gnomad said. I don't need to time anything and I still get very nice damage output:)
    I never get complains from my healers for being out of range. So I am in range.

Note that u still can range even being in melee (10meters). So you can trully do both.
    Mermut likes this.
  10. Kraeref Well-Known Member

SWD bonus is on the same gear as WD bonus. You are missing an increase on your weapon base damage no matter if it's 2h or a wand.
    Food for thoughts.

EDIT: all in all everybody choses how they want to perform at their best as long as they do their job right :)

Good luck all on your fights and kills no matter you melee or range!