Need advise on which tank to choose

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Fantar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Fantar New Member

Hello i would like some opinion and advise on what tank class would fit well whit a warden between a bezerker and a monk...our goal is just to be able to explore donjon and have fun .
    Right now i have a ranger and i do ok tanking heroic when outside but in donjon or where many add can come along its a bit more complicate to keep all on me .

Can be open to other class but i might a bit more convincing for those lol

p.s. we are atm on free to play if it make a difference
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Nazy Well-Known Member

In order I would rank the tanks:

Shadowknight. That would let the Warden DPS more with Shadowknight's lifetaps. Harm Touch does wonders at lower levels.

Berserker. Later levels they have incredibly powerful AoEs and get self-heals.

Monk. Later they get a group FD (5min recast) and can do moderate DPS. At 120, they do great DPS.

Bruiser. A bit more DPS in general compared to Monk but Monk has better utility and gets group FD at higher levels.

Pally. They can heal, but their DPS is lacking.

Guardian. They just don't DPS. Great raid and group tanks though.

I would also recommend:
    Summoner. Pet + DPS. I duo a Conj with a Fury and so far we've had lots of fun, even able to challenge higher heroics.

Play the class YOU enjoy the most. That's how you get the most out of this game.
    Triad and Soara2 like this.
  3. Fantar New Member

a lot of good info thank you it help a lot , im leaning toward beserker i like the aoe and was surprise to learn they get some form of healing too
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

If you're not going to raid, I don't think it's hugely important which one you go for.

The strongest tanks in the game are guardian and monk, by a significant margin. The highest dps tank is monk by a country mile. In group content though, like I say, it probably doesn't matter and you should maybe try to check a few out and see what you like.
    Obano and Soara2 like this.
  5. Priority Well-Known Member

Im not sure monk is as far ahead on dps as folks think. Short, sub 45s fights they're hard to beat, especially with 4+ second ability lag, but once they start missing dragonfire resets, they fall off pretty hard.
    Soara2 and Nazy like this.
  6. Nazy Well-Known Member

The OP did say they are FTP currently, so I wouldn't jump ahead with a Monk just because they are good at 120. Honestly, Monks are overrated. You really need to be 120 for a Monk to do good DPS. But until then, Shadowknights are still stronger in my opinion. Berserkers are also very strong post-50.

If you want AoEs, Shadowknight and Berserker have the most.
    Soara2 likes this.
  7. Breanna Well-Known Member

Not one of your choices I know but I'd take Pally any day of the week. I love my Pally. But between the 2 you mentioned I'd go Monk, my Monk does decent. Zerk's don't seem to have a lot of dps imo but mine is only OMG I forgot what level she is I think 67 or something.
    Soara2 and Dude like this.
  8. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Monks who blindly follow the meta will fall down when the RNG kicks them in the nutsack. Personally I don't have this problem. If I'm not top 3 or 4 in our raid on any given fight, there's either something wrong, or it's a ranged fight and I'm not tanking.
    Snikkety likes this.
  9. Nekre Active Member

People say monk by a mile, zerkers keep up with monks EASILY.
    Basically if your wanting to tank in raids, Monk/Guardian is the better way to go. If you want to just tank heroics SK/Zerker is the way to go, the other tanks, not worth it.

All tanks can be great MT's in raid or heroics, as long as played correctly.
    Priority likes this.
  10. Obano Well-Known Member

This is definitely not true. Monks are far more DPS than Bruiser. Overall Bruiser is the weakest and least played of all 6 tanks. If you play one you will be treated like a pariah unless you are insanely good. The class generally isn't even viable unless you have a full P2W kit. Then you are only paying just to be mediocre. I would not recommend this class to new players. Bruiser is only for the most skilled and dedicated players. Bruiser is EQ2 on hardmode.
  11. Priority Well-Known Member

Lol, the ONLY reason that bruiser "isn't viable" is because of where monks are with their overall kit. It's like Rangers. They're fine, Assassins just do EVERYTHING better.

Bruiser/Ranger could use something, but they're not anywhere remotely as useless as you want to pretend they are.
    Snikkety likes this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The problem isn't ranger DPS, the problem is the utter lack of utility for rangers. That's not equivalent to the monk/bruiser issue.
    Obano likes this.
  13. Priority Well-Known Member

The problem absolutely is a dps issue. When the assassin is 7-10 times the dps of the ranger, that's an issue.

Like I said, Assassin does EVERYTHING better, by a large factor.
    Smashey likes this.
  14. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

/facepalm

Ranger is T1 dps, and lacking dps isn't the problem? Death, destruction, damage, that's what predators do. If they're focussing on anything else at any time, they're selling themselves short. Mentioning predators and utility in the same sentence shows considerable lack of understanding of the game.
    Smashey and Snikkety like this.
  15. Obano Well-Known Member

Rangers definitely aren't fine either if that is the standard you are using. A class that does 1/10th the dps of it's counterpart isn't viable at all. I agree it is mainly a DPS issue though with Bruisers competing for limited tank slots it is a much more precarious situation. If I don't use my ascensions a Monk will do ten times my damage. With celestial ascensions it maybe narrows down to 3 times the damage. Either way that is not viable and it is not "fine."

Playing a Bruiser is almost like playing a classless character. I basically play an etherealist that just looks like a Bruiser. It is not just a Monk vs Bruiser issue because I have to complete with Zerkers and Shadow Knights that are just as powerful as monk. What I said before was 100 percent true. Bruiser is the weakest of the 6 tanks and inexperienced players should avoid them.
  16. Melt Actually plays the game

bruiser>pally
    Twofeets likes this.
  17. Nekre Active Member

The fact you just said Rangers are a T1, makes me think you dont know any other class than monk. Sorry to say, you wont see ANY ranger equally skilled and geared as a sin/warlock/wiz/conj/necro be outparsing them. They need a lot of dps help compared to the others.
  18. Nazy Well-Known Member

The fact that you think that Ranger is not T1 makes me think you are another ignorant 120 player. No offense meant there, just my honest opinion.

A few things:
    1) Ranger is a good DPS class pre-Ascension because Ascension ruins everything.

2) As I just said, Ascension ruins everything. You want DPS? Become a Etherealist. It really is basically that simple.
    Imagine playing as a Mystic post-100 without a Merc or Ascension. Imagine playing any class without Ascension post-100.

3) When new players are asking for help choosing a class, USUALLY they aren't 120 already. So why talk about how good a class is a 120 when they might not reach that for a long time?

4)
    Monks are not far more DPS than Bruisers pre-Ascension. Bruisers are the offensive Brawler and have AAs for DPS increase. With game-ruining Ascension, Monk is higher DPS.

Bruiser is not for the most skilled players. Again, at 120 they may be but before then I would not count them out.

A Warlock cannot even remember to clear out their hotbars of former versions of spells and who doesn't even know all their spells at level 95 is also playing an alt Bruiser and finds Bruiser much easier. Yes, at higher levels it may be harder but, again, this is pre-100, pre-Ascension, because the OP hopefully will not PL to 120 just to realize how much fun they missed.

I also really hope that T1 meant T1 DPS. :)
    Triad likes this.
  19. Nekre Active Member

Nazy, i cant tell if you actually play the game or not. We are talking about NOW, stop being dumb and saying "pre ascensions" that was 3 expansions ago. Its how dps is now. Get over it. Rangers have NO damage compared to the other T1's they all have broken spells. Warlock - Decimation, Sin - FFU, Necro/Conj pets/swarms. Ranger has what?
    Snikkety likes this.
  20. Revanu Well-Known Member

This thread needs a trophy
    Breanna and Snikkety like this.