Need help with google chrome problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Katz, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Katz Well-Known Member

I mistyped the url to eq2zam and ended up who knows where at a malware site.

This is all I can find on my problem: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/wLzHodqWFCc

The only problem is I can't find the file they say to delete to fix the problem.

I have Windows 7. I want to open google chrome without opening the previous tabs. Until I find out how to do this I will not be able to even use google chrome.

Any suggestions?
  2. Katz Well-Known Member

Well I uninstalled it and told it to remove everything. Then I reinstalled it and that fixed the problem. However, I would still like to know how to force it to not open recent tabs in case this happens again.
  3. Malleria Well-Known Member

Well, there's an easy way and a hard way.

Easy way: in the top-right of your chrome window there should be a button that looks like 3 horizontal bars, one on top of the other - click that to bring down a menu, and on that menu click settings. On the settings page, the second header is "On Startup". There should be 3 check boxes/circles under the header.
    1. Open the New Tab page - opens a single blank tab with nothing in it.
    2. Continue where you left off - opens all the tabs and pages that you had open the last time you closed the browser.
    3. Open a specific page or set of pages - this lets you create a list of set pages you want it to open when you start the browser. (This is what I use, I have it open my email, a few forums, facebook etc, pages that I use very frequently).
    What you don't want is #2. It's up to you if you want to set it to #1 or #3, but either will work.

The Hard way (deleting the file the help-forum article suggests): Open windows explorer (ie, double click my computer). Go to your C:, then to Users, then to whichever user profile you log in as (if you're the only one using the computer there'll probably only be two options, you want the one that isn't Public), then you want to go to the AppData folder.

AppData is a hidden folder, so if you can't see it: at the top of the window click Tools, and choose Folder Options. In the Folder Options click the View tab. In the box with the scroll bar, below 5 check boxes, there'll be a header "Hidden files and folders". Under that header are two check circles - show and don't show hidden files, folders and drives. Select Show and click ok.

Now that you can see it, go in to AppData, then to Local, then to Google, then Chrome, and then to User Data. Inside User Data there are a number of folders and files. One of the files should be Local State.

Deleting the file should be totally unnecessary if you change the setting in the Easy way.
  4. Katz Well-Known Member

Thanks! That was very helpful. I will chose the easy way and set it up to open a specific set of pages.
    Malleria and Moonpanther like this.