Need new laptop. Considering these specs. Are they OK?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by VivoDivo, Aug 6, 2022.

1. VivoDivo Member

Don't want to spend more than I need to. Will be using new laptop only for EQ2, no other game.

This is what I'm considering. Is it OK for EQ2, not enough, or a bit over the top?

Lenovo - Legion 5 Pro 16" WQXGA Gaming Laptop - Ryzen 7 6800H - 16GB Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti (is this OK? 3060 and 3070 much more expensive)
    512GB SSD
    Screen res: 2560 x 1600 and dedicated graphics (doesn’t say how much GB)

Thanks!
  2. Benj Well-Known Member

With those specs, you can probably run EQ2 on max graphics settings. Even if you can't, you can definitely hit 60 fps on the Balanced setting. Keep in mind that EQ2 is an older game. While it enjoys newer hardware, it doesn't require newer hardware, and often won't give you quite as much benefit as you'd think. I've run this game on the GeForce 8800 GTS, GT 240, GTX 460, GTX 1060, and RTX 3070. All of those cards worked great, so the RTX 3050 Ti you're considering is just fine. (I'm half convinced the 8800 was the best of all of them.)
    VivoDivo and Sturmlocke like this.
  3. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hail Vivo,

I agree with Ben here. Those specs should allow you to run EQ2 at max settings and a smooth framerate. That said, if you notice fps or other performance issues, that might just be Windows + DirectX9. If the machine is meant to be used for EQ2 exclusively, you might want to give a Linux OS a try on it and see how it performs with the vastly superior Vulkan API:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/eq2-on-linux-and-mac-guide.604032/

I am running EQ2 on much weaker hardware than what you're targeting and I'm getting smooth 60+ fps on max settings even when recording gameplay as you can see here.

If the machine is purely for gaming and nothing else and if you don't mind using Steam, check this out:

https://chimeraos.org/

ChimeraOS is what I use on my living room PC. Yes, I play EQ2 with a PS4 controller from the couch on a 55" huge TV screen from time to time - mostly when soloing and when I have my kids with me. More often than not I am seeing way above 100 fps on my old Optiplex 7050 PC at maximum settings (see Mac and Linux guide for specs). Anyway, ChimeraOS = a highly, highly trimmed down and highly optimised Linux distribution meant for one thing: GAMING. Everything about it has been built to maximise performance on your PC for a console like gaming experience, which results in superior performance and overall stability.

One last thing though, if you're willing to go the Linux route, it's recommended to go for an AMD gpu instead of Nvidia, mainly because of the superior AMD open source drivers, which are being worked on by major third parties, such as Valve and more. AMD = your best bet when it comes to Vulkan / Steam Proton gaming performance on Linux.

Cheers
    VivoDivo and Rosyposy like this.
  4. AOE1 Well-Known Member

I found that at times it was that I had not updated my drivers which didn't allow me the quality I was expecting. Not the equipment itself. Changed that and walla.... Fixed many issues.
    Twyla likes this.