Need Info, Questions Please

Discussion in 'General Mage Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Siteofthor, Jan 1, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Siteofthor Guest

I rolled an Illy and he is lvl 12 now. I just got back into EQ2 from WoW and a long time off. I played at first release and in beta, that's how long it has been. I am trying to figure out what mage class I want to play. I am assuming since so much time as passed I need a class that is solo friendly. I also want to be very much wanted in groups and group friendly. However I do not want to play a healer or tank. I would want to be either utility or dps however I do want to be at the top of my game and have the ability to be close to the top in terms of performance once I learn my toon. Is Illy for me or should I go coercer or wizzy or warlock? I am assuming necros and conjurers don't have alot to offer a group in in game content?
    I also here that at end game CC is useless?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Site
  2. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

CC is pretty useless at end game, however, don't let that dissuade you from playing one of those classes, they are still very much in demand for their other utility.
    Of the Mages, I would rate their solo-ability from best to worst as follows: Necromancer, Conjuror, Coercer, Wizard, Illusionist, Warlock. I have solo'ed Conjuror, Wizard and Illusionist (betrayed to Coercer afterwards) to cap.
    Honestly, Necro and Conjy are very equal, the reason I rate Necro higher is because you can always FD if things go really, really badly.
  3. ARCHIVED-Lamprey_02 Guest

Eh, I always maintained that conji solos better than a necro. Necros are safer, but conjurers kill MUCH faster, so while a necro will practically never die while soloing a conjuror will get more exp/loot in the same amount of time while soloing.
    In the end though, as the poster above me said, the two are very, very equal.
  4. ARCHIVED-NightHawke Guest

I have a Illusionist that is like 24, and a Conjurer that is 40 something I think, and a 20 something Necro, and a teen wizard.
    Illusionist and Conjurer have to try to die to mess things up. Seriously. I started a coercer again, so I will find out more, but Conjurer and Illy both are pretty high in survivability. You can juggle mobs (remember your pet buffs) with relative ease. I still have mana problems ... at least more than I think I should be. But mini dings are epic.
  5. ARCHIVED-das2000uk Guest

Just to let you know i have a Wiz/Illy/Conjy/Nec and Lock on various accounts. They are only in the later 20's early 30's. I love using them all they all have big pluses and big minuses.
    My pref if i had to choose would be either the wiz/conjy or nec and it would be a tough choice to choose between those three for me. I suggest you create all three, play them get to know them a little and you will soon find which one suits you best.
  6. ARCHIVED-NightHawke Guest

True. The minus I have is that you really need to have your pet out for the damage. I wish the wizard had the same ease and safety as the Conjurer,Necro and Illy. I am not a pet fan... or at least just have the pet out for giggles.