Necromancer PvP

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Kimaji, May 17, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Kimaji Guest

Hi, I'm a new EQ2 player. I'm really enjoying the game and the Necromancer class, but I suck at PvP. I have always enjoyed the PvP aspect of MMOs, so really want to get better. I am a 24 dark elf with 17 AA points on Vox server. I guess I am just asking for some pointers from the veteran necros out there that may make me stand a better chance.

My biggest problem is dying in what seems like 2 seconds against any class. Even if I get the jump on them, they turn around and kill me. I just got fear and thought that would help, but it doesn't really seem to. Any help/pointers/suggestions/tactics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. ARCHIVED-bassmasta54 Guest

Welcome to the game! Unfortunatly, it's pretty much common knowledge that necros suck at PvP. When you're fighting a mob, they're dumb and they'll attack your pet. But when you're fighting an actual person, they'll go straight for you. The bad aspect of necros: they have almost no health. Most of they're pets, the tanks anyway, have more health than them. I'm sure there are a few necros that are surviving with the damage+heal spells (you've got lifetap now), but most PvP-ers would just reroll. Necros are really fun, but I would suggest going to a PvE server. That's what I did.
  3. ARCHIVED-Kimaji Guest

Haha, ok, well that sort of makes me feel better. Too bad the most appealing class to me is no good at one of my favorite parts of the game. It is good to know its not just me though, since normally I'm at least an average pvp player. I think I'll stick it out on the PvP server though, I don't mind playing a gimped class, it'll just feel that much better when I actually do get kills.
  4. ARCHIVED-Eviljoe2 Guest

I am by no means a PVP expert, and I believe duels in PVE work differently than actual PVP...but some tips that have made me make a dent before dying.

-Use tank pet esp. against other casters as the tank pet will taunt and make them change their target to the pet off of you.
    -Your root refreshes pretty fast, user your stun and root to keep as much distance between you and melee as possible.
    -Unload.....use your swarm pets, get your dots off, and life tap.
    The goal is here to make their health go down so much, while keeping your distance, that they panic and try to heal, or mitigate with whatever they have...then your dots and pet will finish them off.

Just so you know....I have played a Necro in every MMORPG I have played, but I recently started a brigand....he is now lvl 64.....I have more fun with him than I did my Necro....he drops mobs very fast, and from what I heard, Brigs do well in PVP.
    Just to let you know that a person who likes the necro, may also enjoy the brigand very much.

But IF YOU STAY WITH NECRO....I hope some very experienced PVP necros can help you by posting good strategies.

Thanks,
    Eviljoe
  5. ARCHIVED-WasFycksir Guest

You are new so I won't say "search" is your friend, though I kinda just did, didn't I.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=415425
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=415239
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=413057
    I am sure there are more too, I didn't take the time to search the regular PVP forum or go deeper here.
    Some points that need to emphasized though-
    You need to survive to win, so the tank pet with Perceptor Command and Shockwave is a good combo for solo/duo pvp.
    For groups the scout and mage are fine.
    Fear/roots have an immunity in PVP after they stick, so take that into consideration.
    Dumbfires can be useless and even harmful against classes that can feigh death or force a targeting drop. If you you take the time to cast a dumbfire against these classes you will lose.
    Get the rotting line first, including Lifeburn. Though Lifeburn can be tricky in PVP, search the threads.
    Tainted Heals is useless for PVP, but uber for PVE (farming for better gear for better PVP)
    PVP at low levels really sucks, gets a bit better for a couple tiers, then sucks again. I you like a challenge and PVE as well as PVP a necro can be a fun toon. They are great for twinking out more solo friendly classes!
  6. ARCHIVED-jam3sD Guest

http://www.wipido.com/video/854

how a necromancer fairs in group pvp.

i dont know much about the lower levels besides wanting to get max bloodcoil/soulrot and max fear/stun aa's.

tank pet line works well with the instant cast stun and pet taunt that works in pvp for 1second. Use tank pet it has good control effects like a root/fear

i can tell in tier 8 we are paper, u need to get all of the stoneskin pvp gear and ward items which i use...

if your soloing i generally try to get the fear off then cast dumbfires (undead horde if ur high enough ). Then ill try to get off the stun...followed by your main dot which is unresistable..then lifetap etc etc.